Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
How cold does it have to be to worry about water pipes freezing?

We have a 2007 3400RL that we lived in for almost 18 months after purchase in July of 2016. It does occasionally get below freezing in San Antonio (where we live) but we never had any problems during our winter. We are heading to Chama, NM the first week of October for at least a week. I know the weather there can get cold that time of year-average low is 28-30 at night, but it warms up to the low to mid 60's every day. I do not have any way (currently) to heat my water line to the rig. How cold does it need to get before I need to worry about anything freezing and bursting?

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I think you will be fine. It is hard to answer the question because there are other factors in play. How cold will it be? How long will the sub freezing temps last? Is you line protected at all?

In any case, I would not worry about Chama in October. We live at a higher elevation and I'm not worried. If you just wrap any type of insulation (foam pipe insulation at HD or Lowes is inexpensive) around the fresh water hose, it will be ok. The pipes in your trailer should be ok until there is a real hard freeze. We have camped at 10k+ for a couple days when the temps got into the 20's and did not have any problems with plumbing; and that unit was not four season prepped (did not have hook ups; a fresh water line would need a little protection).

If it gets real cold, use the trick we used in Alaska: Leave just a trickle of water running and your fresh water hose should not freeze. Of course, don't fill up your holding tank.

If you are really worried, you could get one of these; but I would save my money.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22900-T...ing+water+hose

PS: I just spent a week in San Marcos flying relief missions for the hurricane; it was so hot and humid I thought I was going to die! I was dreaming of snow and could not wait to get back to the Rockies!
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
At 28 to 30 degrees you will never haft to worry. I stayed in them when it was down in the teens, no problem for a night when it gets warm during the day. I been in them when water froze in the sink at night without hurting a thing except me when I had to get up and warm up the camper. When we are on Union Pass in Wyoming at 9200 feet the nights will always be that cold. Don't worry.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you have any reason to worry, just unhook the water at night and use your pump and fresh tank.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
below freezing for 2 to 3 consecutive days with no warm up.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Several years ago, we were north of Kansas City until early December, and experienced temps down to 9 degrees over night and a bunch of low teens. We used our propane heater which kept the internal plumbing from freezing, had a Pirit hose outside, and also have a small electric heater which we keep aimed at the convenience center from the pass through storage compartment, and had nothing freeze. Yes, we went through a lot of propane, using a 7 gallon tank in two days, but that beats having damage to the plumbing.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If you have any reason to worry, just unhook the water at night and use your pump and fresh tank.
Good advice disconnect the hose and drain!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Spent 4 days/nights in Odessa, TX during ice storm December 2014, January 2015 and the in-ground RV park water lines froze and our fresh water line from fresh tank also frozen. With the use of a Little Buddy Heater was able to unthaw on 4th day with no burst pipes. We did have our furnace and electric space heater running.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #9
granet
Established Member

M.O.C. #10611
Send a message via AIM to granet
Our trailer has the so called arctic package- which is about as good as considering chicago is the arctic but for all those who worried about just below freezing -don't- these units will run quite well up to about 0. You should be running your water pump and have disconnected your outside water by then.I suggest about 34 degrees fill up your fresh water tank and disconnect the outside hose. Dump all your waste tanks and close them up -your flex sewer hose will freeze faster than anything else!
We are expecting SNOW yes snow by the weekend but we still have not finished with our winter preps yet and won,t be till the end of the month- no worries just for a few days.
Regards,
Granet
2008-3400rl
Foothills of the Rockies
Okotoks,Alberta,Canada
P.S.-The American Legion is collecting funds for Houston ,Florida relief -please give if you can!
granet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #10
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
One tip to remember is don't over use space heaters to the point your gas furnace doesn't run. The furnace is what keeps the belly and plumbing warm so it needs to run occasionally.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote