Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
It continues

Last trip we took the gears on the hydraulic slide stripped. Left yesterday for Las Vegas. Pulled in an rv park that's on the way. The right rear "wetbolt" with the yellow cam fell out somewhere on the road. Called the only repair shop in town, it's an auto repair shop. Guy came out and pounded a bolt back in. I understand things happen. But this has been a never ending saga. Shower door handles falling off, ceiling fan blades falling down, ripped new awning at repair shop tearing vent caps. Tire wearing fast, logging truck throwing branch into cap causing a hole. Slide out ripping cabinet doors off, fridge stopped working , I hit a big piece of driftwood damaging in aluminum near door. I have flooded this twice. Backing trailer into new 70 thousand dollar truck. It's at the point where it's just no fun any longer..trim boards falling, led lights burning out.. this is a 15! Fender screws coming out, fenders flapping due to NO SUPPORT..hope the rest of the trip is ok...How do those spring bolts come out by themselves? Can't even get grease in them....

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Unfortunately, you are one of the lucky ones The suspension bolts can be taken care of by making sure they are torqued properly, and if they can't take grease, replace them. We have caught cabinet doors a couple of times, but not any more as we use Velcro tape to tie the doors together around the handles. Screws on the fenders will never come loose if you use spring nuts on the screws, https://www.mcmaster.com/spring-nuts. Fan blades should be checked with your trusty screwdriver. Shower door handles normally won't come off if the doors are secured so they don't slide open and closed while traveling, and if they do, just glue them back on. Bulbs, LED and incandescent, both can burn out, just use the best quality you can find when you replace them. If the fridge died due to running off level, after you get the cooling unit replaced, be sure to install an ARP device, https://www.arprv.com/. Trim coming loose just happens. All the rest, I'm sad to say, is what you have done to yourself. Towing one of these rigs takes all your attention and also that of someone riding shotgun. Some things can't be totally avoided, but some times if you aren't following too close or are looking farther down the road while driving, you can prevent damage. Good luck.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
X2 above.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:17 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:32 AM   #5
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
for fender screws I had great success with Silicone.
I unscrewed them, put a splash Silicone on the hole and screwed them in again.
Never touched them again.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Unfortunately, you are one of the lucky ones The suspension bolts can be taken care of by making sure they are torqued properly, and if they can't take grease, replace them. We have caught cabinet doors a couple of times, but not any more as we use Velcro tape to tie the doors together around the handles. Screws on the fenders will never come loose if you use spring nuts on the screws, https://www.mcmaster.com/spring-nuts. Fan blades should be checked with your trusty screwdriver. Shower door handles normally won't come off if the doors are secured so they don't slide open and closed while traveling, and if they do, just glue them back on. Bulbs, LED and incandescent, both can burn out, just use the best quality you can find when you replace them. If the fridge died due to running off level, after you get the cooling unit replaced, be sure to install an ARP device, https://www.arprv.com/. Trim coming loose just happens. All the rest, I'm sad to say, is what you have done to yourself. Towing one of these rigs takes all your attention and also that of someone riding shotgun. Some things can't be totally avoided, but some times if you aren't following too close or are looking farther down the road while driving, you can prevent damage. Good luck.
So what you are saying is while on my trips i need to rebuild this trailer? I have had many 5vers.. the suspension bolts never came out, nor on any cars I have owned. So my fault. Shower door handles falling off? Yes, glued them back on, they fell off again. My fault. I have never ever had an rv fender without rear support. I have put wing nuts on the fender backs. Never did this before. I will on my next trips, remove the roof material to be sure all the screws are attatched correctly, i will look under the roofing membrane to see if the glue is good. I should remove the walls to check the wiring, plumbing, , i dont want the stuff to break due to my lack if checking things I assumed were put together correctly at the factory on an 80,000 rv. My fault...thanks.. The fridge quit with liop error. This means LIMIT SWITCH OPEN. FACTORY TOLD ME TO PICK UP CAMP AND GO HUNDREDS OF MILES TO THE NEAREST REPAIR facility, WHEN THEY COULD HAVE TOLD ME THE MAGNET PROCEDURE.. When the rope lights burnt out the factory REFUSeD TO TELL Me where i can get new ones!. How bout the slide gears?. What do you do to make sure your gears dont strip? You know?, i bought this rv to enjoy, relax and have fun. Occassional things I get. But this is nearly every trip. If my ram constantly needed work, and had things strip, fenders fall off, glass coming out, ram would go broke. Sorry, sounds like you are defending Keystone..I have never bought anything in my life that should give pleasure only to give me so much misery... I really need to either find another rv, used mobile suites or K-Z ESCALADE, OR JUST get out of rving..thanks THOR! In our journeys we have had people wanting to get a new RV. They ask how we like our Montana? I give them our experience and they say, "thanks, we will look elsewhere, to which i proceed to tell them any Thor product be careful..Sorry gang, but "they all dont do it". Oh, btw on the ceiling fan. The screws are in an area where you just about need a 90... i have done them. Please don't patronize me as if im some kind of person who cannot do things..i have put new slide gears in. Yes, i do have a "trusty screwdriver".Saying towing these takes all your attention is another snyde remark. I have been doing this since 1992. Nearly 30 years.. most likely longer than you have..I paid that repair out of my pocket...the Aluminum piece was 200.. the box to ship it was 300... i have taken responsibilities for what I have done. But I WONT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for suspension parts falling off, gears stripping, and factory lack of support..things i have done? Anderson dealer GUARENTEED TRUCK AND TRAILER WOUKD NOT MEET ON MY NEW SB RAM. LOGGING TRUCK BRANCH FLEW INTO MY CAP, causing a hole.. yea, i did that!.. right.. the only thing I DID WAS FLOOD AND HITTING THE WOOD.. ALL THE REST IS ON KEYSTONE. OH, THe DEALER WHO FIXED THE HOLE RIPOED THE VENT CAPS OFF WITH THEIR AIRHOSE AND BENT MY AWNING TUBE AND PUT HOLes IN THE AWNING.. I SWEAR THIS THING Is CURSED!
Old 03-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
DFB,

Sorry to hear about all your issues.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I had another brand that had many problems from the start and I was frustrated like you and finally traded it in for my 2014 Montana. I kept my rv for about 18 months and decided I didn't buy this rv to work on it every time I took it out. As frustrated as you are it would probably be better to get rid of it as it seems you have a lemon even though some things might be beyond your or Keystones fault. When you loose confidence in something it doesn't matter if the problems stopped, you won't like it. If the Montana I have now was like the previous brand then I would be out of the rv business. This is one industry that builds a lot of cheap as in quality junk. This will be my last rv on account I haven't used it enough because of health issures to warrant even having one and it has many improvements and looks like new inside and out. Hopefully someone else will be getting a good one when I decide to sell.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #9
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Thanks for your understanding. I have now a gas leak that emptied one of my propane tanks.. just went to Johnny Walker's and looked around.. calling lippert on Monday to get another cam and bolt...with the bad luck I have had with this fiver, i really believe God Hates Me..
Old 03-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #10
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Thank Texan and traveler. I know the other tried to help me,but in my mood I just took it wrong.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:06 AM   #11
Starman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23643
Dfb, I feel your pain! We call out Montana “lemonade” because we’re thinking positive. Believe me we’ve called it other names too. We had a Forrest river for 17 years and not one problem. We desided it isn’t gonna stop us from traveling. We have had issues with just about everything from a leaking roof thru the vents to a burned out vacuum motor and on and on.
I’ve found this forum to be a great help. Stay positive, relax and take it as a learning curve. It’s also a way to get new tools.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:36 AM   #12
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Thank you..appreciated..
Old 03-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #13
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I think you're correct about not trusting this rv.. I have never heard of a leaf spring bolt coming out before. If an accident occurred, I hate to think..it's a toss up right now on getting out of rving, or finding another.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #14
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Sorry to hear about your problems. But it can happen with any brand my best friends have a Forest River 5er and I think he could best you one. Had what you had and has the fresh water tank fallen out twice along with all the other stuff. He is parked right next to me now. Also a go traveling buddy has a Tiffin motor home with more problems than you.
Just saying every brand has their Lemons. Hope you find a good one next time.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #15
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Ordered new bolt, stop signs for axle. Lippert said they do not recommend the wet bolts any longer. THey said they also dont make e correct track either Asked a mobile mechanic about the cost of swapping out my pressure regulator, 154.00!. So, i bought a regulater and changed it. Lifting up my cargo door to my tools away, every screw "stripped" out of the door!. Im starting to laugh....A repair shop said he as seen many of the correct track bolts on the rear leaf springs cone out. He said it is the bolts design. They need lock nuts installed..Anyway, THE BELLAGIO HAS a reat buffet. 9.00 to park, 8.00for the atm and 92.00 with 5.00 tip at the buffet... i think we will take "the Dam tour" today..
Old 04-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same here with the screws stripping out of the cargo doors.Keystone saya tough luck.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #17
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheo View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems. But it can happen with any brand my best friends have a Forest River 5er and I think he could best you one. Had what you had and has the fresh water tank fallen out twice along with all the other stuff. He is parked right next to me now. Also a go traveling buddy has a Tiffin motor home with more problems than you.
Just saying every brand has their Lemons. Hope you find a good one next time.
DFB

I've only been doing it for 25 years.

We've had 3 Forest Rivers and 2 Montana's, 2 out of the 3 were Lemons, so far our 17 has had only 1 "event" our small wardrobe slide is the cable style and as we arrived home from a 2 week Florida trip had a cable snap, scared the crap out of the DW.

Fender screws, handles, drawer slides, fan blades loose are to be expected with any model, your pulling a trailer down the highway, you cant sweat the little stuff.

I check my bolts every long trip, even the pin box bolts. Do as much preventive maintenance you can to limit damages.

the last storm we had, a branch went through our Bay Window at the house, HW heater went out 1 year ago, Dish Washer sprung a leak last summer, Pool heater had to replaced last summer also, not gonna buy a new house.

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #18
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Same here with the screws stripping out of the cargo doors.Keystone saya tough luck.
How did you fix it? Right now i stuck toothpix in the holes to give the screws some bite..thanks
Old 04-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #19
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
DFB

I've only been doing it for 25 years.

We've had 3 Forest Rivers and 2 Montana's, 2 out of the 3 were Lemons, so far our 17 has had only 1 "event" our small wardrobe slide is the cable style and as we arrived home from a 2 week Florida trip had a cable snap, scared the crap out of the DW.

Fender screws, handles, drawer slides, fan blades loose are to be expected with any model, your pulling a trailer down the highway, you cant sweat the little stuff.

I check my bolts every long trip, even the pin box bolts. Do as much preventive maintenance you can to limit damages.

the last storm we had, a branch went through our Bay Window at the house, HW heater went out 1 year ago, Dish Washer sprung a leak last summer, Pool heater had to replaced last summer also, not gonna buy a new house.
Please forgive, not to be disparaging, but my Ram goes gown the road like our trailer. The ram does not have fenders falling off, or screws backing out, or leaf spring bolts coming out, or gears stripping..sorry for your troubles as well..i have been at this since 92, so 27 years..
Old 04-03-2019, 06:54 AM   #20
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
dfb, I emphasize with you and your problems. I agree with your analogy comparing your RV to your truck as their cost to purchase is similar, however one has only to read any of the diesel forums to realize how unreliable new diesel trucks are. Eventually shoddy workmanship will catch up with the RV manufactors as more and more consumers get fed up with spending valuable vacation time making repairs to their RV or truck. Of course you know that as soon as you sell your unit it will become completely reliable ☺️