Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
mtwildtrout

M.O.C. #11724
Rigid Blue Foam vs Skirting

Next summer I'm thinking about installing 2" Rigid Blue Foam to the bottom of of my trailer either above or below the underbelly sheathing to avoid having to skirt the trailer each fall. I move around each year, so re-skirting is required.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to avoid skirting by attaching additional 2" rigid insulation to the bottom of the trailer. Has anyone tried this & was it effective?

mtwildtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This ought to work great IF you can find a way to keep it attached bouncing down the road in a 65 mph wind.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Not sure which model you have, but on our rig, there is less than 1/2" of space between the coroplast and the lowest part of the gray and black tanks, if you were thinking of putting it above the coroplast. I'm not thinking you will get the most of the insulation adding it to the bottom of the rig, but you will be able to create a warmer space by doing the foam as a skirting around the rig, where you can safely place a couple electric heaters. There is quite a bit of floor area outside of the belly area, that is, the bottom of the slides and the area outside the frame that would be difficult to insulate from underneath, and only two inches of foam isn't a great deal of R value when you get down below freezing. Good luck.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
mtwildtrout

M.O.C. #11724
I have a 2014 Montana 3150rl 5th wheel.

I haven't removed the underbelly sheathing yet. I planned to do that this summer to check things out. If I have a limited amount of space then the rigid foam board idea will not work.

Thanks for your comments.
mtwildtrout is offline   Reply With Quote