Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Internet Service and Parking Costs

We're preparing to go full time this year. We own property in Alaska and will summer up here in our Montana and head south for the winter months. I think we've got our plan together except for how to stay connected via internet (banking, etc.) and where to park that is less expensive than a hotel.

I assume that finding a Wi Fi spot is the only answer to internet service. How do you know were to find a hot spot when you're traveling? Is there a better way?

I'm thining of joining Good sam or Escapees for information on campgrounds, etc.. Where do full timers park their Montana for extended periods that doesn't cost an arm and leg? Thoughts and Recommendations?

danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
A lot us full timers have memberships in Thousand Trails, Coast-to-coast, Passport America, etc. We park a lot on church parking lots because we do a lot of volunteer work with churches. Don't need hookups because we have solar panels. For internet service, we have our own High Speed Satellite Internet service with Starband. So we never are without internet service. When we did it with our cell phone, there were many times we were shut out -- weak signal, no signal, etc.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Orv..I'm really interested in the Satellite Internet service with Starband. Could you tell me a little more about that? I'm wondering about the one-time costs for components and the ongoing costs for the service. Mind sharing how much one would have to shell out for that set up? I'm thinking there are good advantages to going this way. I thought about using my cell phone (blackberry or similar) but worry that service is spotty and unreliable in areas I may want to be in.

Also, a related subject is the solar power. I need to replace batteries..considering a two 6V set up (series) instead of two 12V (parallel) and then using solar to maintain them. Any experience you can share on this subject would be greatly appreciated. ...dan
Old 02-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Dan

http://www.internetanywhere.us/

This is thru Hughes Net. This is what I have. I am self employed and have to have a internet connection all the time (even on Vacation). Bill Adams is very knowledgeable and also a Full Timer. I have a mounted dish on top of the Monty with a auto search. Basically all I have to do is turn it on and push the search button. It does the rest. Even on travel days when we stop for lunch I will will turn on the inverter and hit the search button. By the time lunch is ready I have a connection and can check E-Mail real quick even when the Air Cards/Blackberry are out range.

We also utilize a couple of Air Cards.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Very good. I'm checking this out now. thanks, Rick.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by danandbetty

Orv..I'm really interested in the Satellite Internet service with Starband. Could you tell me a little more about that? I'm wondering about the one-time costs for components and the ongoing costs for the service. Mind sharing how much one would have to shell out for that set up? I'm thinking there are good advantages to going this way. I thought about using my cell phone (blackberry or similar) but worry that service is spotty and unreliable in areas I may want to be in.

Also, a related subject is the solar power. I need to replace batteries..considering a two 6V set up (series) instead of two 12V (parallel) and then using solar to maintain them. Any experience you can share on this subject would be greatly appreciated. ...dan
Dan, glad to help where I can. First, you have to know up front that I'm willing to spend a little more to get a little more, if you understand what I'm saying. If you'll go here, you should get most of the information you are looking for.

We spent $1700 for our satellite system which included training. You have to take a test in order to be a qualified installer in order to be able to set up your own system each time you move.

For our solar setup, We spent $7,000+ and that included two Lifeline D8 AGM 12-volt batteries> These batteries need no maintenance and have been going strong since 2003. You can get 6-volt golf cart batteries and connect two in series and in parallel with another 6-volt series setup. For us, that didn't work because we went full time right off the bat. If you're only going to use the rig for a few trips a year, don't spend the money for the AGM batteries but stick with the golf cart batteries.

The monthly fee for Starband service is $100.

When you begin digging in this you will find there are a lot of pros and cons. Hope I might have given you something for you to look at.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dan and Betty, first, congratulations on your upcoming fulltiming.

As for internet, you can ask a park whether wifi is available and whether there is a charge. We found if we find the park's website it also usually mentions it there. However, we found the quality varies. Sometimes you are too far from the nearest antenna. Or you have to take your laptop to their office or laundry or whatever. Frequently it works fine.

A couple of years or so ago we went a Verizon aircard. Actually, it has some different name these days. We went with Verizon because they seem to have the best coverage for THIS type of service, in our opinion. Anywhere we can get a verizon signal we have internet. In many parts of the country it is broadband speed. Not as fast as most cable systems but better than most DSL. That's generally speaking. Sometimes we have just ordinary speeds but still far better than dialup. We're paying 59.99 per month for the service and I'm using it as I type this. The park here has a decent wifi, for free, but I find ours just as fast and more reliable. We are using a router so both of our laptops can be online at the same time. And if you were next door we'd give you our password so you could try it for yourself! From your place.

There are solutions and I hope you find the one that's best for you. Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Dan, we use the Verizon air card with a router and have rarely been without service. The router lets you use more than one computer at a time on line. This service is $60/month. Besides the Coast to Coast, 1000 Trails, Passport America, etc most campgrounds give better rates for week or two, better for month and best for seasonal.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
This is great information, Orv. Thanks for helping me raise my knowledge level- I'll continue to research using your link. Along the way I'll be able to make informed decisions. I hate when I get impulsive and wish later that I'd spent my money differently. ...dan
Old 02-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Sounds like Verison air card is somthing I should add to my research list. Just knowing what's possible is a very good start. Thanks for the warm welcome and helpful tips.

It also sounds like it may pay to join more than one club that gives information and discounts. My list of topics to research is growing and I'd better get it done before I unplug from the stick house. ...dan
Old 02-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Dan, if you consider buying a membership with C2C, 100 Trails, etc look for a used one and you will save a bundle.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also have the Verizon air card and router Air card is the USB 727 and the router is the CP 1000 Both of these by the way are due for a upgrade, Electronics gets old quick. Here in Florida near Disney world As we type our download speed is 1.78 mbps and the upload speed is 813 kbps.. That is about average. We have only been in afew places across the country were we could not get service and usually no one else could.Jim may have been in some of those areas now??? The cost is 59.95 per month.

Go to www.3gstore.com and do some research.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
very good. That sounds less expensive than some of the really high tech options. I'll probably start with something like Verison air card and decide about satellite equipment later. Thanks...
Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have used the Verizon Air Card for five years now and love it. As for memberships, I suggest you travel at least one year before buying Thousand Trails, RPI etc. I know several that have put quite a lot of money out for these and are now unhappy because they seem to travel to places that accept these instead of places that they want to go. After a year you should know more about what you want to see and do.. I also know many that are very happy with their memberships. Each of us have different desires. I would buy the Passport America, Good Sam and Escapees if I were you. These are not a lot of money and can be used across the USA. The discounts usually pay for the membership after one or two stays.

Someone once gave us this same advice when we started full timing in our Montana five years ago and I am so glad that they did.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Dan, one thing you need to check into is using a Verizon (or any other brand) air card in Canada. It could get VERY expensive if you don't check first.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #16
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We had a Verizon air card but upgraded to a Verizon MiFi because we can both be on the internet at the same time- The cost is the same (59.99 per month) and a router is not needed- We have internet service everywhere our Verizon cellphones work- Good luck and enjoy the search- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #17
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
You all are very helpful. I looked into Verison and found that they don't provide service in Alaska where I'll be half of the year. It looks like AT&T air card is an option if they have good coverage in the S. West.

I hadn't thought about the potential consequences of using it in Canada...thanks for that thought. I bet you're right that the cost goes way up. getting across Canada is getting more challenging all the time. Passports are required these days with new homeland security laws.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Keep checking, isn't here a service plan with Verizon where you can turn the service on and off, for months on end, like when you are in Alaska.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Dan, we have been using the AT&T air card for several years and find that it works well in the western half of the U.S. and works very well in Alaska. It is not as good in the eastern U.S. While traveling in Canada most of the RV parks have WiFi available for the time you'll be going back and forth so you won't be without.

We have been fulltiming for over 10 years and have membership in Good Sam, Escapees and Passport America. You'll find that a monthly or seasonal rate will be very reasonable when you're ready to spend your winters in the southwest. I agree with Helen's statement that you travel for a year before buying any kind of campground membership; i.e., Thousand Trails, etc. They work well for some folks and not for others.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #20
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Thanks Pam...after all the comments and lots of researching the internet I've about concluded that AT&T is the best fit for our situation. It's encouraging to hear your comments that AT&T air card works well in the West and Alaska. Those are the areas we'll be spending most of our time. I'm starting to feel confident that we can get fair internet service to stay connected with family, pay bills, and plan activities where we plan to be. You all have been very helpful in getting us started....dan