Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
Polanski

M.O.C. #11257
Problem w/water New Owner

We just bought a 2007 Montana 3000rk and love it. We took our shake down trip this week-end to Sedona Az. Everything was fine except for one problem. We couldn't get water to our hot water faucets. There was water in the hot water heater and the heater was heating it, but when we turned on the faucets we got a small flow and then it stopped. Any suggestions. I read that there is a valve at the hot water heater that controls this. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Polanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Check the bypass valve in the convience center. It should be in the off position.
Welcome and good luck!
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Polanski,
Welcome to the Form and Congratulations on getting your Montana.
I did a search on "check Valve"; I did click on specific wording. This post by OZZ explains the check valve and its repair. There are many others out there that will help.

Basically there is a check valve on the hot water out side of the water heater. It fails and needs to be replaced. If you do not plan on winterizing soon you can temporarily remove it to have hot water until it is replaced.

I hope this helps.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
I just got done fixing the same problem. Lots of cold water, but no water coming out of hot faucet. There was some good info (can't remember the topic but I searched water heater and found it) that talks about the brass valve on the water heater. I turned off the water, drained the water heater, then took off the line (Hot output) and sure enough the brass fitting was full of crud. I took out the little plastic piece inside and put the velve back on. Works perfect. Hopes it helps.
AJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
http://www.rvdoctor.com/2010/02/rv-w...-what-for.html

You may wish to replace the valve. If it is full of crud then chances are so is the bottom of your heater. I have been told the best way to flush the tank is to turn off the water supply to the RV, drain the heater by removing the anode and then turn on the water with the anode cap off. Replace the anode if it is badly eroded. I use a piece of copper tubing on the end of a hose to swish out the tank. It is effective but slow as the tubing partially blocks the drain and the tank starts to fill. Anyone care to share how they do it?
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Just had the very same problem last week....and got the answers from others here....Here is the link to the topic.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43433

Hope this is your solution.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote