Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #21
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Looking back I can see the original poster is measuring height from the ground of unloaded truck vs height of I assume a level camper and then making the faulty assumption that the difference will be his truck to camper clearance.

Actually the clearance is determined by the difference in the 5th wheel plate and the top of the trucks bed rail. And on most trucks that is adjustable. In other words deeper truck boxes (height of bed sidewalks) is the real concern.

What can be of concern with newer taller trucks is how level the trailer is after it is hitched up. Obviously you don’t want the trailer so nose high that there is significantly more weight on its rear axle

To answer that question I will defer to someone who has actually taken a similar rig to a level location and checked how level the trailer is while hooked up. I haven’ done that yet with new rig but since it has come up I will now first chance I get.

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #22
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The last time I studied this, any Ford 2WD and all duallys have 2" axle spacer blocks. The 4WD SRW models have 4" spacer blocks. Given the increased depth of the newer truck beds, the lower profile 2" block models have the better chance of being able to tow the trailer level AND have 6+" of bed clearance.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #23
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
The last time I studied this, any Ford 2WD and all duallys have 2" axle spacer blocks. The 4WD SRW models have 4" spacer blocks. Given the increased depth of the newer truck beds, the lower profile 2" block models have the better chance of being able to tow the trailer level AND have 6+" of bed clearance.
So are you saying an SRW is the worst choice to tow with if your concerned about clearance?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:07 AM   #24
ontheroad10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17252
Thank you all for your comments. It is very helpful before I commit to a new purchase. I was told I could reduce the height of only the rear axle by 2 inches if I change the blocks from 4'' to 2''. I still wish the trucks were lower. My other concern is the total height is about 7'. When I detach, there are times I need to park in structures that have a max of 6' 7''. I'm beginning to think I should keep my 03!!
ontheroad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:15 AM   #25
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I am sure the engineers at Ford have considered this since most of us tow 5th wheels and horse trailers. I have not heard any complaints about the bed height.This has only to do with the height of the hitch. My B&W is adjustable up and down forward and back. I have a short bed and had to move mine back one bolt hole because I had clearance problems. (expensive lesson) I can still move my hitch back another hole if I need to. I thought I had it worked out at home but not so fast grasshopper.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #26
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad10 View Post
Thank you all for your comments. It is very helpful before I commit to a new purchase. I was told I could reduce the height of only the rear axle by 2 inches if I change the blocks from 4'' to 2''. I still wish the trucks were lower. My other concern is the total height is about 7'. When I detach, there are times I need to park in structures that have a max of 6' 7''. I'm beginning to think I should keep my 03!!
Nothing wrong with this if its still doing the job.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #27
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
. I was told I could reduce the height of only the rear axle by 2 inches if I change the blocks from 4'' to 2''. ..........
I had the 4" blocks changed to 2" blocks on my previous 2007 F350. I liked the way it sat better. And it actually straightened the drive line somewhat. Considered it for my current 2012, but have not done it. 5er rides just slightly nose high. But a new truck would probably be too high. My hitch is as low as it will go. And new Ford beds are 21" deep vs 20" on older models taking away an extra inch of clearance.

Years ago, Ford had a technical service bulletin (TSB) advising the some F350s may be too high for properly towing a 5er. And at one time would actually change the blocks under warranty.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #28
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
We tow the same rig as the original poster. First few years with a '01 2500 2X4 and last two with a '16 3500 2X4. The newer truck is certainly taller than the old one; I now carry a stool so I can reach the tool box in the bed where I could easily reach it in the old truck. (6'1" tall) However, with the auto-level system, the '16 lowers itself 1-2 inches after the weight of the rig is on it and the fiver tows level. In AZ we very rarely have snow, ice or mud on the roads we travel and anyway, we are retired and don't have to be anywhere at any specific time. We have traveled cross-country numerous times during winter weather. On occasion, we have just hunkered down for a few days until the weather/roads cleared. I have owned several 4X4s in the past and I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time; no trading every few years. That said, we have never been in a situation since we have been RVing the last 17 years where a 4X4 was required or even preferable. I understand that others may feel differently; that's just my opinion. Everyone has one.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #29
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2010 View Post
We tow the same rig as the original poster. First few years with a '01 2500 2X4 and last two with a '16 3500 2X4. The newer truck is certainly taller than the old one; I now carry a stool so I can reach the tool box in the bed where I could easily reach it in the old truck. (6'1" tall) However, with the auto-level system, the '16 lowers itself 1-2 inches after the weight of the rig is on it and the fiver tows level. In AZ we very rarely have snow, ice or mud on the roads we travel and anyway, we are retired and don't have to be anywhere at any specific time. We have traveled cross-country numerous times during winter weather. On occasion, we have just hunkered down for a few days until the weather/roads cleared. I have owned several 4X4s in the past and I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time; no trading every few years. That said, we have never been in a situation since we have been RVing the last 17 years where a 4X4 was required or even preferable. I understand that others may feel differently; that's just my opinion. Everyone has one.
If that works for you great. Your experienced enough to know what your buying.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #30
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
I have determined it is time to upgrade my 03 F350 diesel. Looking at the 2018 XLT, but while shopping it appears my only option for a newer f350 is a 4x4 which adds about 4 inches of bed height. My rig is a 2013 3100 Rl which is about 60 inches measured from ground to front cab. The height of newer 4x4 is about 57 inches, leaving about 3 to 4 inches of cab clearance. How do you 4x4 truckers handle the low clearance?
Just a suggestion, if you have 3-4 inches, ie: truck 57, trailer 60, take in truck drop when you put pin weight on the truck. It will probably drop at least 3 inches, thus you now have 6-7 inches clearance.

I went thru the same thing with my '12 3500 drw Ram. Back bed rails were 57" tall. Hooked up, loaded, I am level with about 8 inches of clearance. The truck will settle some after a bit of driving with weight on it. (Loaded pin weight on mine is 32-3400lbs)

Personally I would get the 4x4 and not look back. A good friend has a 2x4 F350 drw. A 2016 I think. The back is high as mine but the front looks like they forgot to put springs in it. The most awful thing you have ever seen.

Good luck with that new truck.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #31
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
According to the Ford towing guide, the F250 and F350 are just a fraction of an inch less than 60 inches. My neighbor has a 2017 F250 4x4 with a gas engine. He was quite concerned, but he found when he hooked his 08 Designer, it sat very level and it has ample bed clearance. It shouldn't take too long to search the profiles on rv.net to find someone with one of the 17 or newer F350's to get some advice from
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #32
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
Tow with a new 4x4 Super Duty I took delivery of a month ago, ordered with the fifth wheel prep and the hitch supplied by Ford. No issues on bed rail to bottom of 5er. I have at least 6" between the bed rail and bottom of trailer.
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote