Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Sewer Solution at CW

Recently, there was a discussion about the Sewer Solution sold at Camping World. http://tinyurl.com/2ocpkv

We are in need of this contraption, but the distance to the dump is 70 feet. I remember someone had a solution to the extra length of hose needed, but can’t find it in the search function. If I remember correctly, they purchased one extra SS hose and used 1-inch PVC pipe for the extra length needed.

The hose lengths sold with the unit are 10 feet, so after purchasing an extra hose length, I would then need to connect 50 feet of PVC.

I would also like to use this method, but do not know how to connect the PVC to the hose lengths. Does the PVC get glued at the connections, or is there a screw type solution?

Any help from experienced SS users would be appreciated.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
You can find PVC to hose thread connectors at hardware store, home centers or anyplace that sells PVC pipe. The adapter will glue to the PVC and thread on to a hose . Just be sure to get the hose thread type and not pipe thread, there is a difference.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My SS has no threaded hose connections in the system. The connection to the dump tank or septic tank cap is a hose-to-pipe adapter. So you can attach a PVC-to-pipe adapter with a female pipe adapter end on it. Then you should be able to remove the septic cap and connect to the PVC.

When yo are ready to travel, simply disconnect from the PVC and put the septic cap back on, leaving the PVC for your next return. I assume the 50' of PVC is to be a permanent installation at your "home base".

On edit: you can probably buy the ss cheaper directly from PPL RV than from CW. Try this URL http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-toilets-tanks/sewer-solution.htm
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Nailbender,
Thanks for the information, I am not sure which I need, yet.

Stiles,
I’m confused. The 50 feet is not to be a permanent connection, but I do want to be able to take it apart and store. I do not plan on carrying the SS with me; it will only be used while at my brother’s house, and only when needed. (~21 days), and not left out.

So, if I read what you are saying correctly, the SS comes with pipe thread for the outflow, so female to male pipe thread on each end of the PVC will work. There’s going to be 50’, so do you know if can purchase a PVC fitting that can be taken apart and then stored in the 10’ lengths?

Do the extension hoses come with pipe thread instead of hose thread?

I also assume that since the PVC ID is 1", that I should use 1" PVC(?)

We got the dreaded burp today, and need to go to CW to purchase right away (tomorrow). We’re only about 45 minutes away.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Let's see if I can clarify the situation. on the discharge end of the hose, there is a hose-to-pipe fitting adapter with a male thread. That adapter is threaded into the discharge cap having a female thread. So you can purchase a pipe-to-PVC adapter to glue onto the end of the PVC piping you want to use for your extension. Of course you will have to remove the discharge cap first.

You will have to talk to a PVC pipe salesman to determine how you can construct a PVC pipeline that you can take apart and store. I only know how to use glued couplings.

If you want to talk on the phone, email me your phone number.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
I purchased the FloJet RV Waste Pump and 100 Feet of 3/4 rubber hose and it works great.It is also easy to store.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Robie,

I don't have one, but it seems to me that you would be better off with a macerator pump so that you don't plug up a hose or pvc pipe.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have been using Sewer Solution for 3 years and there has never been a plug up of any kind.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
I stand corrected Stiles.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I bought the Sewer Solution last month with just the basic package, not an extra 10' hose. Last week, I needed an extension to reach the sewer dump 15' feet away from the rig. I bought a 10' length of 1" PVC pipe and two non-threaded PVC connectors. I did not glue the connectors to the pipe--just relied on friction connections--and they held on tight with no leaks. Keep in mind that the Sewer Solution hose connects to the dump connection that comes in the standard package with non-glued, non-threaded friction connections which hold up fine in normal use.

If you are going to have to use several 10' sections of PVC pipe to reach your dump point, I'm not sure I see any benefit in buying a 10' section of flexible hose from Sewer Solution, which is much more expensive than a 10' section of PVC pipe.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
This forum is the best!

I purchased the Sewer Solution and was able to connect 60 feet of schedule 40 PVC pipe and one extra 10-foot hose extension to reach the dump. Nothing was glued....Worked perfect!

The extra 10-foot extension was used on the last PVC pipe so hitting the hole was a lot easier than trying to get the length just right.

We will be moving from here (Santa Rosa, CA) in a couple of days and will leave the 60 feet of PVC. I attached the extra 10-foot extension to the existing SS hose so that I now have 20 feet of hose. This hose will stay on permanently so there is no need to worry about the distance to the dump.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

BTW, DonandAnnie, the water jet on this unit works great, you have to see it to understand, but there is no way that any TP or solid materials could get passed the water jet without being blasted to easily flow through the hose....This is a real nice product!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #12
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Quote:
quote:simonsrf Posted - Jun 20 2007 : 10:49:01 AM

...BTW, DonandAnnie, the water jet on this unit works great, you have to see it to understand, but there is no way that any TP or solid materials could get passed the water jet without being blasted to easily flow through the hose....This is a real nice product!
Thanks for the info Robie. The picture didn't do it justice. I'll have to look into it some time.

Enjoy your travels and be safe.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
DONnAnnie,

The water jet that is installed in the face plate, rotates 90 degrees within that plate. It can be turned toward the outflow which blasts anything that is solid. Then the water jet can be turned 90 degrees to clean out the pipes....this contraption is real nice.

The only problem I have with it is that you have to have water for it to work...so, I still carry a 10 foot section of the old 3" pipe...for those times when I have to dump at a station where the hose connection is missing.