Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
KevinLV
Established Member

M.O.C. #22185
No airflow to rear furnace vents

Hey All. I have a HC 375FL which is only a few months old. I was testing the furnace and heat pump today. With the furnace on, I have good heat and airflow to the front living area and kitchen floor vents. However, I have no airflow to the bathroom and bedroom floor vents. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin

KevinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Check the rear of the furnace and see if one of the flexible ducts is loose or has fallen off. Historically a weak point with Montanas.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
KevinLV
Established Member

M.O.C. #22185
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Check the rear of the furnace and see if one of the flexible ducts is loose or has fallen off. Historically a weak point with Montanas.
Thanks full time. Sorry for being a noob but do I remove the furnace panel on the outside of the RV to access the rear of the furnace?

Kevin
Old 09-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Kevin,

You will need to access it by removing the panel near the convenience center in your flow through storage space.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
KevinLV
Established Member

M.O.C. #22185
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Same here. I found a duct not connected to the heater box. Good quality aluminum tape will seal it and hold the duct in place.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
KevinLV
Established Member

M.O.C. #22185
Finally removed my access panel and found 5 ducts solidly connected to the furnace. I removed one of the affected ducts and found plenty of air output from the furnace. Still no air to the rear vents though. I did pull the vents and confirm the ducting is connected to the vent housing. At this point, I feel like there must be an obstruction in both ducts or the furnace just can't push that much air. I might try an cap off the shorter runs as a test.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
There have been numerous issues with a/c vents having crushed ducting. These issues have been diagnosed with a remote camera. Harbor freight has a cheapie camera for about $70.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #9
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
now I have the 374 hc and when I took off my back panel for access I only have 2 pipes. One to heat the compartment and one to heat upstairs. mine goes directly into the floor under furnace. there is duct running to kitchen and back of the trailer to washroom and bedroom.
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #10
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Kevin, what if you take a old canister vac or shop vac and put hose on so it blows air. Take each hose off and see if it is open to the duct. Also blow from one end of duct to the other. If you have five hoses on there you maybe trying to move more air than that little furnace can move.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #11
KevinLV
Established Member

M.O.C. #22185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmitfl View Post
Kevin, what if you take a old canister vac or shop vac and put hose on so it blows air. Take each hose off and see if it is open to the duct. Also blow from one end of duct to the other. If you have five hoses on there you maybe trying to move more air than that little furnace can move.
Thanks that's a good idea. I will rent something from Home Depot next weekend and give it a try.

I agree it just might be too much air for the little furnace. I had a portable indoor AC unit at one time. Tried putting an extension duct and it just couldn't push that much air.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
The first time we tried using our furnace (6 months after purchase) we only had air flow from 2 of the 5 registers. 3 of our 4 heater ducts (read: flimsy, paper thin dryer vent hoses) were found "severed" from the factory. In our unit the bath and bedroom share a duct, the 2 kitchen and 1 rear vent each have their own ducts, although I don't understand why they cant combine those. The latter three were the ones found severed by the dealer. They did a piss poor job of repair...I plan on installing some rigid duct work over the winter. It will require removing the coroplast underbelly.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:37 AM   #13
Jet334
Established Member

M.O.C. #20438
If it’s convenient enough I would bring it back to the dealer for warranty work.
Although it is fun to learn about our rigs why spend money when you don’t have to.
Jet334 is offline   Reply With Quote