Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #21
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Regardless of mileage, regeneration, and all that, I really like my F350. I like it when it pulls a grade with a load, like in the Appalachians. I like driving it. I like the smell of the leather and the sound system. I like the quiet diesel. I like it when it is shined up bumper to bumper and glistens in the sun. I just like it period. If a truck can be beautiful, this one is. Of course beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so I behold beauty. I feel as good about the truck as I do about the Montana.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 AM   #22
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Stiles, your post mirrors my feelings about my beautiful truck.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:17 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have no problem with the shinny new 08 Ford truck..It is a fine truck.I just sort of like to know how it works and why...
regeneration may be good for the enviroment but it is a bad thing for the New Diesel owner.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #24
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Makes me just want to keep driving my V-10. I can buy a little more gas for price of all the gauges !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #25
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Old school! Temp, Oil, Fuel gauges and haul! The rest will take care of itself. It is what it is! If it breaks, call a tow truck.

Semper Fi
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #26
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

For Chevy's it was half and half in 2007. Our 2007 Classic (old body style) doesn't regen. New body styles which have engine that demands ULSD regens. Ours takes both LSD and USLD.
Bingo
Nothing at all against the newer trucks, we'll all be there sometime down the road. I bought the unit I did (like Bingo) because it was the last model I could get to avoid the newer emissions systems and this whole regen issue.
After reading this thread I feel much happier about my decision...I'll be with you next time around though - and who's knows what in store for us by then.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, your regeneration you described just doesn't sound right to me, but maybe it is. I don't know how Ford has it programmed. I've never experienced the elevated rpm you mentioned. I have seen a drop in mpg followed by it climbing back up, like you described. I do not yet have an EGT gauge so can't say how mine acts. But I have never ever been able to tell it is regenerating except by the mpg change. Never. And I don't think yours should, either.

Exnavydiver and Mail2us, regeneration happens only on those diesel engines built on or after 1/1/07. Those also require the new ULSD ultra low sulfur diesel. These engines also do not blow black smoke, nor do you smell diesel fumes. Emissions is now on a par with current gasoline engines. This is accomplished partially by a diesel particulate filter (DPF) which "scrubs" harmful emissions out of the exhaust. Kind of like a catalytic converter (but different) on a gasoline automobile. All U.S. manufacturers use this same procedure. Eventually, every few hundred miles, that DPF gets filled up. It is "cleaned out", or "regenerated" by injecting some diesel fuel into the exhaust stream to increase the temperature of the exhaust so it burns the DPF clean. This is what we call "regeneration" and is why you hear about MPG dropping during a regen and EGT, exhaust gas temperature, increasing.

I hope this helps a little.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You know Rich commented one time about the smelly Diesel, mine is as sweet as a Colorado mountain meadow, maybe his is...broke. My exhaust pipe(s) is-are as clean as the day we bought it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am just kidding , sort of, about the smelly, rattling, clanking, thrashing of a diesel. The ULSD has a pleasent smell and does not bother Helen or I...The LSD still makes me sick. Remember we are using this as a daily driver right now. Drive to work is 4.2 miles one way and we never get over 35MPH.95% of of our driving is in city , low speed..not good for a diesel. One of my camping friends with a new Duramax is seeing the same kind of regen with similar driving. Steve if you had a guage and were watching the EGT you would see the increased EGT on the active regeneration as that is how the soot is burned off. My guess is that you do enough higher speed driving and keep the EGT's up enough to not have many, if any , active regen's. The Ford folks tell me that what we experienced is normal for low speed , in city, daily driving. These new Diesels do not make good daily drivers. My MPG's are going up. I am not dissatisfied at all..The trip to Fla Via I-75 will give the diesel a good test as we pulled the same route , same camper with the V-10.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #30
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Maybe I'm weird, but I like the smell of diesel, you know it smells like....diesel.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:44 AM   #31
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Gotta admit I do NOT like the smell of diesel or its exhaust. I do like the clangin' and bangin' under the hood though. Was standing next to a friends gasser Chevy the other day and thought he had it turned off, so quiet it was. Not used to that anymore.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 AM   #32
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Love the 2007 Classice chev Dually!!! Don't have to worry about the regen crap, Just hook up and go. Turbo blades don't melt, becasue Cehv (along with
Furd and Dodg use the right type alloys in the blades. If the turbo ws boing to melt, haow far do you think they would get with sales? Drive the truck the way it's supposed to be driven and no worries mate!
just my opinion...
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Take a look at this...... http://www.modsfortrucks.com/articles/egt.html I have my EGT guage set to warn me at 1250 Degrees...
Old 11-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #34
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am in agreement with TLightning. I like the smell of the old diesel. I grew up on a tractor so it is strange to hear the noise but not smell the normal diesel smell.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote