Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
A Shameless Plug for the Website

Everyone knows how helpful this site is, whether you are a newbie or an old pro. What we tend to forget is running it costs money. Since the holidays are approaching, why not get in the Christmas spirit early and make a site donation? There's even a handy little button at the top of the page for it.

Look at it from this prospective: If you subscribed to any of the various magazines out there, none of them would give the user specific information in the timely fashion this site does. Additionally, if you are like me, you've met new friends. So why not at least donate the cost for your favorite magazine subscription?

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
I wouldn't mind doing that. Is there somewhere on the site that shows the site's expenses? Say, how much is needed for this year like they do in fundraisers?
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I tried but the donation form does not have the Provinces for Canada listed.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Thanks for the reminder, Tom.
I used to donate monthly, but had to quit when the donations were going to a member instead of the forum.
It seems to be working well now, since it accepted my donation and sent it to an administrator.
Happy donating!!
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
brooksider, I donate via PayPal.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As most of us oldies know this is a privately owned site.It is run by a Montana owner that wishes to remain anonymous and that is OK with me. The site owner has never asked for donations or posted what the site cost to run. The forum itself is a "forumco forum and that cost money and it uses significant bandwidth and that cost money.

the forum is of great value to me and in our case we use the donate button at the top of the page and make a donation every year toward the support of the forum.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Thanks for the reminder!
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We, like Rich donate on an annual basis. For those of you who have attended any of the rallies, most if not all of the rallies donate half of the proceeds to the MOC forum as well, so you may be contributing and not even realize it. But even with all of that, I am sure any and all donations are appreciated and go to a good cause. The good cause is evidenced by all of the daggone "honey-do" mods that keep getting added to my list for the winter!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

As most of us oldies know this is a privately owned site.It is run by a Montana owner that wishes to remain anonymous and that is OK with me. The site owner has never asked for donations or posted what the site cost to run. The forum itself is a "forumco forum and that cost money and it uses significant bandwidth and that cost money.

the forum is of great value to me and in our case we use the donate button at the top of the page and make a donation every year toward the support of the forum.
So, are you saying you know the owner? I have always been curious about why anyone would be so secretive about owning a site.

Not a related site, but I belong to a fishing forum. The owners name is Monty....
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:44 AM   #10
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Thanks Tom. We just donated. It wasn't much as frankly we don't have much right now, but the wealth of info we've gained from you folks was worth more than what little we could afford. To put it bluntly, we are so broke right now, if it took a nickle to fly around the world, we'd have to walk.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Well stated Tom. Worth every bit of everyone's donations.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
[quote]quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839

the forum is of great value to me and in our case we use the donate button at the top of the page and make a donation every year toward the support of the forum.'

No I am not then owner and I did not insinuate that I was. The forum has been around far longer than I have been a member. It has never been a issue for most of us that the owner wishes to remain anonymous for the reasons Steve mentioned for example. It is free, it is a valuable tool that is good enough for me.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

the forum is of great value to me and in our case we use the donate button at the top of the page and make a donation every year toward the support of the forum.'

No I am not then owner and I did not insinuate that I was. The forum has been around far longer than I have been a member. It has never been a issue for most of us that the owner wishes to remain anonymous for the reasons Steve mentioned for example. It is free, it is a valuable tool that is good enough for me.
Did not insinuate you knew the owner? Yet you say it is a privately owned forum and owned by a Montana owner? That would in itself lead me to believe you knew the owner, or basically you just posted hearsay.

Perhaps I dance to the beat of a different drum, but I have a problem donating money when I don't know where it is going. I recall once I questioned whether Keystone might be the real owner; boy did everyone get their tighties in a wad. And believe me, I don't care who owns the forum, except when they expect money from me. Then, I think I have the right to know. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't know who owns the forum, and could really care less. I donate simply because I know that the forum has benefited me immensely and I feel that others deserve to receive like benefits. I also donate to charities but I have no interest in knowing exactly who the donations go to. My conscience is clear after I make the donations to charity. If the donations are misused then the guilt is on somebody else, not me. If my donation(s) to the MOC enables the value of the forum to be passed on to someone else, then I feel my donation has went to worthy cause. It does not concern me who gets the donation, but I do get satisfaction in the knowledge that I am contributing to a fantastic source of information and help that is unparalleled on the web. All of this and I have not even mentioned the social aspects of the forum and the great MOCers that we have been privileged to have met over the last few years. All I can say is that I have no doubt it is money well spent!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #16
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
I am not the owner of this forum. I do know who owns it. The owner is an individual. The owner owns a Montana and started this forum in 2002 to try to get owners to share information and friendship with each other. Keystone has no ownership and does not control this forum at all.

The donations are to help pay for the forum. They are voluntary. If you do not want to donate without knowing who owns it, then do not donate. It is voluntary only. If anyone can not live with that situation, you do not have to participate in this forum. It is your decision.

HomeOnTheRoad
Administrator
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
As do we. Regardless, we donate because we enjoy this forum.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #18
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Well, seems I stirred the pot a little. I really didn't mean to get the mods so fired up, I just expressed my opinion. I feel a little differently than some of you; I think if the owner of MOC was known, and I happened to meet them, I would congratulate them on their creation of the MOC.

I've spent several hours today researching, and was surprised by what I learned. I'm pretty sure I know who owns the forum, even tho it is operated through a proxy ownership service. I still can't understand the reason for all the secrecy, nor the tension caused by the mention of Keystone. Oh well, it's the way it is.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #19
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
Ouch. That got sour quickly. I don't think this is a like-it-or-go-away issue. I agree with Will in that I'd like to personally thank the forum owner one day for this forum. But I can't see where a decision not to donate should be an invitation to hit the bricks; this web site can't cost that much to keep up.
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keystone does support the forum. Those who attend the fall rally understand that they do in many ways. I see no evidence that it belongs to keystone nor have we ever heard at all the fall rallies that they did. I do understand your point of view Will and early one I sort of felt the same but then decided it just did not make any difference. Donating is a personal choice. No one will fault anyone for their choice..