Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Winterizing your Montana

Just a quick reminder to any owners that have a washer/dryer option on their unit. Remember to winterize the water supply lines to the washing machine even if you don't have one installed. After I got back from Arizona for Thanksgiving I got around to checking the washer supply lines. I had already winterized most of the water system. As suspected they were full of water and not antifreeze. I assume that the dealership purged them out during one of the units many visits. I also ran antifreeze through the black tank flush system and the fresh water tank fill system.
Closed everything else up and shut off the 12 v electrical system, unplugged the AC and consider it ready for what ever Mother Nature throws at it. Oh yeah I also called Dish Network and shut off the two receivers until next spring.

Tom Marty

Old 11-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Outside shower?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you do have a washer, be sure to at least start a cycle so the pink stuff gets into the pump and pump housing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I run my washer on cold until I see pink in the tub, then drain it. Then repeat on hot. That gets pink stuff in all the lines plus the drain.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Bill I had already done the outside shower although I never got any thing from the hot water side. Not sure how they have it pumbed as I could turn it and no fluid or action from the pump.

Our unit does not have a washer although it is plumbed for it. I was trying to remind others without the W and D to remembering winterize the extra two water lines and the drain line.

Thanks.

Tom Marty
Old 11-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Periodic reminders of all the little details are good. Easy to forget something even doing it year after year. More than once I have had to go back a few days later and do something I forgot.

I do get pink stuff thru the hot water side of the outside shower.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I have reliable power, so I put two trouble lights each with a 60 watt bulb in the tub, don't use pink stuff.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:40 AM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
We in CA. Have our problem, but this isn't one for most of us.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:39 AM   #9
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
TLightning,

Two 60 watt bulbs will use more electricity than you might be aware of. That's 120 watts, 24 hours a day, 30 days a month. If your electricity is 15 cents/kwh; that comes to: .12kw x 24hours x 30days x $.15 = $12.96/month. If you have the bulbs on a thermostat so they come on and go off as needed, it could be much less. At ~ $3.50/ gal, RV antifreeze would be less expensive, but it is a little more of a hassle than the light bulbs.

How do you winterizing the rest of your 5er? Blow out with air, antifreeze, electric heater, run propane furnace, or ......?

Sometimes those hidden electric costs sneak up on us when we have things turned on for extended periods of time. I know we spend "plenty" keeping the Christmas lights lit. But that does make DW happy, and you know what they say about that!
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:45 AM   #10
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
[quote]Originally posted by Dam Worker

Just a quick reminder to any owners that have a washer/dryer option on their unit. Remember to winterize the water supply lines to the washing machine even if you don't have one installed.

Thanks for the reminder. I don't have a washer/dryer but the RV is plumbed for it. Winterizing tomorrow and would have forgotten all about those lines.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:35 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Starmaster

TLightning,

Two 60 watt bulbs will use more electricity than you might be aware of. That's 120 watts, 24 hours a day, 30 days a month. If your electricity is 15 cents/kwh; that comes to: .12kw x 24hours x 30days x $.15 = $12.96/month. If you have the bulbs on a thermostat so they come on and go off as needed, it could be much less. At ~ $3.50/ gal, RV antifreeze would be less expensive, but it is a little more of a hassle than the light bulbs.

How do you winterizing the rest of your 5er? Blow out with air, antifreeze, electric heater, run propane furnace, or ......?

Sometimes those hidden electric costs sneak up on us when we have things turned on for extended periods of time. I know we spend "plenty" keeping the Christmas lights lit. But that does make DW happy, and you know what they say about that!
I put two light bulbs where ever I need protection against freezing. They are only on when freezing temps are forecast. I appreciate your concern over the costs, but power comes free with my parking space.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #12
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Well, one more thing on winterizing! You said run antifreeze thru the fresh water fill for the fresh water tank. Darn, have never done that. Owned a 2011 3400 for five years with fresh water fill valve and never did that. Never a problem with low around 5 one winter. Yes, used the valve to fill fresh tank several times thru the years. Now you have me worried about the new camper! Everyone do this? My winterization check list is getting long.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have never run pink into the fresh water tank through the fresh water fill, I just remove the fresh water drain cap and leave the cap off during the winter. Around ten years and three rigs and sub zero temps and have never had a problem, maybe just luck?
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:03 AM   #14
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Tom,

RE: Free electricity at your storage site

That's a good deal! Free is hard to beat

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Starmaster

Tom,

RE: Free electricity at your storage site

That's a good deal! Free is hard to beat

Dave
True. We don't abuse it. As I said earlier, I only turn the lights on when the forecast is below freezing...then turn them off when the temps go back up. Don't want to ruin a good thing!
Old 11-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #16
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

Bill I had already done the outside shower although I never got any thing from the hot water side. Not sure how they have it pumbed as I could turn it and no fluid or action from the pump.

Our unit does not have a washer although it is plumbed for it. I was trying to remind others without the W and D to remembering winterize the extra two water lines and the drain line.

Thanks.

Tom Marty

Thanks. The unit's never had a washer and it didn't dawn on me to winterize the washer lines.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #17
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Bingo I have not had the panel off to check out how Keystone plumbed the inlet lines. My worry is that with the extra valve in this line (tank fill) or city water bypassing the tank I might have trapped water in the lines. Obviously on all my other units I had the gravity fill for the freshwater tank so there was no issues.
It is interesting that when dry camping I can use the winterizing inlet and with the units water pump I can pump out of a drum, bucket etc. and then hook up my blue curly hose to the outside faucet which I then hook up to the regular water inlet line and select fill tank. Not super handy but very doable. I had read about this some where and now understand how it works. #128512;#128526;#128077;

Tom Marty
Old 01-03-2018, 05:41 AM   #18
mellabella
Established Member

M.O.C. #16037
... I knew I’d forget something. Oh well, see what happens when I hook water up.
mellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #19
JasonViau

M.O.C. #20939
Thank you so much for the info. I thought I was done with the water system but totally forgot the black tank Flush and holding tank supply line..

This is going to be the first time winterizing my 2017 3810MS Legacy. I'm a little concerned with the electrical system though since the entire thing is controlled by a computer. I turned off the battery disconnect and an alarm started sounding out of the self leveling control box area above the battery. Not sure if this is normal or of it holds a residual charge or what. I can not find anything in the owners Manuel regarding turning off, powering down the electrical components. Any guidance would be appreciated. Also, I was going to put a trickle charger on the battery for 12v 2amp and was thinking I could walk away. Should I completely remove the battery or leave a trickle on it?
JasonViau is offline   Reply With Quote