Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
Rigid Foam Uses

I am wintering for the first time in our High Country, and while enjoying the experience I am surprised the rv cools off so quickly. A couple of questions that have probably been addressed but I haven't found them so I would love to hear from those that have been there and done that. For good or bad. Is there a down side to using spray foam around all the holes cut into the floor and wall for plumbing? What are the thoughts of using rigid foam on the sides and tops and bottoms of the slides? Is they were pushed up tight against the seals they could even help with the air infiltration from that source. And it would only be practical if staying put for an extended period of time, but the pieces could be labeled and used again next year. Thanks in advance for those willing to share their experiences.

Mtnquail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Where you at? What's your expected temperatures?

If you decide to use a spray foam, I'd suggest you use one that will cure flexible not rigid. Also, I'd prioritize skirting your fiver. After skirting, I've not found the need to further insulate the slides' tops and sides. My seals haven't been a problem, fortunately.

A friend of mine who had leaky seals retracted his slides a little, put widow seal foam between the slides' trim and extended the slides back out - said it did the trick.

Good luck.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our problem is heat in the summer first. We've used rigid foam to insulate the back of all our cabinets and to a certain extent the basement. Helps with the cold also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I have done that on my unit as well as around the electrical and it has taken care of our mice problem. Their was a large opening behind the fireplace and I placed screen on the return vents on the steps.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think rigid foam on the top and bottom of the slides is a great idea. Cut the pieces and lay them on top and put something heavy on them to keep th in place. Put some under the slides but you will need to find a way to keep them in place. I would use 2 inch for this. You can get corrugated plastic to put in the windows you don’t use. It comes in clear to let light in.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I did rigid foam on the underside of the bedroom floor in the basement & other places to help keep the heat in and the cold out I spray foamed all the holes in the floor from the plumbing and electrical made a big diff in the winter time.

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 LB 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:31 AM   #7
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
Always keep in mind the plumbing down in the water center and the main storage compartment. Frozen lines in winter are a major fix. Also the waster pump.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'm currently working on the Monte for insulation. I've already put 2" rigid pink foam in the ceiling in the basement under the bedroom and currently putting more over the empty area between the basement and the steps going up to the bedroom. I also have the spray foam ready to hit all the holes from the basement and belly area where the pipes and wires come up into the unit. I also wedged 1 1/2" rigid foam in the beam opening behind the basement wall. I did leave the vent opening clear so the air would flow into the basement for heat in the cold weather. I keep a clip-on light in the basement with a regular 60 watt bulb in it incase the basement gets to cold also. All I have to do is plug it in and you'd be surprised how much heat that single bulb gives off.

Mntquail, if you are permanent for the winter I would definitely use some of the 2" rigid foam to put over and under your slides. I would think if you cut the panel just a little bit larger than the actual depth of the slide's roof and belly you should be able to just wedge them in but make sure if you have to bring in those slides those foam pieces are removed. Hate to see what would happen if the slides were brought in with them in. I would also cut rigid foam to the distance between the ground and your unit bottom and slides and wedge it into place also.

I went into the open area behind the basement wall where all the wires an pipes are and cut the duct from the furnace to the heat vent to the stool area on our unit and put a PVC "Y" in the middle of it and added another duct to it and routed it to the back of the convenient center where all the water pipe plumbing is to give it a little extra heat also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
Hi Rondo, you have done what I was thinking was necessary. We have adequate heat sources but the electric heat is spendy as is the furnace to run. We have a catalytic heater but that produces a lot of moisture on the interior if operated thru the night. I am afraid if I utilize the catalytic consistently I might create a mold issue. I do vent and air the rv as weather allows. So I was thinking of ways to cut back on heating. You have provided lots of good ideas and as we are permanent thru March I think I will put those ideas to use. Thanks so much for sharing your work and thoughts. Darrel
Mtnquail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Darrel-- You might also think about putting a small electric heater that is thermostatically controlled under you unit if you use the rigid foam around the bottom of your unit and the ground. Keep it away from anything that might catch fire but this would also give you some extra heat in the belly area to keep the water pipes from freezing. You don't say where you are but I'm assuming it is someplace in California that gets cold. There have been some other good suggestions from others that have replied and combining all responses will keep you warm.
Always keep your furnace at a low temp because that will also help to keep the pipes from freezing too. We keep a couple ceramic heaters going if it gets really cold but the fireplace we have in our Monte takes the chill off in the morning and the evening until we go to bed. We don't leave it going all night.
Any propane heater will add humidity to your unit will definitely build up moisture and a good way to start mold in the interior. Always use the exhaust fans when showering and cooking to draw moisture out also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Listen to Rondo. He’s been there done that.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote