Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
dhatley4

M.O.C. #12902
TV cabinet size

I just purchased a used 2006 3500RL Montana to leave on my northern property year round. The unit came with the original old style TV's and I want to replace them with new HD flat screen tv's. Because I don't have the 5th wheel here at home I can't measure the cabinet opening for the living room tv. Can anyone tell me what the measurements of the cabinet opening are? I would like to purchase new tv's before making my next trip to my camp site, but I want to make sure to purchase the proper size that will fit properly into the cabinet.

dhatley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
i put in the front room a 22" TV and in the living room i have a 32" TV you could do a 36" but it will hang over a little
jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Some of us have installed larger TVs that the originals. Since they are very thin you can install them outside the cabinet overlapping the edges a little. My original was a 26". I replaced it with a 32" LED LCD. Much nicer TV. The LED LCD TVs are thinner than the standard LCD.
You would have to add a little simple frame or board or something to hang the mounting bracket, but doesn't have to be elaborate.
Here are some photos of mine. I got a little carried away. But you can see how the TV looks mounted outside the cabinet framework.
TV modification
Others have posted pictures of different approaches to installing larger TVs.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
dhatley4

M.O.C. #12902
Nice job Bill, thanks for the ideas!
dhatley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
That's a nice job but my TV cabinet is slanted and it has a slide out tray. I just set my 32 in TV in the hole and that way I can pull out the tray and then can angle the TV in the direction I want. For travel I just slide it back into the corner and have 2 velcro straps that hold it against the back wall of the TV cabinet. Now I don't have kids so I don't have to worry bout anyone knocking the TV off the pull out shelf. But just in case I have a couple of C-clamps that I fashioned into little clips that capture the base, just to make it a little hard to knock off. Not that I am clumsey or anything lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave-- Do you have any photos of the way you did yours? Got to redesign mine and yours sounds like it might work!

Bill-- Nice set up and really good pictures too. Thinking of putting more storage behind the TV on our unit from the bathroom side for towels and etc. Should be able to do it with your design also!

Thanks guys for your ideas!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There have been some previous discussions on modifications different people have done to install larger TVs. Several have posted pictures of those mods showing different methods they used to do it. But I tried searching for those threads with no luck in finding them. Maybe you will have more success. Or maybe someone else will pop in with a link to them.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I'll have to take a couple of pics when I get home....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Dave-- Do you have any photos of the way you did yours? Got to redesign mine and yours sounds like it might work!

Bill-- Nice set up and really good pictures too. Thinking of putting more storage behind the TV on our unit from the bathroom side for towels and etc. Should be able to do it with your design also!

Thanks guys for your ideas!
Rondo, this is what we did in our old unit
TV Fix
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Webbyone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12647
Just a plug for our new web pages, Members Show N Tell can be found here.

BB_TX and The Oldguard, unless you have some objection, I would like to add your mods to that Show N Tell page.

Just yell if you do not want them added, otherwise, I will do so in the next day or so.

Sincerely, Webmaster

Webbyone is offline   Reply With Quote