Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
No water from the HOT side of faucet REVISED

Suddenly this morning, we have no hot water on the hot water side. There is water coming out of the cold water side at all of the faucets.

Checked the hot water heater at the pressure relief valve, and there IS hot water there....it just won't go to the faucet. When turning on the hot water faucets, there is no water at all.

Thinking there might be check valve or something, but don't know where it is located or how to replace or relieve the pressure.

Ideas? ....I need a hot shower. :-)

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Check valve is located on the water line coming out of the back of water heater. You may try a search as sever have pictures showing it.

Hope this helps.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Ozz had some pics but I'll be darned if I could find them. The check valve would be my guess. On ours it is brass and is on the outlet side of the water heater. I just took the guts out of ours and that is only a problem if you wanted to winterize
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
[s]I got it fixed.

I found the check valve on the top side of the backside of the water heater. I followed the line from the backflow preventer and found that it was "T"d; one side went to the house and one went to outside convenience side sprayer.

After turning on that outside sprayer, the valve released.....checked the house and hot water was flowing....YES!!

A real learning experience....now, time to clean up my mess.[/s]
Charlie and Wayne, thanks for your help!

Well, I got it all back together, replaced the walls, shelving and went to take a shower...guess what??? NO water from the hot water side....Somehow the backflow preventer plugged up again.

Guess I need to take it all apart again and take the guts out of it...I never winterize anyway, so this may be the solution.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I would say that it is time to just replace that puppy...Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Dogonit.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Hope you can get it fixed soon soin the mean time could you please stand down wind from us.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ok, it is working now, again.

Yes Don & Mary Ann, we'll stay downwind and as far away as possible.

Had a bear of a time getting the valve off the water heater with a 15' crescent wrench. Had to turn it clockwise first to break it loose, then back the other way to get it out.

Removed all of the guts from the valve, there was a spring, a white plastic plunger and a keeper in there.

The darned plastic hose that connected to the valve was up against the sewer vent pipe (very poor engineering), so getting the nut back on the valve squarely while standing on your head was a one-man and one-woman project of pushing the vent pipe out of the way and screwing the plastic hose on.....we feel very old now.

All is back together; off to the hot shower.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Good news Robbie, thanks for letting us know
Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I imagine getting a 15' crescent wrench in there would be difficult.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
That's more of what I love about the Monty, more chances for husband and wife bonding time.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Glad you got it fixed. If we where nwith you you could use our shower. We hope to be in Q in 2013 as we will both be retired. May you many trouble free miles.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I'm still trying to figure out how Alice managed to stay upwind of Robbie while she was pushing on the vent pipe
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lasater

I'm still trying to figure out how Alice managed to stay upwind of Robbie while she was pushing on the vent pipe
Actually, I pushed the vent pipe while she screwed the fitting on past the pipe.

This was important to get done....we both needed a shower!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Sorry, just caught this topic. We had the exact same problem last summer. Did the same as you. Took the guts out. Haven't had any problems since. Not sure why they stick this puppy in there.
FLtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #16
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FLtravelers

Sorry, just caught this topic. We had the exact same problem last summer. Did the same as you. Took the guts out. Haven't had any problems since. Not sure why they stick this puppy in there.
They have it in there so that you can bypass the water heater when winterizing. If you ever winterize you need it.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CmdrDewey

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FLtravelers

They have it in there so that you can bypass the water heater when winterizing. If you ever winterize you need it.
David,
Thanks, we don't winterize...we're full timers.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robbie, The valve they are talking about is a "Backflow Preventer" valve. I had the same problem and replaced it and now have a spare also. It keeps the cold water and any debris(or pink stuff) from floating back into the hot water thereby keeping the hot water hotter longer...It doesn't have anything to do with bypassing the heater when winterizing......it is on the outflow side of the heater. Many just take the guts out and let if flow, I elected to replace mine. As you can see it is easy to do, even for an old pilot like me.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Robbie, The valve they are talking about is a "Backflow Preventer" valve. I had the same problem and replaced it and now have a spare also. It keeps the cold water and any debris(or pink stuff) from floating back into the hot water thereby keeping the hot water hotter longer...It doesn't have anything to do with bypassing the heater when winterizing......it is on the outflow side of the heater. Many just take the guts out and let if flow, I elected to replace mine. As you can see it is easy to do, even for an old pilot like me.......
Thanks Phil,
It was fairly easy for a short, fat, balding guy with a sexy wife, too!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
On our water heater the line with the "backflow preventer" valve is labeled Hot and while it doesn't have anything to do with bypassing the hot water heater it does as Phil said, keep the anti-freeze from entering the water heater.