Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Gas shortage in the South

We are getting ready to travel from Colorado down to Alabama, but I have been hearing news of gas lines due to shortages of fuel in the Southern states. Are you folks seeing this shortage? Where is it the worst? Whatever info you all have would be appreciated. Thanks again. John

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have only heard of problems in the the Metro Atlanta area. Not sure if there is a problem anywhere else.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
No shortage in Texas that I'm aware of.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
You will find shortages in the north georgia area, metro nashville and Chattanooga stations also. Most of them are very spotty, but in the north georgia city where I am postmaster (ringgold), 7 out of 10 stations don't have any fuel in the ground. Diesel seems to be a little better.
Last week in Nashville, all stations finally ran out, and were out for two to three days before supplies started coming in. Then, as soon as they got a tanker, they would be empty in the ground within a couple of hours, due to the long lines to get fuel. I was up there on assignment for two weeks, and we had to hustle to make sure the mail fleet had fuel daily, to complete the deliveries.
As long as you plan ahead, try to hit mostly truck stops who have their own national supply chain, you should be alright. Word on the local news is that this situation should be relieved by end of week. Not as much supply concern, as it is bought as soon as it gets in the ground, and not enough trucks in a particular time frame to keep them supplied.

Good luck on your travels.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Here in south AL we have some stations out in small towns, most interstate stations no problem.
I'd just make sure to keep it full before I got here, maybe come south then east and stay on Interstates.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We are experiencing shortages here in North Georgia. Long lines form at stations as soon as a tanker arrives. Within a couple of hours the stations are out again. Diesel is more readily available than gasoline. The local Shell station had the pumps out front all covered with bags, but the rear truck islands had diesel with no waiting. Maybe I have reason to be glad I have a diesel after all. I will be going out to try to find gasoline for the car tomorrow as it is down below a half tank. Two weeks ago they said this would only last for five more days. Now we're hearing maybe two more weeks. Just be sure you're full when you roll into the southeast.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
99% of the shortages are gasoline and not diesel. Only time diesel problems occur is when the smaller dealers close the entire station due to no gasoline. Truck stops will not be shutting down gasoline or not.

This AM we will be leaving Goshen and heading for Florida. We will be traveling thru IN, KY, TN, GA and into FL and I am confident I will find all the diesel I need. If I had a Gasser I would surely be concerned.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Here in Chattanooga TN our local newscast yesterday said that the fleet company that serves us will start stepping up their deliveries today so the shortages should be over by the end of the week. Most stations around here have been out of gasoline on and off after deliveries for about a week now. Diesel is mostly available, but I have seen stations with the diesel nozzles covered up too.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:14 AM   #9
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
We live in the North Florida, South Georgia area. The only fuel shortage I have noted is at the Super Wal-Mart in Yulee, FL. For two weeks now the only gas they have is Regular (89). Other local stations here and in Jacksonville have ample supplies of all grades. Ditto with stations from Brunswick south to St. Marys and Kingsland. Getting Diesel has been no problem (3.86 at Wal-Mart and 3.99 and up elsewhere). Those prices have held steady for three weeks.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:25 AM   #10
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Thanks everyone, I think we go ahead and go South, on the Interstates. John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
No shortage here in Brevard County, Florida. Diesel $3.77.9 at the Sunoco on Malabar Road at I-95 in Palm Bay.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is in Atlanta. He said diesel is available on a spot basis but he was paying between 4.75 and 5.00/gal. No comment on regular gas price or availability. You might try this web site: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/gaspr...es/index.shtml

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Here in California,I just filled up at Chevron for 3.39 a gallon! That's Diesel!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
No outage in Oklahoma City or Tulsa areas in Oklahoma. (Are we in the south? southwest? I never really know. lol)
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote