Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
A&E Awning

The knobs on each arm of my A&E awning are just spinning, they never get any tighter or looser. I assume that whatever nut was there has fallen out somewhere on the road. Anyone have any ideas on to fix this? When I go to extend the arms one of them moves smoothly and quickly, the other one takes two hands to extend or retract. Any thoughts on this problem? Also what are these little knobs for any way?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
The knobs serve to lock the rafters in position when the awning is rolled up, and keep the rafters locked in the extended position to keep the fabric taunt.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Sounds like the knobs are stripped. You will have to replace them. Not fun!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
The bolts that the knob goes on is square head on it that fits the square tube and the corners are probably rounded off. I suggest that you go to a dealer and get both the knobs and bolts. After replacing keep them lubed with WD40.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
....as for the "two hands", you probably have that support arm slightly bent where it won't slide in easily. If it's not too bent, you can just apply hand pressure and straighten it. If more is needed, you can use a metal bar or piece of angle iron and a couple of strong "C" clamps. Clamping it to the arm above and below the bend will pull it back into "straight".
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I had to replace one of those arms last year which hooks to the awning tube and it is no fun for one person. If worse comes to worse it is about 40 bucks per arm and mine had all the hardware attached.
Good Luck and be safe when working on the awning!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:10 AM   #7
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Thanks All.

Since our Montana is only 2 1/2 months old I assume that the warranty will cover this.

Our dealer is on the way home from the Spring MOC rally so I plan to drop in to have it looked at. However, we live 150 miles from our dealer and are headed to the Escapees Spring Escapade the weekend after the MOC Rally. I may have to schedule for another time and just bring it to the dealer and leave it for a week until I can pick it up again. Oh well, I guess it is just more practice at towing on the freeway.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:23 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Grant,

You may not have to go to the Dealer if it's a hassle. There is a chance any A&E distributor can help, or even A&E direct, as it is warranted on it's own. You might give thier customer service a call.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote