Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #361
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
My bad Rich...theirs is a 3400 but the plan is nearly identical to our 2013 3402RL. Just a typoe'd mistake...thx

2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #362
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Blackwell View Post
My bad Rich...theirs is a 3400 but the plan is nearly identical to our 2013 3402RL. Just a typoe'd mistake...thx
I sort of figured that is what happened. We had the 06 3400 and now have the 2013 3402 and the floor plan is nearly identical in fact that is why we purchased the 3402 we liked that 3400 floor plan and the extra bathroom in the 3402 was just what we needed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #363
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
Same for us Rich...especially having that little desk area for my computer. Sorry they don't show having the 3402 in the 2017 lineup when checking Keystone's floor plans. Guess not enough sales to warrant keeping the plan. It's the ideal setup for us for sure!
One thing I experience here in the low desert...when outside temp goes 100 and more (which the Coachella valley does a lot), the remote controller function stops working due to some form of overheating trip on the trailer receiver. Keystone says there is no fix for the problem & Lippert confirms...have to go to the panel control in hot weather. Have you ever experienced this problem?
2013 3402RL
Old 04-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #364
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[QUOTE=jameswbarton;1061757]BTW I had to close off the area under the steps as I had such holes in the desk like cabinet between the front living and dining area it blew newspapers off the table and there was no easy way to seal off the massive holes for converter wiring and ceiling wiring on the other side so it was easier to insulate the bulkhead wall in the storage

Filling up all the holes that leak air into the RV is something was have
done in most of our Rv's. Our 06 3400 would leak air through the slide seals and would blow paper off the table in a moderate wind. This 13 3402 is tighter and we did not have as leaky places as you did.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #365
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Blackwell View Post
Same for us Rich...especially having that little desk area for my computer. Sorry they don't show having the 3402 in the 2017 lineup when checking Keystone's floor plans. Guess not enough sales to warrant keeping the plan. It's the ideal setup for us for sure!
One thing I experience here in the low desert...when outside temp goes 100 and more (which the Coachella valley does a lot), the remote controller function stops working due to some form of overheating trip on the trailer receiver. Keystone says there is no fix for the problem & Lippert confirms...have to go to the panel control in hot weather. Have you ever experienced this problem?
We have never used our remote as there were many reported problems with them. Our 06 3400 had the computer desk in the same place but it was a bit larger than the one in the 3402.The 3400 was a top seller for several years. I could not figure out why they made the 3400 and the 3402 as the only difference was the extra bath, I figured the 02 in the 3402 stood for the second bath.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #366
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yep Rich is correct the 3400RL was Monty's big seller for years untill they came out with the 3402RL and THAT turned into the #1 seller for them for a few years I owned the first year of that floorplan in 2012 and the only thing I did not like about it after living in it or a while was the separate "poo poo closet" that was too tight in there and the sink that you could not shave or wash your face in because of the cabinet/shelf was to low it drove me nuts so we traded it in but other than that it was a fine 5er but just like any floor plan they fall out of favor at some point
Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #367
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskyjimmy View Post
yep Rich is correct the 3400RL was Monty's big seller for years untill they came out with the 3402RL and THAT turned into the #1 seller for them for a few years I owned the first year of that floorplan in 2012 and the only thing I did not like about it after living in it or a while was the separate "poo poo closet" that was too tight in there and the sink that you could not shave or wash your face in because of the cabinet/shelf was to low it drove me nuts so we traded it in but other than that it was a fine 5er but just like any floor plan they fall out of favor at some point
According to Helen's tape measure the 06 3400 had the inside things the ladies like. Counter space., interior storage space and the 3402 was pretty much the same. The extra bathroom configuration was poorly designed as you point out but I learned to live with it. The plus factor was the ladies have like 150 "things" in the medicine cabinet and we guys have like 10 things. I had my own space. Both Helen and I are not big folks and that helps living in a RV. The floorplan we really liked and were going to purchase in 2006 was the 3670 but it was discontinued that year. You being a full timer and us being very close to that value things like storage space and layout. There is always a compromise.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #368
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
One major difference I noticed between my cousin's 2006 3400 and our 2013 3402 is the frame underneath. Ours has a larger and longer "I" beam in front of the axles. Also, the GVWR is a LOT more...his is well under the 15K, ours is 15800. Overall length is about 2 feet more...his has the telephone booth shower, ours has the full tub and shower. Their basement storage is smaller in vertical height and their hookup ports are a much different configuration.
2013 3402RL
Old 04-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #369
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Well, have still pulled the unit under a hundred miles since picking it up, and all seems fine. Only problem is now is that the two I've been dealing with have not returned ANY of my calls or emails for the past week. So, all this about extending the warranty must have just been BS as no one will call back.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #370
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Same here! My contact assigned to make me happy and expedite repairs no longer answers emails either. The Dealer also says they are no longer communicating with them on my issues. I am still waiting on cabinet doors that have been on order since February.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #371
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
Well, have still pulled the unit under a hundred miles since picking it up, and all seems fine. Only problem is now is that the two I've been dealing with have not returned ANY of my calls or emails for the past week. So, all this about extending the warranty must have just been BS as no one will call back.
It may not work like it did a couple of years ago but I would make sure my concerns were reported to Customer service and on record in my file. I would verify that by calling and asking Customer service what was on my record .They would ask for the last 8 or 9 digits of our VIN and read it off.

We have not had issues that required conversations with Keystone customer service for awhile so I have no idea what the service has become. It does not sound good.

Our interaction with Keystone Montana along with some others is at the fall rally were Keystone has a program called "15 minutes with a tech" where you list your "problems" the techs examine the issue and take whatever action they deem necessary. It most cases this results in a appointment at the service center or a approved repair facility in the area.

We had some Gel coat separation, the old long screw and wood repair that was confirmed and we were given a appointment with a local repair facility that corrected the issue and a couple of others in 1/2 day.

I know everyone can not get to the fall rally were the Techs and the managers who can see and approve the repair are there looking at the problem and can act on the spot. No pictures, No E mails , No phone calls, no dealers. It is a advantage we take since we are but 3 hours or so from the rally. The service from Keystone has always been excellent but it is apparent that is not always the case.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:38 AM   #372
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
During this ordeal, I've been PMd by more than a few of you that have reported that once the work is completed and the unit is back, that Keystone would not talk to you anymore. Also that Shelley, the upper management team member that I was dealing with would no longer respond. Just so you know, you were both correct. No return of emails or calls that I've made to her direct number or email have been answered. As two of you put it, "We've seen the other side of Shelley". The only thing I have gotten from them was from the floor manager after I sent her pics of the rear hitch damage stating I could take the unit to whatever dealer to have the hitch replaced. That is it. Now what is concerning is that upon much further inspection, the rear bumper on my unit now is NOT the one that it left with. Mine had no scrapes or anything on the inside as nothing had ever been put inside of it as I use the 5x5 tubes underneath to store sewer hoses in. When I pulled off the end caps, the one on it now is full of rust and has been used quite frequently in the past as there are the 4 lines scraped in the paint as if sewer hoses had been stored inside. Then when looking at the welds, it is apparent that the bumper has been replaced. No wonder we smelled fresh paint when the unit got here. My other concern is what was hit and how much other damage the unit has!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #373
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It never ends .At this point I would be looking for a good lawyer as you have plenty of documentation to support your position.

In response to this....... "During this ordeal, I've been PMd by more than a few of you that have reported that once the work is completed and the unit is back, that Keystone would not talk to you anymore. Also that Shelley, the upper management team member that I was dealing with would no longer respond. Just so you know, you were both correct. No return of emails or calls that I've made to her direct number or email have been answered"....... That has not been the case at all in our dealing with Keystone or their representatives in over 11 years, two Montana's and many problems ....

That treatment alone is enough to be looking at legal action.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #374
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I also have given up on Shelly and another Manager Ben Fisher. While I am still awaiting back ordered parts for months I get no communication for weeks and then My dealer gets a rather blunt email from an underling stating they will no put any more effort in fixing two items they had previously OK'd. They also went out of their way to send me another email in which they stated that my unit was useable even with the broken doors that are back ordered.
It is amazing to me that they care so little about resolving obvious manufacturing issues and are taking action to position themselves for any future lawsuit.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #375
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
Very sorry for all the grief you have had to go through. Sad Montana does not care about there customers any more than this.

I have a friend shopping for a new fifth wheel and would not recommend Montana. I would be interested in hearing some recommendations on other brands you guys feel still offer a good value and customer service.
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #376
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
My Dealer sells Jayco with a two year warranty. They also sell Keystone and Forest River. If you are interested in service they tell me Jayco is still great beating both Thor and Forest River, even though they have been bought by Thor last year. I am sorry I chose Montana instead of Grand Design.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #377
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
As you may remember, I just bought our unit in January. While I have had some minor issues and one major intermittent short in the brakes that the dealer seems incompetent at fixing, overall happy with the unit.

However, based on the treatment you've received, I will not every buy another Thor product. I also have been actively helping a friend decide on a new 5'er. Again, until I read your and other's sagas, I was promoting Keystone products. That has stopped and I've advised him to look elsewhere.

I know that there are many that say it happens with all brands. Well, I looked at the Grand Design forum and didn't find nearly the level of issues and the resolutions for problems seemed to be handled much better.

Keystone's lack of character is alarming. The fact that your unit was at the factory and instead of replacing your bumper with a brand new one, they grabbed a used one. Very sad.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #378
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
After reading all of this why would anyone buy a Keystone product? Are you nuts? Unless things change, and I will see it here, I will not buy another Keystone product! They have forgot 'who brung en to the dance'. This is the same thing GM Ford and Chrysler did a few years ago. They make some fine products now but only because a lot of people bought foreign cars and in the long run that was the best for them. You don't help a company through blind loyalty. Buy what is best for you it's 'yo money'.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #379
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswbarton View Post
I also have given up on Shelly and another Manager Ben Fisher. While I am still awaiting back ordered parts for months I get no communication for weeks and then My dealer gets a rather blunt email from an underling stating they will no put any more effort in fixing two items they had previously OK'd. They also went out of their way to send me another email in which they stated that my unit was useable even with the broken doors that are back ordered.
It is amazing to me that they care so little about resolving obvious manufacturing issues and are taking action to position themselves for any future lawsuit.
I am not sure I have met or worked with Shelly. We have met and worked with Ben Fisher. We had no problems he answered our E mails and phone calls and our problem was resolved,
Old 05-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #380
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I, as well, do not feel comfortable recomending the montana brand when asked. One person bought a vanleigh fifth wheel and only had two issues found by him that I fixed. Both lazy days, his sales site in florida and the factory have been super responsive to him. I will refrain from buying another montana and no longer view them as a source for the next purchase...whenever we buy.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote