Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
And the winner is Garmin for Father's Day

As I always do, I fretted over "the right GPS." I read and interesting article in GPS Magazine that compared comparable units from Garmin, Megellen, and Tom Tom. They tested actual routing scenarios that were long, medium, and shot range. The Garmin 680 won them all. The 660 is the same unit with 2 exceptions: the 660 doesn't have the European maps and does not connect to MSN.

Armed with this info, I went shopping. It was Sam's Club to the rescue at nearly $300 less for the Garmin 660 Nuvi than the first price we found and $200 less than Circuit City. Happy Father's Day from Dianna.

It mounts well on the dash, has a relatively large screen at 4.3", and is small enough to put in you pocket. With the touch screen format, it has no buttons, neat trim and compact. That sure made that shackle job more palatable.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
What was the final price? Does it allow you to find POIs without backing out of the guidance? I have a Magellan and the last 3 weeks was the first opportunity I have had to use it. These things are GREAT and a must for the RVer!! Mine came from a TV shopping channel and was an "old model" when the newer ones came out. I would like to load POIs (similar to Streets and Trips), be able to "reverse trip" like S & T, and I'd also like to be able to find a restaurant or Wal Mart while still in route. I also think the Nuvi's compactness and portability is a real plus - I didn't think so when I bought mine, but have now changed my mind after using it awhile.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think it was about $550. I bought some other items in the store, so don't remember the exact dollar. I have not yet been able to explore the total operational characteristics of it since I just got it today.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Congrats on your new navigation tool Stiles!
You'll soon wonder how you ever got along without it.
Our Nuvi is the best thing I've done to relieve stress during travel.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I love my Nuvi!

As a male side of the species, it lets me save face by STILL not having to stop and ask for directions.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congrats, Stiles! When in unfamiliar areas we don't leave home without the GPS. I set wherever our Montana is parked as "home" and then when we're done exploring for the day, I just hit the Find button twice and it plots the way home. I usually accompany that with something like "Mary, take us home." I use the GPS on towing trips even when I know the route. It's nice to see how far to the next turn and to our destination, etc. Enjoy!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have seen that Garmin model in action..It is a great unit..You will wonder how you ever got along without it. We use the Garman GPS-18 receiver only with the lap top because Helen and I are both weak of eye and like the large display. The "voice" has never failed us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, you'd appreciate the voice in this Garmin. Vicki will tell you when we were driving through Gerogia and South Carolina it was using a southern accent! I'm waiting until we get into Minnesota or Massachussetts to see what it does there.

The builtin in the truck has a very nice feminine voice with it. The Garmin is a nice voice, too, but sometimes when I changed my route on the fly, her "recalculating" seems to sound a bit annoyed.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A voice with an accent... what will they think of next.. Nice touch...
Old 06-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
LOL LOL ROTFLOL....................

Our garmin....same as Steve and vickie's really got to be annoying....her "recaluculating" actually was kind of like she really was getting annoyed with us. We switched to "Karen" who is from Austrailia and her accent is a bit more entertaining and acceptable - when she says "recalculating" she doesn't sound irriated.

LOL

Jo-Anna

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yep - Karen is my little Aussie Friend.

Last time I missed an exit and the DW starting yelling at me - I told her to just softly say..... "recalculating" . She glared at me and said "how about rethinking...rethinking why you are driving and I am not"
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OK, I just switched ours to Karen. We have two more days on the road so will try Karen tomorrow. If I don't like that one I'll try Emily (British English) the next day. I don't speak any of the other languages listed so only have about 4 or 5 choices here.

Last night when we were using her (we call her Mary, short for Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary), to get us to a Walmart, she wanted to duplicate our route in reverse for the trip home. I like to use varied routes. So when she told me to turn left I told her I'm not gonna do it, I'm gonna turn right so just recalculate and find us another way "home." Vicki gave me a long look and said, "you know, don't you, she's going to be very annoyed with you." This thing is taking on a personality all its own. It's almost like having two wives and I wouldn't wish that on anyone! Oops, I didn't really say that, did I?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Yes, we call ours "Miss B B" and she definitely has taken on a personality of her own - and yes we both talk to her a lot and also do the "I'm not going that way" routine and then we both say along with her "recalculating".

LOL

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

LOL LOL ROTFLOL....................

Our garmin....same as Steve and vickie's really got to be annoying....her "recaluculating" actually was kind of like she really was getting annoyed with us. We switched to "Karen" who is from Austrailia and her accent is a bit more entertaining and acceptable - when she says "recalculating" she doesn't sound irriated.

Jo-Anna
We found Karen's Australian accent annoying and have settled with Jill. She doesn't seem to mind "recalculating" all of the time.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The emergency voice in a aircraft is/was also female.."pull up..Pull up" garmin must feel that the guys do most of the driving and will do whatever a female voice tells them to do .
Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #16
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Yeah, right.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #17
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
The voice I listen to is....Dawn, she sits right next to me in the other front seat. lol

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:53 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You're a wise man, John. Maybe you could give lessons to Steve!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I guess which voice a person prefers is a personal matter! It was Jill who sounded annoyed although she's also the one who did the southern accent. Today we ran with Karen in place and found her more pleasant when recalculating. Ear of the beholder, I guess! I haven't tried the British one yet.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #20
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Karen has been my guide for a long time. I don't care much for the others. One thing though (and maybe others), Karen doesn't know abbreviations well...for example, she thinks DR is Doctor rather than drive...LOL
Otherwise, she is more pleasing to my ear and I love the accent.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote