Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
emurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #6507
Wheel locking chocks

Does anyone have any experience with the type of chocks that are placed between the wheels and expand to lock the wheels in place? I talked to my dealer about them and they said that they provide a lot of stability....Of course he sells them...

emurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We use them and feel that they add some stability when we're parked. We bought them at Camping World.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have them and love them. The only problem I have found with them is I usually put them in place as soon as I park the coach. The tires are hot and have expanded, once the tires cool I usually have to go back and tighten them again. After the 2nd adjustment, they stay tight and help assist in keeping the movement down in the coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes...... a good thing to have..they help...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I would agree with both Judy and Dave. (EDIT)And Rich!(EDIT) They work great. Like Dave stated though, after a long trip the tires are expanded and need to be re-tightened after initial set up.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
ED - You can make them, I forget right now where I got the little plan, but let me explain. You get a few feet of 4 X 4 Landscape timer. cut two pieces about 7 inches long. bevel both ends to match the contour of your wheels. #2 Now drill a 3/4 hole through the middle of both blocks. #3 but a 3 foot length of 3/4 all thread at any hardward store cut this in half. #4 pass one piece of all 3/4 all thread through the first block secure with a lock nut and washer on each side of the block. #5 pass the last black through the 3/4 all thread and place a washer and nut on the outside. There you have it. Cost about $4.50 per side. place the blocks between the two wheels and screw the nut down on the top block. A HURRICANE won't move you... MountainSky said it right, after initial screw down - go back a little later, when tire's have cooled and tighten down again. I have made myself a set and several sets for Christmas presents to nearby neighbors. I know there is someone who has the simple plans for these. It took me about a half hour to make both of them and paint them after I got the parts... Hope my discription didn't make it sound like a tuff thing to make. It's simple and much stronger that those $40 Camper World clamps
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We use them and wouldn't be without a set. It works just like they say. We bought ours at C/W also. They are on sale now.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I`ve been threw a number of the locking chocks.The best ones are ones called "Rotochuks"Really well made.For me they just seem a cut above the rest being sold.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We have used the home-made ones and the camping world models, which we have now. I think they both help somewhat in reducing movement, but I'm still not convinced they are worth the trouble.
Do not rely on them as a substitute for wheel chocks. Several times we have forgotten to remove them when we hooked up. They simply popped out when we drove off.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Right now CW has a sale on the deluxe locking type chocks.

Deluxe Wheel Chock
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...000/11109.jpg?

I wouldn't be without mine as they are a very integral part of my stabilizing system.

I've had the ones with the lever locking device but the deluxe are, in my mind, far superior.
The RotoChocks work fine but a bit more pricey and take up more storage space.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:29 AM   #11
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
They are great. We us the deluxe version from camping world.. good product.
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:45 AM   #12
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have used them for several years, much better than the old style wheel chocks, easier to apply.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:49 AM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I thought I remember reading an old post stating that the between the wheel chocks can spread the axles causing the trailer to skew going down the road. I can't find it now. Does anybody remember this? If this is true, wouldn't it take some tremendous excessive force to move an axle?
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:56 AM   #14
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We use them when we are going to stay put for several days. Do be aware you should not OVER tighten as it can cause tire damage and affect your alignment. We do think they help in stabilizing the motion in the coach. Also the kingpin tripod is a big help in keeping the motion to a minimum.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:45 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Roto-Chocks, the Rolls Royce of wheel chocks.
And, like Orv said, so easy a cave man could do it.
I place the Roto-Chock on my side when setting up, Sue places the set on the opposing side.
Well built, nice looking and easy to use. Oh, and so are the Roto-Chocks.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:06 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I had the expandable lever type and threw them away. After a $350 alignment and spring hanger straightening, I didn't want anything spreading my axles.

Also believe they gave me a false sense of security as I could typicall remove them without releasing them. I believe it was posted here that the tire cooling will change the adjustment. There are better ones out there like Glenn and Ozz have indicated.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:50 AM   #17
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
It all depends on your motion tolerance. If a little wiggle in the trailer bothers you than you need all the help you can get. It doesn't bother us so I just use standard wheel chocks for safety.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:01 AM   #18
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
We also use the deluxe BAL chocks. I like them. Found that they do reduce motion when parked. I used the tripod and didn't notice much reduction in motion. We still use wheel chocks, I doubt that the manufacturer of the 'between the wheel' chocks intended for them to be wheel chocks alone.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:56 AM   #19
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I had the rotochocks and used them before I put on the JTRV.com stabilizers. Then I used the rotochocks, at times, with the stabilizers. Then I was just carrying them around. Found the stabilizers work for us. So, I left them at a CG for someone who didn't have stabilizers and am no longer carrying around dead weight.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:06 AM   #20
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Yes if you OVERTIGHTEN the chocks you could possibly do damage. They work like a scissors jack and they do have enough strength that if OVERTIGHTENed you could cause a problem. The KEY word here is "OVERTIGHTEN". It's no different than your rear stabilizers. Tighten them too much and you will also have problems. I tighten both the chocks and stabilizers just a touch above snug. I also use the standard chocks but only for initial set-up. Once I have the TV unhitched and just before putting the slides out I install the Deluxe Chocks. I one each side with the same amount of tightening on each chock.
Without the Front Jacks, Rear Stabilizers, Adjustable Chocks, Bipod for the Pin and a pair of Jacks you will not get rid of the movement.

BTW-I was using a Tripod but discovered the Bi-pod worked just as well with less weight to be carried around.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote