Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #21
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I cut my board and swithched to a home size queen mattress also. Most people here don't like the mattress that comes with the trailer. Buy whatever home style queen mattress you like. IMHO

h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #22
jrmart77
Established Member

M.O.C. #17919
Like others, cut the bed board down and purchased a Stearns & Foster Queen mattress. We also have two of these in our house.
jrmart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #23
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Ordered ours with a queen (we have queen at home). Nice to have the extra room; think it would be tight with a king.

Since you ordered yours that way was there nay difference in the space on the sides in the slide out from what a King had, filler, cabnet?
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #24
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
Since you ordered yours that way was there nay difference in the space on the sides in the slide out from what a King had, filler, cabnet?
Yes, the king would have completely filled the width of the slide out. We have small shelves on either side about 10" above the platform height and a small bit of usable space under the shelves (big enough for a cat). I don't recall if the king has the shelves.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #25
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Ours came with king and had those useless shelves
( put your glasses on them & hope for the best )
Shelves came off !
We then added 3” memory foam topper, now it’s the best bed ever!
Making the bed has not been an issue.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #26
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Ours came with a king but it was a really thin mattress and, because of the shelves on either side, you couldn't put a thicker mattress in the space. The mattress went under the shelves. We didn't want to give up those bedside shelves. Anyhow, as others did, we cut down the frame and put in a queen. It is soooooo much easier to make the bed and to move around it.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #27
Ssuesi
Established Member

M.O.C. #19072
We had a king, special ordered an extremely nice queen from a local mattress store in Grand Rapids MI that made to order. The extra room on the sides in nice for making the bed, getting in and out of the closest and also gave me a bit more storage along side the sides at the head of the bed for things like laptop computer back pack, fans, the vac attachments, knitting/sewing kit. Also, didn’t have to worry about buying king bedding. Already had extras at home. Get a good mattress, you can’t go wrong.
Ssuesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #28
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
We have a king and wish we would have gone with a queen. Extra space around bed would be most welcome.
Maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #29
Kfr101960

M.O.C. #21243
We actually changed from the king to a queen for the extra room and like it much better.
Kfr101960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #30
cghsatx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22453
Quote:
We are looking at a new Montana and want a queen bed mostly because that what we have at home, but it should give a little more room around the bed. Everything I see is king and everyone talks about king.

Is there anyone that has a queen, is the extra room around the sides significant?
I have a new 2019 3731 with a king mattress ($300 extra). Please beware that at least on mine, the supporting piece of plywood is for a queen mattress, such that the edges of the king mattress have no support. I wanted the dealer (Crestview RV in Selma TX) to change out the support but according to them and Keystone, that is the normal king size setup. As long as the mattress is not a short queen, I'd get a queen size for the extra room and to avoid having no support on the edges of your king mattress. There is no place to sit in the bedroom so you have to sit on the edge of bed, which has no support.
cghsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #31
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
Ours came with a king and we ordered a queen memory foam mattress from Amazon. We didn't have to cut the platform. We like the extra room around the bed with the queen.
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #32
miton 5052
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21569
Ours came with a king,DW has no problem making it (she does not want my help).plenty of room for our furry friend(dog).Guess it comes down to would you want the room to run around the bed,or in the bed
miton 5052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #33
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
We have a 305RL that came with a King. Had the dealer move our queen mattress into the unit and I cut down the bed frame wo fit the queen mattress. Our concern was the same as your's, we wanted the extra space to make it easier to move around the bed and have space for things like a CPAP and SoClean.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #34
Kckc

M.O.C. #21708
We have replaced the king with a queen twice. For us it is the only way to go. Easier to move, easier to make the bed. Just works much better for us.
Kckc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #35
gen3rbc

M.O.C. #22552
Quote:
We are looking at a new Montana and want a queen bed mostly because that what we have at home, but it should give a little more room around the bed. Everything I see is king and everyone talks about king.

Is there anyone that has a queen, is the extra room around the sides significant?
Our Montana purchased one month ago came with the king. We asked the salesman to swap it for the queen and he made it happen!
gen3rbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #36
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
buy the king. junk the factory mattress. install a top of the ( best for you) queen.

for me ( no wife) thinking a single. saves on weight. and gives lots more floor space.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #37
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslopez65 View Post
Ours came with a king but it was a really thin mattress and, because of the shelves on either side, you couldn't put a thicker mattress in the space. The mattress went under the shelves. We didn't want to give up those bedside shelves. Anyhow, as others did, we cut down the frame and put in a queen. It is soooooo much easier to make the bed and to move around it.
Had shelves in our unit also.........when we got a king...I took the shelves off.......swapped from side to and then mounted them upside over the windows.........which made a handy shelf with an edge all the way around to put stuff on that would not fall off.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #38
Zinnman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15824
Queen

We replaced our Monty bed with a queen bed from Costco. We liked it so much we bought the same new for home. I’m 6’ 3” and my wife is 5’ 10” and the queen is perfect. Allows plenty of room on the sides for making the darn thing daily.
Zinnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #39
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
king

a king for us it was one of the primary reasons we tarded our last unit. With 2 shih tzus that have to sleep parrallel to the long axis of the RV (or perpendicular to us) its imparitive.
tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote