Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
What tow vehicle do you have

I'm Jim [wife Kathy] . We just purchased an 06 2955 Montana. Now I need to upgrade my 02 1500 4WD Silverado. I did work for GM for nearly 40 years-so I have always owned GM vehicles. However, this time I plan to choose the unit that works the best. I would love to stay with gas instead of diesel if possible. We plan to use the trailer a lot [hopefully working our way to about 1 year of full timing. Anyway, I would love to hear from anyone who may be towing an RV like ours with a gas truck als what brand]. The in's and outs.
Things like fuel mileage and 4wd or not and what brand and 3/4 or 1 ton.

Thanks,
Jim in Folsom, CA

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Jim I tried to stick with Gas for a year after I purchased the Mountaineer. I finally gave in a couple of months ago and upgraded to a diesel. Trust me it is worth the extra cost to get a diesel. I used to pull with a 1-ton Chevrolet, automatic and gas powered pickup. I never had enough power and semi trucks would pass me on an incline. Now I have a 1-ton Dodge, Diesel and standard with more power than I need. I can now pass the trucks going up an incline. The difference while pulling is as big as night and day.
The main thing is to drive as many as possible. If the dealer has a problem with you taking a vehicle off the lot and pulling something with it then they don't want to sell their product. Take a loaded flatbed trailer with you to the test drive and hook it up to the vehicle. I did this with three different dealers and none of them had a problem with the test.
Good luck with which ever brand & fuel you choose.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I would not give up on the dually. I use mine as a daily driver and the inconvenience people talk about is highly over rated as far as I'm concerned. The extra stability and capability is well worth it and you end up with one great looking truck. Of course I prefer a Ford but any of the 3 will do a good job for you. Also 4X4 is a great addition. Ironically the only time I have ever been stuck with a 4X4 is during camping season on slick, mushy grass. I was able to get some traction and get moving but would have been more difficult without the 4X4.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
As stated this is a very personalized topic.
This link show the size of truck most people are pulling with.
This topic is another sensitive one but needs to be researched about weights.
Another discussion about the vehicles. I think this one has the best evaluation of current vehicles
There are a few members out here towing with Gas and they can give you their opinion.
Mine is if I was buying new (spending the big dollars again) I would go Diesel and a big MDT or HDT converted unit. Again just my opinion.
Best of luck, cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
If I were upgrading again and GM still put the 8.1 gasser in a 2500 or 3500, I would consider that. (merely on the merits of gas price) That not being available, I would go with the diesel, any of the 3. Also I would probably upgrade to a dually, just for the extra stability. Just my thoughts.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
Welcome to the club. Not sure which TV would be "best" but my preference is for a 1 ton drw diesel with the long bed and crew cab. The make is up to you. Good luck with whatever your choice may be.
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 AM   #7
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
To all of you have given me such useful information-THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am going to start my search ASAP. We will [of course]past some photos of the "whole" rig just as soon as that becomes a reality. I am in the middle of my home remodel prior to selling it in spring 08 [you are probably asking why a home remodel and then sell]. That story is just too long for this forum. Anyway our venture into the RV/go see do world is a few month away-but solidly on track. Take care [incidentally-we love this Montana site!]Jim-n-Kathy
Old 11-24-2007, 04:43 AM   #8
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Jim-N-Kathy:
I am pulling a 2955 with a 2500 GMC 6.0 gas. It works great and has plenty of power for that trailer. Things to consider are -- what will I trade for next?? trailer - bigger?? trade both off at the same time?? trading off TV first and keeping trailer?? This will have to be up to you. I have short box without slider. You just have to pay attention to how short you will be turning. You also have to pay attention to your height when going down our highways and biways. My old 5 ver wasn't this tall and didn't need 12' 8" for clearance. I like mine.... YOU DECIDE WHAT YOU LIKE... wELCOME TO MOC ,,,JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
What ever brand you chose go with a 1 ton. I know I am going to hear about saying go with a 1 Ton, but once you have one and tow with one you will wonder why you didn't get one before. I know I did, and I love the 1 ton! Good luck!!
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
To: Deadeye; [hope I am replying in the proper manner];
About your gas truck [6.0 GM]; Not that I am ignoring all the great diesel info. It is just that I am a bit leary about the diesel price, the fact that I can repair/diagnose anything mechanical on a gas rig,but on a diesel I probably should not raise the hood! Also a couple other things-since I am a technical dude-I am concerned about the new low sulfur fuel and how the electronic diesel softwar will handle it on the long term. And lastly I wonder why diesel fuel [being less refined] is more costly. I sound like a complainer, but no, just things to consider.
So, Deadeye, what year is your GM'er and long box/shortbox? And, automatic? And, 2WD or 4?
And about taking hills without semi;'s passing you up [a previous member related experience].
Kathy and I have waited a looooong time to get this RV and we are pretty sure [good health hanging around] we are going to keep it for a very loooooong time. I think the size is just right for us.
Thanks for your info.

Jim in Sunny Folsom, CA
Old 11-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quarrles

Welcome to the club. Not sure which TV would be "best" but my preference is for a 1 ton drw diesel with the long bed and crew cab. The make is up to you. Good luck with whatever your choice may be.
Ditto, I have the same rig.

As for brand: If you can get the GM employee price, that would do it for me.

As for 2wd/4wd: I'm on truck number 8...never had 4wd, never needed it. Plus you lose cargo capacity and towing capacity and mpg.

As for gas/diesel: If you are going to be doing serious towing, diesel is the only way to go.

One final suggestion...when deciding on a 3/4 or one ton...check the cargo capacity of the trucks. That's where the difference lies.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Jim & Kathy:

Look on my post and your will see what I have. I bought this one on an estate auction as it only had 20000 miles on it. Two owners had owned it prior to me and they were both older than I am. They are no longer with us anymore. I knew both of them so I knew what kind of treatment this truck had. It's a 4X4 automatic with the transmission lock on the shift lever. I have never had to use it pulling the 2955 Monty from Iowa to Montana down through Wyoming and back to Iowa. That was a couple of years ago. This past spring (2007), we pulled to Florida and no problem pulling hills there. The only larger hills there is in S.E. Tennessee. I just don't remember of a semi passing me only if he just wanted to go faster than me. I set the cruise on 65 MPH and let them go. You will catch them on the larger hills if they are loaded. Gas mileage is about 12 to 13 MPG pulling. Without the camper on , it runs 15 to 16 MPG. That isn't real bad. If I can't afford that, I guess I can stay home....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I am full timing with a 3400 Montana and I prefer my Chevy Duramax/Allison combo. It is a 2500, crew cab with a short bed. Pulls great and when I unhitch I have a great daily driver. Preference is yours as mine was, I do enjoy the extra torque of the diesel and Allison. Good luck and welcome to the best darned forum on the www.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #14
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We have an '07 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab 4X4 with 4.10s and the six speed auto and love it. 10,000 miles on the truck as of last Sunday, about 7,000 of that has been towing our '07 35 foot Monty.

Great truck decent mileage and oh so comfortable. I went with the 1 ton so I would be able to upgrade to a bigger 5er if I wanted to in the future.

We did an 8 state trip a month or so ago and pulled 10,000 foot passes like they wern't even there.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jim-n-Kathy,

Did you check the current poll re: this issue? It should give you a really good idea as to what is being driven.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #16
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Driving a 2006 Ford F-350 6.0 Superduty single rear wheel short bed pulling a 2005 3650RK. Love the truck,, Love the fiver,, Love the lifestyle

PS. these are all personal choices, not recommendations!
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #17
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Really, the brand is of the least importance. Figure out how much weight you will be towing and build your truck around that. Then decide whose name is going on your truck. They will all be more than happy to build one to your specifications. BTW I'm part of a Jim n Kathy too.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Ditto on what fire5er said.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Started fulltiming in March, 2003, with a 1999 Ford F350 V10 gas. Next was a 2003 Ford F350 6.0L diesel. Then a 2005 Ford F250 6.0L diesel. Current truck is a 2007 Dodge 6.7L diesel. I personally think either gas or diesel will do the job and the one that is best is the one that best meets your particular criteria. For us its the diesel. For you it may be the gasser. And I think any of the American brands will do the job for you, too. Again, whichever best fits your criteria.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote