Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Saved by PressurePro System

We were returning home after a camping trip, and the PressurePro System went off. This was the first time we ever heard it go off and were quite startled. The pressure was at 70, then 51, and finally at 12. This all happened in just a few seconds. I was lucky to quickly find a place to pull over and stop. I didn't want to wait for road service and changed the tire myself and found where a nail had punctured the tire. Thankfully the Monty was not damaged, but I am sure that it would have been if we hadn't had the PP's.

For those of you that don't have the PressurePro System, I highly recommend it and at some point in your travels it will definitely pay for itself.

nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Don and Joy, glad the PPS worked so well for you! No telling how much money you saved by getting a warning before the tire caused some damage to the rig (or to you guys).
Carolyn & Wayne
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
It should at the top of everyones list as for a safety issue item. It does work. I will not pull a 5th wheel without the Pressure Pro System. Its good to hear that the Montana was save by the PPS. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Hope we never hear the alarm go off, but we have the PPS just in case. A blown tire at interstate speeds sure can do a lot of damage. Nice report!
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Don. We also purchased the pressure pro as we were in Florida this year. On our 2nd day of travel heading home we also picked up some metal in a tire on the monty. Money well spent. And yes, when the alarm went off, DW and I did not know what all the noise was for. It took a few second's to kick in what was happening. We were also startled when it went off.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great stories, you guys. I can tell you what happens when you don't have it. Since I have put it into use, thankfully, there is nothing to report except a relaxed confidence.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hey Guys we were between Van Horn Texas and Pecos on I-10 at 2:00 am and the pressure pro went off, I said oh no, however we got stopped and had no flat tires however a Truck had just passed us and for some reason we got a false alarm. Kinda a scary moment, but I still want leave home without the PPS. That was the only false alarm we have ever had. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Since radio transmitters are used to communicate the air pressue, I wonder if the opposing vehicle also had your same PPS and your monitor was reading that vehicles pressure. I also wonder if the other vehicle got a warning in case it picked up your transmitter readings. It's better to check to be safe than sorry.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had one on the 3400 since day one (3 years now). I learned the value from this forum and had it ordered and delivered before we had the 3400 home. It has gone off twice and was instrumental in having the OEM valve stems replaced.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
When the PP Alarm goes off--it definitely gets your attention. We had it happen after we had just left Camp Muck-a-Luck in Hyder, AK. So, we returned to the park, and rechecked all the tire pressures. I hooked up my compressor and aired up a tire that needed a little air! I definitely believe in the system
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As yet I have not invested in the PPS but reading some of these replies it has me rethinking.

I do want to point out just one thing. One statement made was "A blown tire at interstate speeds sure can do a lot of damage." While the PPS will signal low pressure it will not signal a tire about to blowout. Most all tires do not loose pressure prior to a blowout, they just blowout. Yes your PPS will sound off but the tire will already be flat and, at interstate speeds, until you get the rig to a safe stop the tire will more than likely be totally shredded and the damage to the rig will already be done.
Just wanted to point out that the PPS may warn of low PSI but not a potential blowout. Do not get a false sense of security with the PPS as a reason to not check your tires frequently.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Sorry Glenn, I used the term "Blowout" loosely and generically for tire issues...not the best I know. However, I do know of people that have had a blowout and not even know they had a problem until a passerby alerts them to the issue. And as most know that have had blowouts, every minute counts after the blowout for limiting further damage to the trailer. That is the reason we purchased the PPS. Wouldn't be without it. Also it's nice to check tire pressures by just pushing the button on the PPS and not having to go around to each tire with a tire gage.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I only used your statement to point out that just because we have a PPS we shouldn't be lolled into a false sense of security concerning blowouts.

I also realize that, without a PPS, we won't necessarily know a tire blew until another driver tells us so.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We had at least 6 tire failures in just over a year on our first 5er, every thing from a slow failure we discovered in a WM parking lot after a break, to a smoke rolling out of the wheel well heart stopper, to total destruction of a brand new tire at 60-65 mph which we discovered when we stopped for fuel a couple of miles down the road. We never felt a tire fail, had any damage or handling problems. We were never warned by other drivers, there were none. The trailer had 15" rims and was too heavy for them, and a run of bad tires. I switched to 16" rims. The trailer didn't have the plastic around the wheel wells to break either. It still would have been nice to have a pressure monitor though and I'm looking at getting one now.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
dmacy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8921
I have a PPS and it works great. Last year I had a blow out and the alarm went off, I looked in the mirror saw smoke and quickly pulled over. The tire was shredded. I had a crack in the plastic skirt and that was all. I guess I was lucky. The PPS works great but a blowout is instantous.
dmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #16
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I punctured a tire and the system let me know in time so I was able to stop before I messed up the tire.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I too also have the pps.So far no alarm has gone off on mine.The only downside for the system that I know of personally is coming out from shopping at a Wal-Mart I discovered that all 4 of the sensers where stolen off the truck.I wasn`t a happy camper thats for sure.I guess I can look on the bright side,at least the truck was still their.I wasn`t towing at the time.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by harleyrider

I too also have the pps.So far no alarm has gone off on mine.The only downside for the system that I know of personally is coming out from shopping at a Wal-Mart I discovered that all 4 of the sensers where stolen off the truck.I wasn`t a happy camper thats for sure.I guess I can look on the bright side,at least the truck was still their.I wasn`t towing at the time.
I bought the locknuts and use them. The only way the sensors can be stolen (if the locknuts are tight) is to strip the top of the sensor off.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
One would have to know what they were so a fellow RV'er or trucker no doubt took them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #20
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
So far this summer we have seen two people motoring down the highway with a flat tire that they were totally unaware of until a passerby caught there attention. Even if you have a sudden blowout you will know immediately allowing you to react and keep the damage to a minimum. My money is on the PPS and we WILL NEVER tow without one!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote