Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
I'm a Believer in the Tri Pod

For the last few months I've been alone in the Monty and wasnt really concerned about trailer movement. Well, now that my bride is back with me movement was noticable. Now, shamefully I will tell you that both of us are a WEE bit heavier than the average bear and maybe thats why we noticed the movement. So Saturday we went to CW and picked up the HD Tri Pod (on sale) to see if that would help.
I have read different threads about the tri pod and found it to be more of a personal preference addition. Some say its not worth the extra weight and so on.

Well, I'm here to say that IT WORKS FOR US ! I can dance in my skivies while in the bedroom and she cant feel "as much" movement.

I highly recommend it if your going to Long Timing it.

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Hey Blue, I have used it on several 5ers and it has helped our non-movement as well.

Paul
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hey Blue!! We have the tripod, but haven't tried it yet on the new fifth airborne pin box. Guess I know how to test it now - dance in my skivies!!
[IMAGE]http://www.emotihost.com/glass/19.gif[/IMAGE]
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Glad you got mama back home and she is doing well.

Hey Blue we need pictures of you "dancing in your skivies."

We had a tri-pod from the start and it definitely helps. You can really tell if you don't use it. But our little "Westies" walking around the LvRm/Kitchen can be felt in the bedroom.

I just installed JT Stabilizers and Roto-Choks and they really make a difference.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:20 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We had a TRIpod but switched over to a BIpod. I felt it was easier to install and considerably lighter. Either one does a great job on stability and a couple well placed screw type jacks and the deluxe wheel chocks finish off the stabilizing. The old wiggle-wobble has nearly disappeared.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 AM   #6
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I bought one and used it for one season, and haven't used it since. It's been sitting in my garage ever since.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:30 AM   #7
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Hey Glenn, I was showing my wife the pictures you posted about stabilization, i have the wheel chocks also but not the rear jack stands. There is another 5th wheel here in the park with the BiPod. i wasnt real sure about it.

As far as pictures go, Let me see what I can do it.
Is there a color preference?
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:39 AM   #8
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Glad to hear you like it Blue. We have one and really notice it when we overnight some where and don't use it. We understand we are not going to get rid of 100% of the movement but felt the tri pod got rid of a fair share of the movement.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:13 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I had one but sold it. Too many times we were parked where the front end was too high for the bipod/tripod to reach from the ground up to the pin. Tried using several 2X6's under the legs but this defeats the stability factor. What do most of you do when you encounter this type of situation? Makes me think that if complete stability is what you want, maybe the JT Stabilizers are what should be installed. Much costlier than a bipod/tripod, though.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 AM   #10
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
ORV
I agree. The JT stabilizers the way to go. with them Blue could dance all night, and his DW would be hard pressed to feel the motion. was the best money I ever spent. They set up fast and cut 98% of the movement.

keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Ken then you seen no need for your tripod? I purchased a set and I have the front ones on and plan on doing the back tonight. I have read where some people are still using their tripods with the jt's. This is somehthing I really do not want to do since I purchased the jt's to lose the tripod.

Bob
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #12
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Hey Blue!! We have the tripod, but haven't tried it yet on the new fifth airborne pin box. Guess I know how to test it now - dance in my skivies!!
[IMAGE]http://www.emotihost.com/glass/19.gif[/IMAGE]
Works the same on the 5th Airborne pin box as it does on the standard pin box. There is no way you can hand tighten it enough to compress the shock.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bluegill, we notice a difference with the kingpin stabilizer, too.

You may notice you still have some up and down movement in the lower part of the trailer. A few years ago I installed a pair of scissor jacks from Camping World just behind the wheels. That eliminates the up and down movement. The scissor jacks don't help much with horizontal movement but pretty well knock out the vertical movement. Just something else to spend your hard-earned money on, all in the name of comfort.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #14
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Campbud
That is why I said 98%
Sometimes I do use the bi-pod as the wife sometimes says the movement in the overhang when she is sleeping wakes her up. Doesn't me nor do I notice any, but I put it out then. she is happy! I do not notice any diff. Think it is all a carry over thing. I have been using it less and less so I think I am making head way to be bi_pod free. (restate that It is when I am up there getting ready to go to bed she says she feels the movement in the bed).

Also there is a label with setup instructions follow it to the letter. I put it on the inside of by door so I see it when using the power switch. It makes sure you have all the slack out of the JT. took a few times of doing it and it becomes second nature. but if you don't follow it. You can get some felt movement of trailer. Is not hard but does make big difference.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #15
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I believe the heavier the trailer the less the tripod will do. Moreover, looking at what is going on, it is the triangle support that is providing the "stability". A triangulaar tiedown to anchors would do even better because no weight would come off the front jacks.

In any event, the offer still stands, I have a tripod in my shop. Who ever wants them can have them for pickup or postage.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #16
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I had one but sold it. Too many times we were parked where the front end was too high for the bipod/tripod to reach from the ground up to the pin. Tried using several 2X6's under the legs but this defeats the stability factor. What do most of you do when you encounter this type of situation? Makes me think that if complete stability is what you want, maybe the JT Stabilizers are what should be installed. Much costlier than a bipod/tripod, though.

Orv
The one I have has adjustments in the legs and they each can be extended from 36" to about 60". We have had to extend them out a couple times but most sites are level enough that we do not need to adjust anything.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #17
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
I have a tri-pod, used it a couple times, now leave it home. It didn't seem to do much for our unit, and it is heavy and a pain to store. My bal wheel chocks seem to do a fine job with stabilizing (along with the rear stabilizers):

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=5623&src=SRQB

I'll probably sell the almost-new tripod .....
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #18
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We have the tripod and use it every time we set up wheel chocks also. Dancing in skivvies, whoah there's a scary picture.....Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #19
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I finished installing the JT's Strongarms and my tri-pod will be retiring. It was money well spent in my opinion. Tri-pods are very good too. Just now I dont have to haul it out and set it up.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote