Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
TV in 3295

Our TV in our 3295 has broken the wood above the TV. I'm not sure what to do. We came down here on an interstate 55 into La. It was awful. Our pantry drawers and door came open and the drawers were hanging out when we stopped at a rest area. Anyone else had this problem.

ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We've had some of the same type problems. It happens only when we hit a really rough road. We've not had the problem with the TV. I'm not sure how you'd secure the TV if the wood has actually been pulled out. You might try putting down another layer of wood then put the screws through that.

If you can post some pics it might help to figure out how to fix.

Let us know what you end up doing.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ron, we had the drawer doors open just like you said, no tv problem though. We put new anchors on the drawers now so that won't happen again. It just so happened in La. to us too. How did the tv bounce high enough to break the wood above it, were the screws loose or backed out? I feel for you guys!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The top screw on our tv broke on that very same road last year on our way to the FCRV rally. It did not however break the wood. That is maybe the worst road in the country and we have vowed never to return to that part of LA again.We can weel see how that coul;d happen on that road..Look like you will need a new piece of wood.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ron,

LA was where we had the back cabinets over the desk open and toss stuff all around. We were lucky in that we saw the problem (open doors) and were able to climb on the kitchen counter and move the stuff so that it did not catch in the slide and close the doors. We now velcro those doors.

Also had one of the panty doors open one time, everything tossed out, I believe we had the refrigerator spring rods in that cupboard, not sure any more, but they did not hold. We now use two rods on each area in there. And double check them.

Have had the telie fall forward, but, never bounce up the way you are describing.

OH those sliding pantry drawers, Al put slide lock on each of them, too much heavy stuff on them, don't trust em.

Good luck with the telie fix, that sounds nasty.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I will try to post a picture here in a few days. The screw on top has pulled through on the back side of the wood at the top of the TV. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Might put screw through the other two speaker open areas. Yea we will not use that highway going back to In.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That top screw is stressing the wood and it is cracking at Ronstan describes. I would suggest the we check that spot as it can not be readily seen from the front. Securing the TV in that manner is no doubt the worst case of design engineering I have ever seen. Hummm this calls for a call to "team Montana" and see what can be done to correct than design flaw.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, I agree with Rich about the poor design but, in the meantime, I would think putting in two screws, one from each of the other speaker openings, it would at least divide the stress and hold better. We also had a screw break, like Rich and Helen did, but never had any wood damage.

On the drawers, the female side of those latches is spring loaded on both the right and left elements. The male side has to be perfectly centered between the two female parts to get good holding action from the springs. Once I adjusted ours we've had no more problems with drawers opening on the road. However, that road you were on might defy nearly any attempt to keep things in place.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #9
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Steve I had thought about putting two screws in the other places but don't know how to get the speakers out of the holes. Know how to do the center one but not the outside. Yes that road was a doozie. Not going back that way. We will go east for awhile and then head north.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, if your 3295 has a cabinet above the speakers like our 3400 does, in the leading edge of that cabinet should be a screw cover above each speaker. Under each cover is a long screw that screws into the speaker, just like those screws into the TV. That's how I got the speakers out on ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote