Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Rainsmik
Established Member

M.O.C. #20862
Question New to cold weather

My Montana has the 4 Seasons option with heated ranks. We live in S tX where freezing temperatures are rare so I have no cold weather experience. We will be in our RV Christmas and New Year’s when temperatures are predicted to be below 30 deg. Anything special I should do to protect the trailer?

Rainsmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Welcome to the forum. Recommend you run your furnace during the evening vice your heat pump. The furnace keeps the storage area, tanks and pipes warmer than the heat pump which just warms the living spaces. If you have heated tanks you can flip them on also. You may want to get a heated hose if you are in an RV park or put water in your internal tank and run your water pump. Recommend keeping your black and grey tank valves closed until you are ready to dump and it is a little warmer. If you are only expecting it to drop below freezing for a few hours at night and not getting below the high 20s then you can pretty much get away with doing nothing special. If you have round the clock freezing temps then you may need some of the other steps.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #3
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Welcome to the forum. Recommend you run your furnace during the evening vice your heat pump. The furnace keeps the storage area, tanks and pipes warmer than the heat pump which just warms the living spaces. If you have heated tanks you can flip them on also. You may want to get a heated hose if you are in an RV park or put water in your internal tank and run your water pump. Recommend keeping your black and grey tank valves closed until you are ready to dump and it is a little warmer. If you are only expecting it to drop below freezing for a few hours at night and not getting below the high 20s then you can pretty much get away with doing nothing special. If you have round the clock freezing temps then you may need some of the other steps.
X 2 if you get a winter hose and winterize the water pipe to the freeze proof faucette, check to make sure the receptacles are working.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
I am from Kalifornia we left in November on our way to Bloomington. We got 4 inches of snow in Mississippi. First time in 10 years of rving we had snow. Difficult time closing the slide outs. Purchased 50 foot heated fresh water hose in Bloomington. have been leaving both gray tanks open and dump the black every 4 or five days. Run furnace from 4 to 7 am. So far not much different from weather we are more used to.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
kathdear
Established Member

M.O.C. #22747
Cold weather skirting

What would one use for skirting around rv. We stay in cold weather (Ontario till December) then head south.
kathdear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Google RV skirting and you'll see the gambit. Many different ways to approach the issue.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Your camper is a big heavy heat sink. It takes a long time to get it cold enough to do any damage. Temperatures in the mid 20s for a few hours even if you don’t run the furnace won’t hurt it. I’ve stayed in mine it temperatures in the teens where I couldn’t run the furnace with no problem. You jump up start all 3 stove burners and dive back in the bed until it gets warm enough to put the pot of coffee you had ready. Coffee tastes midy good when it gets done.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Get a couple of Lasko towers from Wal Mart. Two speeds, temp sensing on/off, remote control, swivels, easy to move where you need them....use the CG's electricity rather than your propane.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:12 AM   #9
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
Thank you for the info. I’m staying at Elkhart Fairgrounds 11-21 to 11-26 then heading over to Morryde to get independent suspension & disc brakes on my Montana. Just concerned about going thru mountain passes. Been pulling 5th wheel around for 20 years. Not when it’s snowing though. I’m from So. Cal. Things freezing up in rv have me concerned too. But I’ll keep furnace on for that part. We’ll be leaving Tom Johnson RV Park In Marion North Carolina Wednesday 11-14 & start heading to Elkhart.
Thank you for your input.
Greatly appreciative
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:56 AM   #10
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Congratulations on the IS and disk brake install. This time of year in Marion and here in the NC mountains is a transition month. The weather temperatures while you are NC will not be a problem. Mid 20’s at night wouldn’t be enough to freeze anything, unless you were not living in the FW. We stay at Tom Johnson’s several times a year since it is just down the road. Nice clean atmosphere.

Tags
cold weather, freezing, prevention