Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Our train ride on old Santa Fe rails

Santa Fe, New Mexico train ride
Sue and I got tickets to the Santa Fe railroad for a two and a half hour ride.
We have felt like two high school kids playing hooky from school all day.
We went to the train station early to park the truck, then walked to old town, to shop and eat a bite. We saw this quaint little eatery on a corner, and went in. The small restaurant had a Chef behind the upscale buffet style counter, he pointed out the different dishes, there were stuffed artichokes, Salmon, Almond Chicken, grilled peppers and some wonderful creamy tomato and shrimp soup. They sold by the pound, it was $9.95 per pound of food. We were loading all the wonderful food up, piled high. I paid for the two plates and found my bill was $44.50. I asked the owner, is that really $44.50? He stated my plate was pretty heavy. (You’re not in Kansas anymore, Toto!)
We paid, and feasted on possibly the best buffet style food ever. I was prompted by the wonderful fare, to go back inside and compliment the Chef and the owner, I told them it was money well spent. The owner asked if I ate it all, I sheepishly said yes. (Us K.C. BBQ eaters know how to put it away.)
We shopped around the area for an hour or so, and then walked to the train station. There was a good crowd of mixed people, ladies with children, singles, and older couples. All were eager to experience the train ride.
We met two fun young ladies form Albuquerque, one was treating the other birthday girl to the train ride, they were there to have fun! We took their pictures for them together, and befriended them for the ride. It was laughter and fun times for the trip ahead, we could see.
The conductor (Nick) took our tickets at the appointed time and we all boarded. The train had the Engine, then a passenger car, then a flat car with a sturdy steel railing, then another passenger car, and the caboose. When the train started up, Sue and I immediately went to the flat car to see the sights, I am anything but timid. Everyone came out also. The train ride employees must pay the people of Santa Fe to wave and smile at the train, everyone from the construction men along side the tracks, to the people in cars waiting at the crossings ,were waving at us, waving at them, like crazy people.
There was a young mother with her two small children out on the flat car. She was sitting holding a young boy, fast asleep, her arms must have been aching, her daughter was laying on a blanket sleeping near her, comforted by the rocking back and forth of the train. She was such a good mother, she sat for the longest time with her son in her arms. I went and got her two bottles of water, as the Sun was intense. The birthday girls were taking pictures, drinking Margaritas and laughing at everything. I talked with a young couple from Wisconsin, she worked as a server in an eatery, her husband a mechanic at a car dealer, great people having a great time away on vacation. The train wound through town, then went into the countryside, past nice rural homes, all Adobe, same general Tan color, blending perfectly with the surrounding terrain. Men and Women jogging on remote trails paralleling the tracks. You wonder how they got the energy to travel out in the middle of nowhere.
Sue and I stood on the rail car for the entire 2 ½ hours, you couldn’t have got us off there with a stick of dynamite. The bar in the first passenger car, got a pretty good work out I must admit. It’s amazing the bond people develop when having a great time, and having something in common on this rail trip, much like the bond we develop as RV’ers. We can look back on this day and remember so many fun times, it’s why we all travel.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ainride002.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ainride007.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ainride011.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ainride012.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ainride023.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ainride019.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ainride024.jpg

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Neat story Ozz, and great pix. Looks like you guys are having a really good time. The people along the way waving? Thats just good old NM hospitality. While you are in Albuquerque check out the Tramway, it's as good as the train ride if you like heights. Hope you guys continue to enjoy your stay in our state.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sounds like a lot of fun. We will have to check that out when we go to Santa Fe. Keep the stories and pictures coming, we are enjoying them.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Oz, I hope you are keeping a journal of all your adventures. (You should be working for one of the travel magazines!) You certainly have a way with words. You painted a wonderful picture of your most recent excursion. It sounds absolutely wonderful and while we can't travel now we get a little piece of that heaven you are enjoying through your words. Hope you don't mind our living vicariously through your travels.

I sure picked up the kindness in your heart and it would be our honor to meet you and your lovely wife some day!
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:41 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Ozz, you have said you like to write and you certainly have the talent for it. Thanks for the train ride and keep the good times rolling. I too love watching and visiting with people on the road and many years later, it won't be the scenery you remember, but the people you shared some time with will flash back in your mind and bring a smile to your lips and a song to your heart.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:49 AM   #6
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
I really enjoyed reading about your trip, Oz! It makes me want to go there right now! Very descriptive! Marilyn
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:58 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz and Sue,

Looks like a blast and we're glad your enjoying vacation. Did you ask the conductor if his Biodiesel mixture was less than 5% to stay within his warranty .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good one, Brad. it really did smell like cooking food...They say it smells like french fries at times.
It was certainly better smelling than Diesel!
Oh, I forgot to mention the train cars were 1920 vintage, there were signs demanding 'No spitting', Nick said that that was because of the TB outbreak at that time. It was neat, thinking how many people rode that car, and the stories it could tell of it's past. I'm glad that is one thing that is not a throw-away product.
Sue got a spot at the KOA in Albuquerque for three days, we will be leaving here tomorrow with mixed feelings, we so love it here, but are excited about the adventure around the corner.
I went into town and gave the Ford a bath, the water evaporates so fast, and the Sun is so hot! Man, I love it here!
Take care, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote