Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
homendn
Established Member

M.O.C. #6008
Send a message via ICQ to homendn Send a message via Yahoo to homendn
Old Topic, new Question - hydraulics

Good Morning all,

I did a search and found lots of info on Hydraulic leaks on the Slide hoses and pump and seal. That is all GREAT Info I didn't even know I needed to Know. Especially the info about the pump/reservoir connection. Good Stuff!!!

However, the New Question is this - first a bit of background. Last year I took the trailer up to Reno via Vegas leaving from San Diego. We stopped in Vegas and the temp was 119 degrees F. The poor AC couldn't even keep up with that ...... I parked and started to run the slides out. Bedroom went OK, but slow and the main only went half way and stopped. I went and checked the reservoir (sp?) and the darn thing was Empty. There was just a Tad of oil in the pan under the pump/reservoir, nothing Big. I ran to the RV store, after reading the manual, and purchased Type ATF Tranny fluid and started dumping that in by the quart. The slides worked just fine after that but OMG - there was a Ton of air in the lines.

Now here we are in March - 08 and after months of cycling the slides and filling I think I have all the air out and the reservoir seems to hold its level.

Now the questions - There was just a Tiny bit of oil in the pan under the pump and reservoir, so didn't appear to have a leak. There is No indication of leakage under the trailer.

Where do you figure all that oil went? If it is leaking up under the skirting, wouldn't there be some indication? Such as oil on the ground or an oily spot around the area where the actuators are?

I are stumped.

Any info would be most appreciated. I haven't pulled the under skirting down.

Dave in SOCAL!

homendn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Maybe a combination of two things? the tank may have not been full,it is something we take for granted, also maybe something in the belly where the hoses run is soaking up the oil so it hasen't appeared yet. but I have not had my underside open yet to see if that could happen. I am sure someone could answer that.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
homendn
Established Member

M.O.C. #6008
Send a message via ICQ to homendn Send a message via Yahoo to homendn
Thanks ......... interestingly enough, when I left San Diego I looked and the reservoir was about half full.
homendn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well if the reservoir was half full then it was empty the fluid had to go somewhere. It was not, as you state, in the pan under the pump so it has to be in the underbelly perhaps in a low spot.However if it was leaking all that fluid why did it stop as you indicate it is no longer leaking..Quote "interestingly enough, when I left San Diego I looked and the reservoir was about half full."... I would assume that when you looked the slides were IN so the reservoir should have been almost to the top. many mysteries here????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote