Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
Montana_6513
Established Member

M.O.C. #6513
Bike racks

Anybody have experience or opinions about bike racks on a Montana. My hubby and I each have a mountain bike, two bikes total and we need to carry them with us.

Montana_6513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I carried 2 bikes on a ladder rack all this summer, trips to Florida, Tennessee and bunch of local CG and Glenn showed me at the Rally how it causes the screws to loosen up in the ladder. I think I may try to find another way of carrying them.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Front Hidden Hitch on Big Butt. No trouble seeing over the bikes, see just a bit of the seats and handle bars the way Al installed, etc. After a few miles, NOT an issue for us. Cost about $100 to 120. He installed in ohhh, maybe an hour at the outside, he had to make a few adjustments, but pretty much straight forward install. He knows HOW it was installed and can do periodic checks for bolts coming loose, that type of thing. Many other options, others will check in and fill ya in.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
We saw the bike rack TBHD has on the back of his TV and would really, really like to get some info on it. TBHD, can you provide any info on where you got your bike rack? We saw it on your personal website, listed on the MOC front page under MOC Members Personal Sites. Thanks!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
We saw the bike rack TBHD has on the back of his TV and would really, really like to get some info on it. TBHD, can you provide any info on where you got your bike rack? We saw it on your personal website, listed on the MOC front page under MOC Members Personal Sites. Thanks!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
On our 2004 3670 there is a lot of room between the rear of the truck and the front of the trailer which we've noticed on some of the newer models is not the same. The bike rack was a rear (square tube) bumper mount from our previous 5er. I bolted a piece of steel to it and welded a 2" square tube on it and it fits in the reciever (hitch) on the truck. So far have not had any clearance problems. Only bad thing is it has to come off to unhitch. There are pictures of it on tbhd"s picture trail. Also Glenn and Judy Denner are using a bike rack that they purchased. Maybe they will be along and tell us where they got it.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My Opinion..The ladder rack is bad news. we bought one, used it twice, took it off.I figured it was going to rip off my ladder.. we WILL have a rear hitch installed for a bike rack...no matter what...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I went with a receiver hitch and a bike rack on the back of my '07 Monte. over 6200 miles and no problems.
Ozz
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...erhitch005.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...erhitch009.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...erhitch001.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...camping002.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I agree...rear hitch is the way to go. My dad was a truck driver and over the years have discussed with him some of these things...mounting bikes on front of truck, mounting spare tire under front of 5er, each time he says; "If it comes loose will you run over it? When the answer is yes, then don't put it there." I think this is good rule of thumb to consider...
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Add to the equation the ability to remove the bike holder and install it in the TV.
Attached a picture of mine in Old Town Albuquerque. We left there and tried the 18 mile track along the Rio Grand, try it if you are able to get there, it's one of the best in the nation.
Ozz
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0002.jpg
Old 11-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #11
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I posted on an earlier thread, about front mount hitch for truck. When not towing I use it on back of truck. I have a tray that I use to haul moped on.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Ozz:
Like the hitch we had one put on our 3400RL, but installed a basket to carry our bikes. I also drilled new holes through the hitch and receiver at 90 degrees to stop flexing while moving.
Be very careful about anything you put on your ladder. On our previous trailer we were at the beach and found that the fiberglass pole and spinner that we had always put up had started to loosen the screws that went into the roof as well as the screws holding the ladder together were coming loose.
When I started to tighten the screws on the roof found that the holes were enlarged, and would not hold the screws. Easy fix was to fill holes with caulking, and trade in trailer for our first fifth wheel.
The only thing we mount on the ladder is a ladder that we tie down so there is very little flexing of the ladder going down the road. Enough stress is put on it when climbing the ladder to get on the roof, and I us the other ladder to get as high as possible to get on the roof.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:10 PM   #13
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
When you put the hitch on the rear of the Monty, did anyone need to move the rear jacks forward to allow room for the hitch attachment to the frame? Also if you had a choice is it better to have it welded or bolted to the frame? We are having this done in the Spring by our dealer. Also what size receiver do most people put on?
Thanks
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:27 PM   #14
jerrybb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6198
Did you purchase this item , designed as a bike rack or is it universal and could be used for heavier items ? I am thinking of buying some sort of lift to haul a golf cart ? Thanks
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:47 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have basically the same setup as TBHD. We saw Dennis' setup at the Elko rally. While this is a good setup you have to be sure that you have enough clearance between the truck and trailer. It seems that you need an extended pin box. We have a 2004 Monty and a long bed truck which gives us plenty of clearance. The bikes are easy to get on and off. If we're going to spend a night without riding out bikes, we can take the entire bike rack off in one piece without having to break it down.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:14 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would also caution about mounting ANYTHING to the ladder, the small screws and limited bracing is just not meant for any permanent loads. I cross my fingers and meekly climb it only when I have to.
When I had my hitch kit made, the hitch company, (Croft, in K.C. Mo.) said when they mount them, they usually move the jacks forward. I did not, I found I had barely enough clearance. It worked fine on mine.
Bolting it is best, welding is tricky up there, too many things that go 'Poof'.
2", you can always reduce down.
Hey Bob, how did you get to Missouri on your maps without hitting Iowa? Did someone tell you not to go there? Just kidding.
I welded and bent the bike rack myself, made a smaller one for Sue's car. You can buy lighter versions anywhere.
DO NOT try a heavier load, the frame is just too small, and the welds on it are not strong enough for a heavy load. Stay away from any vertical loads.
Some members are towing light items, so towing MAY work for you, but be careful.
I am no expert on this topic, I am only relating what I did, it may not be for everyone.
Ozz

Old 11-30-2006, 04:37 AM   #17
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nancy784

Anybody have experience or opinions about bike racks on a Montana. My hubby and I each have a mountain bike, two bikes total and we need to carry them with us.
Nancy & John,
We looked in to front mounted and receiver hitch bike racks and found the following one that is bumper mounted perfect for our needs.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/b...e-carriers.htm
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 AM   #18
bonscott
Established Member

M.O.C. #1097
We haul our two mountain bikes inside, on the bed. We just put an old blanket on the bed first, to save the bedspread. The 2 bikes
fit fine there. It may not be for everyone, as it is a bit awkward to lift the bikes onto the bed. Just a suggestion as an alternative.
bonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 AM   #19
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Did I not read somewhere and also did the Keystone Rep at the rally not state that welding or bolting anything on the rear frame of the Montana would void your warranty??
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Probably, but they will have to prove my rack caused a frame problem, and then we will see if my Lawyer can beat up their Lawyer.
Seriously, a major part of the enjoyment I get when I travel is slipping my bike off and exploring, it's good for my heart, I meet nice peps, and well, it makes me smile.
I'll chance it. Life's short and I'm on a roll...................
Ozz