Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2018, 04:43 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Slide Toppers - best

Looking at slide toppers for next season and have come up with just three main manufacturers, A&E/Dometic, Carefee and Solere (LCI). There are probably more (i.e. Girard) that tend to serve the high end MH owners but not really well advertised. Cost wise for the three mentioned above - doesn't seem to be a lot of difference.

I am aware of the pros (mostly) and consof these toppers

Now my questions:
-Is there a best of the three? Why?

- Is the metal guard woth the added bucks when the main awning usually doesn't have one?
- Is there a 'best' dealer. So far etrailer for the Solera and Makarios for the A&E/Dometic seem to lead with their 'net advertising.

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:40 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I can't speak for/against the others but have had Dometic on 3 Montanas and have been full-time for over 8 years and never a problem with them.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Looking at slide toppers for next season and have come up with just three main manufacturers, A&E/Dometic, Carefee and Solere (LCI). There are probably more (i.e. Girard) that tend to serve the high end MH owners but not really well advertised. Cost wise for the three mentioned above - doesn't seem to be a lot of difference.

I am aware of the pros (mostly) and consof these toppers

Now my questions:
-Is there a best of the three? Why?

- Is the metal guard woth the added bucks when the main awning usually doesn't have one?
- Is there a 'best' dealer. So far etrailer for the Solera and Makarios for the A&E/Dometic seem to lead with their 'net advertising.

Good question I am looking for the same answer, I am ready to get some installed. I had a 305RL Montana HC and I had Dometic deluxe.
Now another question is it worth while to get the next ones up and get the metal covering? My new Montana is a 3120RL 3 slides.
darrylwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylwt View Post
Good question I am looking for the same answer, I am ready to get some installed. I had a 305RL Montana HC and I had Dometic deluxe.
Now another question is it worth while to get the next ones up and get the metal covering? My new Montana is a 3120RL 3 slides.
I would not recommend the metal guard, I had it on my last camper & debris was always getting caught in there. The open ones like solera are self cleaning & simple, the quality seems good & I bought 2 from etrailer, 2 from amazon & 1 from ebay. For some reason the price varied by size, the last one I bought was 75$ cheaper on ebay, pays to shop around.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I put Dometic on are's had them on are SOB and never had any problems in 5yr's.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
OK - after you folks recommendations and a bunch more looking at various options will be ordering the A&E Dometic Deluxe toppers(no metal guard). I've determined which ones will be needed with Makarios RV confirming the part numbers. It ended up being a 'tossup' between the Dometis and Carefree with the LCI Solera's falling off my list, if for no other reason but their poor DIY installation instructions, with Dometics being the most detailed and the Carefree not bad
Old 11-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
If you are in Florida or someplace full sun all the time i would recommend the acrylic material over vinyl as the sun destroys vinyl in a couple of years.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
If you are in Florida or someplace full sun all the time i would recommend the acrylic material over vinyl as the sun destroys vinyl in a couple of years.

Yep, I'm aware that can be a problem. If they disintegrate too soon in northern NY, alongside Lake Champlain or along the coast of Maine, then I can make a call to Stone Vos ( http://stonevoss.com/) for $ome of their vinal replacemet$
Old 11-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
binkyk
Established Member

M.O.C. #11404
I would recommend the hard covers. Not because of any protection from dirt, but to keep the sun off of the fabric when awning is rolled up. We very seldom use our awning, but the fabric exposed when rolled up is starting to rot from the sun. We spend a few months in Florida during winter but live in Michigan.
Sun = hard on fabric.
binkyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The best material for the toppers is Sunbrella. That's the material that lasts decades when used for boat covers.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #11
Jim Homer
Established Member

M.O.C. #22634
We have Dometic and are very happy with them. Put them on ourselves. No problems.
Jim Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Somewhat related to slide toppers I am wondering if putting foil backed foam on top of the slides if your going to be parked for an extended period of time will help with heating and cooling?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote