Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
North Along the Eastern Coast

Planning our trip up the eastern coast and looking for good advice about CGs in close proximity to: Savanaah, GA, Myrtle Beach, SC, Cape Hatteras and the Outer Banks? Including Kitty Hawk. Planning on meeting my sister in Chesapeake VA Jun 15. Will be leaving Fl on 5-7 and have several weeks to get to VA.

I know many of you have done this and would really appreciate some help. We are Escapees, PA, Thousand Trails, Good Sams and Mili and also use COE Parks.....Probably a week at a time, although money is not to big a deal we don't want to spend a fortune either.....

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We're also interested in this info as we'll be taking the same route in late April. Thanks for posting the question.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
We are leaving Florida on 3/27 and have made rservations at Savannah South KOA in Richmond Hills, GA, Ocean Lakes Family Camground on Myrtle Beach, Cape Hatteras KOA in Rodanthe, NC and Holiday Travel Park on Virginia Beach before turning inland -- we are staying 3 days at each stop.

We will be home around 4/15 and will let you know how we make out --
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Please do Ray. We are looking at those places right now. We're arriving Savanah on 5/7 and going to do a week at each locale....Please keep the suggestions coming and there seems to be a lot to see around this area.....''
Thanks Phil
Old 02-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
Phil:

We have stayed at Savannah South KOA several times and like the park for a quick stop over -- It's right off I-95 on US 17

If you have the time, you may also want to stop in Williamsburg, VA -- we stayed at the KOA there last year.

Clean Park, but hilly and lots of trees to work around -

Our pull-thru site was OK, but would I would recommend sites more towards the rear of the park -

Also, if you have additional time - you might want to consider heading further north into CT or MA - there is a KOA in Mystic, CT where we have stayed and you have Normandy Farms in Foxboro, MA

rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Phil, we stayed for a month at River's End Campground on Tybee Island, GA (15 miles east of Savannah) in Feb 07 and loved it. Prices have gone up since then, however, as the campground was bought by the city (now about $850 per month). Haven't stayed at Skidway Island State Park, but lots of MOC folks have - they will be along soon to tell you about it. We stayed 2 weeks at Huntington Beach State Park in Murrell's Inlet, SC (just south of Myrtle Beach). They only have a few full hook-up sites, all sites are 30 amp, but the park is great. We so enjoyed our visits to Brookgreen Gardens and learning about the birds that populate the local area. Will PM you concerning military sites. If you venture to Williamsburg, VA, we visited stayed at the American Heritage RV Park on the maiden voyage with our 3400 and we fit just fine. One year we stayed at the Williamsburg KOA with our first Montana (3670) and found the sites close together and the price way too high. We used to live in Northern VA and spent lots of long weekends and spring breaks (Dave is a retired VA high school teacher) in the area and would gladly share any info. Also, if you go to Williamsburg, you really must visit the Jamestown Pie Company - they make fresh pies and ship all over; they also have THE BEST pizza. We took Steve and Vicki Reigle there and it was a huge hit. If you travel Route 17 north, the road is good and there are plenty of places to pull over to take a break. Scenery is nice as are the people. We've made that trek many times over the past few years as our kids live in Northern VA and we winter over in Lower Alabama (LA).
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 AM   #7
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Phil,
We too liked Tybee Is., the light house, eat bt the water and watch the sunset over the inlet at A-J's Dockside, walks to the beach to watch dolfins, trips into Savannah and city tour. The drive up US 17 is nice. Also liked Hunting Is. SP (by the beach) near Beaufort, a quaint town w/nice people and lots of good places to eat and historic carraige tours. Stayed at Ocean lakes in Myrtle Beach. Huge place! New Bern, NC (NCFishers of MOC) has a nice KOA across the river. Eat at Capt. Ratty's! Think we stayed at Camp Hatteras on the Outer Banks.
There was another similar thread about this recently w/ideas. When you hit MD (?) holler at us, if we haven't already left for New England and the NE Rally, end of May in NY! We're near Annapolis.
Edited: If you and Cathy got an earlier start, you could hit the fantastic Taste of Beaufort street festival, May 2. http://www.downtownbeaufort.com/a_ta...ort/index.html
Lynn and I stumbled into it a few years ago and it was wonderful!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Phil & Cathy,

Another nice place to stay in Myrtle Beach is Myrtle Beach State Park campgrounds just north of Murrell's Inlet. We were there a couple of weeks ago and it was really nice. If you want to take a great ferry ride to Okrakoke Island and then over to Hattaras Island, we can tell you how to do it. It's a beautiful ride. If you are heading up Hwy 17, we live one block off the highway. Stop by and say hi. If you decide to stay in New Bern for a bit, we can steer you to several good restaurants and you can tour our 300 year old historic city.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Don't miss Charleston after Savannah and Myrtle Beach. The County Park on is awesome but can't remember the name. Something like St James Island I think. A week there is not too long. Plan on at least a week in Savannah also and eat at Paula Dean's restaurant. Don't miss the St Boniface's(sp) cemetery where they filmed Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. We also loved staying on Tybee Island. Take a day trip and drive up to Hilton Head Island and rub elbows with the rich and famous. Leave Greg Norman's yacht alone though. That's mine.

There are some wonderful sculpture gardens on Hwy 17 just south of Myrtle Beach. I think it was a State Park but not sure about that. Ticket price was for two days and it took us both days to see it all.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:30 AM   #10
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Helen is thinking of Brookgreen Sculpture Gardens in Murrells Inlet, SC, I think. Been there, done that. Should be gorgeous at that time of year!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Phil,

Consider stopping at Kings Bay GA, Exit 1 or 2 on I-95 at the Sub Base. They have a very nice campground that you can access. Also talk to David, exnavydiver as I believe he has also stayed there. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by capn chris

Helen is thinking of Brookgreen Sculpture Gardens in Murrells Inlet, SC, I think. Been there, done that. Should be gorgeous at that time of year!!!
The movie was not filmed in Bonaventure Cemetery although I beleive there may have been a scene shot there. Bonaventure is just off US Route 80 on the road to Tybee. Take Bonaventure Road just before the bridge over the Wilmington River. If you take the right immediately before the bridge there is a nice place to eat there in Thunderbolt called Tubby's. It used to be called Tubby's Tankhouse and I can't remember if they dropped the last part of the name.

sorry Helen and Capn Chris, you guys were talking about apples and I was replying about oranges. I'll blame it on the bifocals (grin)

The best camping bang for the buck is Skidaway State Park
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:24 AM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You can tour the USS North Carolina, a WWII battleship in Wilmington, NC right on Hwy 17. It's a great tour and well worth the stop.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
So Far we Have a week a Jacksonville Navy, a week at Skidaway State Park, Savannah, a week at James Island City Park, Charleston, a week at Briarcliffe RV Resort, Myrtle Beach, a week at Forest Lake Thousand Trails in Salisbury Nc, a week at Cape Hatteras KOA then three weeks a Chesapeake Bay Thousand Trails. Then a week at Andrews AFB Fam Camp, then on to the 1000 trails in Hershey, PAfor three weeks . We plan on going to Black Bear Park near NYC then all the way to Maine. Am keeping a notebook of places to see and things to do. Still need advice..... Keep em coming!!!!! Thanks.....Phil
Old 03-27-2009, 04:04 AM   #15
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

So Far we Have a week a Jacksonville Navy
Phil, are you staying at NAS/Jacksonville or at Naval Station Mayport? For my money I would opt for Mayport.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Joe, looks like NAS, didn't know about Mayport until after reservations made.....That's my luck, always a day late and a $ short...
Old 03-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
take a look at Lunga Park, Quantico, and also Fort Meade, MD. They are supposed to both be very nice parks. My son is at Quantico.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Phil, You going to like James Island County Park in Charleston. Lots of history there. Try Bubba Gumps in town and their "She Crab" Soup. They are the only Bubba Gumps that sells it that I know of.
Keep us posted on the good spots as we intent on the same route next year.
Sorry we missed you in Tampa.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:04 AM   #19
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
James Island County Park in Charleston is a nice park. Make sure that you don't get a corner site, as they are close. The others are great.
You should checkout the forts and the tiurs downtown if you like history.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Old Fogie, What is a "tiurs", never heard of them.?