Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Rangoon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21851
Damaged in Storage

We have a 2013 Mountaineer Bunk House 346LBQ that we are storing in NC for 2 months to avoid the snow in MI before we are able to go to Florida. Today the campground called us to say someone trying to park a Class A across the street from us lost their brakes and drove into the Monty nearly head on. The impact pushed Monty off its blocks and several feet across the ground with the stabilizers down...looks like about 6 inches into the ground. The Class A ended up in our parking space. The damage to the front cap will need to be repaired, and I'm sure the stabilizers will be a problem, but my main concern is what kind of frame damage, pipe/hose damage, roof damage, seal damage, etc. should we expect to the rest of the unit from a head-on hit like that? I foresee issues down the line and wonder if it will be safe to drive/use again?

Second Question...If you think it is safely fixable, can anyone recommend a repair facility near Mebane, NC that does good work quickly? We have to be in FL by the 1st of Jan so MIL has a place to stay. We are at home in MI but will have to orchestrate this with help from our children in Raleigh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Hit 1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	2757   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Hit 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	2758   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Hit 3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	2759   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Hit 4.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	2760  

Rangoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Ouch! I can relate. I almost tore off my rear cap when the tailswing caught a steel column and almost ripped my rip cap completely off. I googled RV repair and found a place in the DFW area about 45 miles from me with very good reviews. Not a dealer. Repair and customization shop only. They also have a satellite shop less than 15 miles away. I called them, they said take it to their satellite shop, they would tow it to their main shop. They did the same day, had estimate next day, got insurance approval next day, and began work. Even with July 4th holiday in middle, it was all done in 3 weeks. And they did a great job. $14,000 worth of damage. Yours doesn’t look nearly as bad unless there is hidden frame damage.

Maybe I just got lucky. But you might give google a try if no one can suggest a shop for you. From comments I have read I think I would avoid a dealer’s repair shop.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:28 AM   #3
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
The person driving that pusher is an idiot and should not be driving that rig. More than likely the rig ran out of air for the brakes trying to park it. This is why CDL air endorsement needs to be acquired before you can drive any vehicle with air brakes. Lucky no one got killed.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:01 AM   #4
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
The person driving that pusher is an idiot and should not be driving that rig. More than likely the rig ran out of air for the brakes trying to park it. This is why CDL air endorsement needs to be acquired before you can drive any vehicle with air brakes. Lucky no one got killed.
If he ran out of air the brakes should have set up
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Unfortunate. Hope he or his insurance pays. When we kept ours in storage, had a window broken, and another time a robbery where some serious damage was done. Hope your repairs are done timely for you.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
So sorry to hear of this unfortunate incident!

Perhaps if you posed your frame questions to Keystone, they can offer some advice. They may also know of a good repair facility.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Just from looking at the pics I cant see how there would be any frame damage. The cap sticks out a good distance beyond the frame. It does not take much force to move even with the legs down.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #8
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
I’m thinking the motorhome might have pushed against the pin box ? In which case that might be a good thing. I’d still be worried about the joints around the cap.
From the pictures I’d guess foot was still on the accelerator air brakes should have locked if no air.
Good luck and keep us updated.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
Rangoon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21851
Thanks all,
The kids looked at it yesterday and said it appears the only inside damage was to the closet shelving and some trim around the front. They said it moved about 40 feet, but appears to have mostly been a roll downhill with the last 5 - 8 feet having the front stabilizers about 6" into the ground. Back stabilizers are about 6" above the ground! So maybe we'll get lucky - we have a repair person coming to look next week. The park mgt. put duct tape over the cracks in the fiberglas to (hopefully) keep the rain out.
Rangoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
So sorry to hear about this! I know how disheartening it is to have something you prize damaged in anyway. Hopeful you will be able to have it repaired and it will be good as new.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
If you fix it, you will want to run your landing gear up and down to see if they still operate freely. It doesn't take much to bend those legs. The legs are easily replaced. I'm surprised with a hit like that your pull pins on the legs didn't come out of their holes. Unless it's just the pic, I only see one rut in the ground. Is it only resting on the right leg? Did the pin in the left leg release?

Was it hooked up to electric/water/cable? If so did those connections survive? Run all of the slides to make sure they still open/close accurately. Check the gap on your interrior doors to see if they still look normal which might indicate a bent wall.

Good luck and hope it turns out well for you.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
You'll need an expert in RV damages and repairs to give you/insurance company a proper evaluation. You may be fortunate since it appears the front leveler legs and maybe the other 4, just dug into the ground rather than bend. Clearly, their mounting locations and adjacent frames must be looked at closely. I'm venturing a guess you'll be okay except for the front cap, which needs replacing.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #13
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Look around the area for an RV collision center. I know a friend of mine brought his from NC to here in GA to a place I recommended to him called Spartan RV Collision Center in Buford, GA. They do excellent work.