Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Can't Believe this Happened.........

As many of you know, we purchased a 2012 3750FL. Our truck order was delayed, so the dealership has been holding the trailer for us. Finally got the truck broke in, so after corresponding with the dealer several times, called yesterday to confirm picking up the trailer today finally.

Drove the five hours to the dealer, with all our stuff in the truck in order to spend our first night in our first Montana. Walk into the office and I'm told they have been trying all morning to get a hold of us. "We don't have your trailer - it's been stolen". I thought maybe it was just a really bad salesperson joke. I said you're kidding. Nope. Our brand new trailer stolen off their lot. Had to wait for Burlington's finest to show up and fill out all the paperwork for thet stolen vehicle. Now I can only imagine the nightmare of paperwork and phone calls to clean this mess up, not to mention the delay to get a new trailer ordered.

Just wanted to cry and vent...

Greg and Kris - once again hopeful to be Montana owner's

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Who owned the trailer at the time of the theft... you or the dealer?
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patbarton

Who owned the trailer at the time of the theft... you or the dealer?
Well, we technically purchased it, but never had taken delivery. At this point they are saying they will take care of everything... Hopefully they follow through on that.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
I am so sorry to here that. It must have been a huge blow when you realized they weren't kidding.
I'll pray that the dealer does handle everything for you and it goes smoothly.
I personally believe their insurance should cover it, it was on their lot. No differant than if you took it in for repairs and it was stolen. Anyways hope everything works out.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Even with a good cup of coffee, that is no way to start or end a day! Sure hope you get the replacement soon.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I’m so sorry to hear of the misfortune. I certainly hope that your dealer takes care of you and at the least, “above and beyond” the normal. I can’t imagine how someone could think that they could get away with something like that. Where would they hide? Was it stolen just the night before or in the past few days? I would be asking a lot of questions which I’m sure you have.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
Wow, what nerve. How does someone steal a 5th wheel? I wonder how many are stolen each year? I hope it works out real soom for you.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:23 AM   #8
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
People will steal anything. It's just a matter of wrong place at the wrong time.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Actually more than you would think. Real problem in rural areas, where they disappear into the woods to become hunting lodges. Glad the dealer said he will take care of everything, not all would, if title issuance complete.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
WOW!!! You must be absolutely beside yourself. I know you can get another one but the shock and disappointment has to be huge. We hope things work out for you and you are camping in your new, new unit very soon.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Actually more than you would think. Real problem in rural areas, where they disappear into the woods to become hunting lodges. Glad the dealer said he will take care of everything, not all would, if title issuance complete.
Around here they turn into meth labs. So sorry to hear about this. I know you've been looking forward to this for a long time. Tell the dealer you want G614's on the new one at his expense.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Same thing happened to a friend in San Antonio. There new Montana was stolen off the dealers lot just before they were scheduled to pick it up. Actually worked out well for them--they got the next years model at the price of last years. The dealer stood up and did the RIGHT thing. Also the dealer beefed up their security! By the way, that dealer went belly up about 3 years later--because he was 80% boats and only 20% RV's--both industries were hit hard in 2007+ stretch of years. So, keep a positive attitude and work for the best outcome.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sorry to hear about that, you really must have been so disappointed.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
So sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hopefully they can get a replacement asap. Perhaps a chance to order few extras? We wish for you good luck from here, keep us posted.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Sorry to hear about this. If you hadn't taken delivery and signed the final papers then you didn't own it and the process should not even involve you other than getting another rig as stated previously. Same price and newer model. Good Luck and be patient..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
I am so sorry to hear what happened to you. We purchased ours through the same dealer and I hope they follow through and get you a replacement as soon as possible. They followed through immediately on a couple of things that were ordered and not on the 5th wheel when delivered to us and I had a check from them the next day so we could have our local dealer install what was missing. So I am sure they will take care of you. What a disappointment!
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yipe..Think I will post a guard on ours.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Okay folks, there is a legal term for this and this is the dealer's responsibility whether they like it or not.

When someone has possession of another person's property they have a responsibility to return it in the same condition, absent normal wear and tear. In the case of this new trailer, the dealer had possession of the trailer and whether papers had signed it over or not, the trailer was stolen while in their care. This makes it the dealer's liability because they were in possession at the time and they had a responsibility to keep it safe and their insurance will probably take care of the loss.

I've certainly heard enough stories of someone driving right off the lot after purchasing and taking possession of a new vehicle or trailer, then immediately getting involved in a mishap or accident. In this case, the liability has returned to the owner and are now responsible for their own loss.

During these times are when having the proper insurance is so important, whether it's the owner or the party holding the owner's property. There are so many other what-ifs, but in this case, it seems pretty cut and dry. I am guessing if the dealer is credible, then they will cover it through their insurance and incur the costs of replacement. If they go beyond that, then it's a dealer I would return to since they've provided more than is deserved (newer model, same price, etc).

I'm no lawyer, but I believe I understand this to be the case and is why I'm providing this for free. If this doesn't work out this way, you're gonna need a lawyer to recover these damages which now adds the cost of litigation to their responsibility, but I'm guessing this won't happen in this case.

Hang in there, seahunter. I think the only loss will be time, for waiting for the replacement rig. I'm sorry for the loss, but hope you'll get your moment as new owners of a brand new Montana soon. I can't imagine the feelings of disappointment upon hearing the news after that long drive. Then the long drive back home without the trailer. Bummer.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Oh, man! What a disappointment for you. Your "newer" Montana will be even better.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thank you all for the kind words of support.

Someone asked about the ownership. Yes, it's already in our name, have the plates and registration in hand, and already made two payments on it - that's what really hurts. We just had not been able to pick it up until now. Now we are hoping they will make the payments until we get the new unit since we don't have a trailer to use. Also we are wondering about other expenses like our storage which we can't use but had already contracted for. We are still in disbelief but keep thinking of so many questions about how this is all going to be rectified.

Thanks again for the support.

Greg and Kris