Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Are the heated water hoses worth it?

On our way back from Northern New Mexico. Spent 8 glorious days in Chama. Sky Mountain RV is the best place to stay IMHO. Got snowed on one day, got down in the 20's several nights. Thanks to advice on this forum disconnected fresh water supply overnight and just used water jugs for the toilet until it warmed up (which it did every day). Don't mean to sound lazy, but I noticed some SOB's in the park had heated water hoses and did not disconnect. Wondering if they are worth the $$$ and which model/brand to buy as there are several. TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Bought a Camco heated hose for our 5th wheel. Where we stay in the winter....it gets down to the teens and some snow. Never had a water problem.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
If you only camp a few days a year in cold weather (20 and lower) not sure it is worth buying the hoses. If you camp in moderately cold the wraps you use on pipes will probably do the job. Instead of using jugs you can always use the water in your internal tank.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have a Prit hose and it's served us well for 5 years. Some years we use it a lot others not so much, but having it when we need it is worth the expense.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Spent one winter in Colorado Springs. Absolutely was necessary.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We have been going to AZ for several years and have run into some temps that have dropped below freezing. I carry three things with us when heading South-- a 10-15 ft heat tape, some foam pipe insulation, and some duct tape. If we know it will be a few days and the temps will be down below freezing, I wrap the heat tape around the city water hose, take the foam insulation and put that around the heat tape and hose and duct tape it on. This holds us over the nights and as some have said the temps normally warm up during the day. If it will be dropping below freezing for just over night, I just put some water in the fresh water tank, disconnect the city hookup and run off the fresh water tank or use the gallon jug procedure mentioned above. If I was setting up in a cold area for the winter I more than likely would purchase a heated hose but actually they are the same as what I do with the heat tape and insulation so not actual need for it.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Bought a Pirit hose four years ago when we were north of Kansas City until early December, and experienced temps as low as 9 degrees and many in the low teens, and never had the hose freeze once. I would recommend one if you are going to regularly be in very cold weather. One suggestion, if the hose electrical connection is plugged into a GFI outlet, along with an extension cord to connect to the hose plug, be sure to keep that extension cord to hose plug out of the rain, because the GFI breaker will trip and your heated hose will stop working.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote