Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #21
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
Yes, We have decided to keep what we have , I understand these are not an investment, However who in their right mind can justify losing that much just to upgrade three years. That blows my mind some people on here thinks that is okay.

ctwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #22
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I have a 03 Montana 3280 RL and was thinking of going a little newer but everything works in it and would I like a new rig sure but no bugs in mine so I will keep her till the wheels fall off LOL
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #23
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
Yes, you are going to take a hit one thing to consider at least where we live is if you trade in you don't pay taxes on trade in value. So if you sell out right you will have to consider that.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #24
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Much depends on what you actually paid for a new unit in the first place. Many new RVers may look at a $90,000 MSRP fiver and think they got a bargain when the dealer lets them have it for $79,000. Actually they should have been able to buy that $90,000 unit for closer to $63,000 to $65,000.

If you can start off with that first new one discounted at 25% to 30%, plus pay a little off in the first 2 or 3 years if financing I think you will find you are not as upside down as most.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #25
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfulton0513 View Post
I can only say from my experience but when we traded in which we just did two weeks ago, we took a pretty big loss to get into the 381TH that we wanted. It was a big shock to me also but this camper I really wanted so we decided to do the trade. Now with the new one we have decided to add some more money on top of the payment so that it will help with the principle and we won’t be in that situation next time.
My experience was different as I received more than my minimum I was willing to take for the new Montana. I am sure they made money on both ends. I received a reasonable discount on the new 5th wheel and generous trade on the 2003 Montana. Sight unseen, I was given a price by Tiara RV in Elkhart. They stood by the price when I came back to pick up the new coach. I am sure it is a function of demand for the trade market.

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #26
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
First and last time I will buy new and most likely never upgrade from our 2018 3121RL as we got exactly what we were missing. We put almost 1/2 down and have been paying it off faster as I don’t want all my $ to got to a bank. I meet some ppl who buy new every 2-3 years and trade their old one in and lose so much I just don’t get it, RV’s and Boats are fun but we bought this one and intended to keep it a long time and take care of it.

By the way out of curiosity how well do Montana’s sell, using Craigslist or eBay or some other form of selling? I have heard they usually hold value pretty well but I figure we have 7-10 years with this one, when we retire we can either keep it or get out of RV’ing but we will see in 7-8 what we will do.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #27
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
We had our 2003 for 15 years. I had contemplated selling outright. I had looked at NADA and some private sellers to gage what ours was worth. I had no intentions of taking the dealers trade, but was pleasantly surprised as what we were offered for our 15 year 5’er. In summary, I would say that my experience has been that Montana’s hold their value well.

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #28
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Consider that the markup on a new one is 40% or so, and you’re upside down going in. Drive it off the lot, and the dealer will give you wholesale used price for it when you get back later that same day. As someone pointed out above, it’s not an investment.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:29 AM   #29
Pat2002
Established Member

M.O.C. #20698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwebb View Post
Yes, We have decided to keep what we have , I understand these are not an investment, However who in their right mind can justify losing that much just to upgrade three years. That blows my mind some people on here thinks that is okay.
I agree with that!
Pat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #30
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
With all this talk about losing money buying a new 5er I have decided to keep my 03 till the wheels fall off. She's a good ol girl and i keep up with maintenance so we are good to go. May need to invest in disk brakes since i am going to keep her.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #31
Pat2002
Established Member

M.O.C. #20698
Quote:
I'm with you! My 2005 montana and 2002 Gmc look real nice still and even look better when I look at the sticker price of the new ones of either. I can make a lot of repairs and maintenance for the price of new ones. I can make a lot trips in my old paid off ones and keep from losing a lot money in trading off every three years.
Pat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #32
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Amen! Seems like price goes up and quality goes down year by year. Our 2006 Montana looks better all the time.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:40 AM   #33
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat2002 View Post
I'm with you! My 2005 montana and 2002 Gmc look real nice still and even look better when I look at the sticker price of the new ones of either. I can make a lot of repairs and maintenance for the price of new ones. I can make a lot trips in my old paid off ones and keep from losing a lot money in trading off every three years.
Trucks are not the same as 5th wheels. So much has changed in the newer trucks as far as electronics. The new trucks tow and handle so much better. Visit a dealer and drive a new truck and see how much better the truck is in every way. I know it takes some serious $$$ to get into a new rig but a new one should last as long as your 02. It's amazing how fast these things get old.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #34
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
Trucks are not the same as 5th wheels. So much has changed in the newer trucks as far as electronics. The new trucks tow and handle so much better. Visit a dealer and drive a new truck and see how much better the truck is in every way. I know it takes some serious $$$ to get into a new rig but a new one should last as long as your 02. It's amazing how fast these things get old.
You are only setting yourself up by going to look at new trucks or new rigs. You will either go home poorer or be more disappointed by what you already have.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #35
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
Not to mention all the safety additions, i have a real jake brake in mine, we went through the Rockies last year, I never had to put my foot on the brake, the engine computer took care of everything with the adaptive cruise control.

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:34 AM   #36
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
You are only setting yourself up by going to look at new trucks or new rigs. You will either go home poorer or be more disappointed by what you already have.
.I always get service at the dealer and look at new trucks all he time. WOW they are sure nice but my 15 is still good and when I bought it it had just what i wanted. I know that I will need a new truck at some point and by that time my truck may be in the $100,000 range. Scary right. Prices are out of this world. My first house was $30,000 and my truck was $60,000. I remember my folks bough a new car Fairlane 500 for $3,000. back in 1958. LOL My how things change .
Old 04-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #37
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
No idea why you think it is not OK. Not an investment but not going to take any with you either. Not going to be around forever either. Maybe makes a difference to those with big loans...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #38
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There are those financially positioned that the loss is of little consequence.
There are those who simply have to have the latest regardless the costs.
There are those who traded because they were not happy with what had seemed the perfect floorplan. And then may do it again when the replacement is not right either.
There are those who trade on impulse. And later wonder why. And then do it again.
There are those who are happy with their original purchase and see no reason to trade.
There are those not quite completely happy with what they have but resist the urge to trade.
And I am sure many other categories of owners.
Not my place to question why anyone does what they do in that regard. Ours is 10 years old. We have looked at new ones. Considered trading. But have seen no convincing reason for us to make the move even though we could afford to. To each their own.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote