Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
What size Ford truck will tow the 3295RK?

My husband is a Ford man (but not fond of diesels) and we would like to know what size Ford we would need to safely tow the Montana 3295RK. We haven't purchased the RV yet nor will we for probably a year at least. We know we will need to upgrade our tow vehicle and want to make sure we go big enough when we do (but not necessarily purchase more than we need) to do so safely and properly.

Thanks so much.

Sandi

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I owned diesels for 11 years but in 05 I ordered the V10. We love it. The V10 is the only gas engine you can get in a Ford pickup that will give you the same tow ratings as a diesel.

It is harder on fuel than a diesel but it is 5000 bucks cheaper and right now gas is the cheaper fuel. Go check out the FTE ( Ford Truck Enthusiasts ) website and you will find a bunch of V10 lovers down in the V10 section. It is a very reliable engine and a real sweetheart to own. The truck in my signature is a very capable model.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Out on the the West Coast we have a lot of Mountains, Cascades, Coastal, Rockies, Siskyous, Sierra Nevada's,...Etc..Etc..

You get the picture. I wouldn't want to pull our Monty with any less then a F350HD. I like the diesel for power, but if you can afford the cost of the fuel I'm sure the V10 is just about as adequate. The F350HD is just a little more heavy duty then the F250HD. with a hitch weight of over 2300lbs I feel better about the F350. Specially up and down all the mountains we have. Other parts of North America are a lot flatter and in most cases I'm sure the F250HD does just fine.
As Glenn would say " that's just my 2 cents worth".

J&D

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/global/stations/71892.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Vancouver, British Columbia Forecast" height=60 width=468[/img]

[IMG]John & Dawn

Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
2006 2980RL &
2005 F350 Lariet, Crewcab
Shortbox Powerstroke 4X4
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The Super Duty F250/F350 with V10 gas or diesel is pretty much the minimum. The F150 is too lightweight, and the 5.4L gas in the Super Duty is a little light on the tow capacity compared to what you need.

Beyond that, (crew cab vs extended cab vs regular cab), (short box vs long box), (diesel vs gas), (250 vs 350), (single rear wheel vs dually), (4X2 vs 4X4),...you'll pretty much see all of them in this forum towing the full range of Montana's, and each do fine. The rest is personal preference.

(2006 Ford Brochure) F250 and F350 are identical in design and features, with the exception of the payload and axle rating (6,200 lbs F250, 7,280 lbs F350, and 9,000 lbs F350 dually). 5th wheel towing capacities for the single rear wheel F250 and F350 are identical. Variations in tow capacity for each truck are based on cab type, 4X4 options, engine, and axle ratio. Payload, which is impacted by your pin weight on the hitch, is a little better on the F350, with less squat when loaded.

Happy hunting. Good to see another Ford man, but those GMCs and Dodges are also great tow motors as you'll see in the forum.

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/CO/Littleton.gif"border=0
alt="ClickforLittleton,Colorado Forecast"height=100width=150[/img]

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
We live in mid Michigan and are pretty much flat-lander and won't be doing any long trips, at least the first few years, maybe a couple weeks here and there and then probably Florida or Arizona once we get the new tow vehicle. My husband was hoping he could get a F250 with the tow pkg. of course. Is there anything else extra that he should consider if he goes this route?
Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
I guess I should have added he would prefer the 4x2, crew cab (that is the larger cab, correct?), long box, single rear wheel, gas. He would be using the truck for daily driving to work as well.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
F-350HD SRW long-bed should be great. Make sure you get he Tow Command system. The diifference in price between the F-250 and F-350 is very small, but you'll be within payload specs with the F-350.

If you don't want the diesel, I concur the V10 is the only way to go. Any smaller engine will marginalize your driving eperience!

... Semper Paratus ....
Matt, Amy, & Chocolate Labs Sasha & Webby
- 2004 3255RL Montana, 2005 F-350 CC 4X4 PSD
- Advance truck bed folding cover
Washington state.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sandi,
As Matt stated, the Ford TowCommand System is a must. It requires the automatic transmission, but gives you an integrated brake controller for the Montana that interacts with your trasmission, and extendable mirrors.

Beyond that, the only thing you might consider with an F250 is the Stabilizer Package that gives you heavy front springs and rear stabilizer bar.

The rest is absolutely personal preference. Michigan to Arizona doesn't sound too much like a here and there!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Thanks so much for this very important info. I will print it out and save it for husband (he doesn't do the computer)

Once we do get our appropriate TV, we will only have a month each year to travel unless husband finds work elsewhere so we won't be doing too much in distance traveling for some time I don't think. It IS my desire to go south for winter but unless husband changes jobs I don't see that happening anytime soon. One never knows though, once we decide to sell the house, it gets sold, and buy the RV, our goal is to become debt-free shortly thereafter, and we may be more open/adventurous to pulling up roots at some point and being able to go south in the winter like we dream about.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sounds like you have a plan - There is a whole section in the Forum on full timers (RV is home) if you want to take a peek and see what they have enjoyed or experienced.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have the F250 diesel and used to have an F350 V10. Both did an excellent job of towing this 14,360 lb monster over all kinds of mountains including the Rockies in Colorado on I-70. The diesel is stronger but the V10 is plenty good.

One thing to keep in mind when people start telling you you have to have an F350, this F250 has more ratings than most of their one ton trucks. The 2005 and later Fords are much stronger than prior years. Check the numbers. No longer can we automatically say one ton is better than 3/4 ton unless you're comparing a single brand and model year.

By all means, get that brake controller in the Tow Command package. Also the towing mirrors. They may be part of that same package, I'm not sure. That brake controller is the smoothest and best I've ever used, bar none. And, it applies ABS to the trailer brakes, too. Absolutely awesome controller.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #12
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
We previously had a lighter weight 5ver that we towed with a 1995 GMC big block gas engine (454). Performance was just about maxed out and we frequently had to turn off the air conditioning when towing in the summer (even on flatland). Now we have the 3295RK and I can't imagine the gas engine coming anywhere near being able to efficiently pull it. We went with the diesel (our first) in '03 and it made a tremendous difference. Even now with the larger Montana it is just a smooth & seeming effortless pulling machine.

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
'06 3295RK
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, supersprings,starboard running boards LineX
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:20 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the 05 F-350 V-10,CC.Lb Dually..We only use it for towing the 3400.It is a V-10 but we would have preferred a diesel for all around towing especially if we were doing a lot of mountain towing or doing a lot of miles. There were other reasons for not going diesel, New EPA standards, New motors, New fuel, Etc.As our travel increases we still hope to go diesel. The V-10 will do the job in pulling any Montana..The MPG will not be as good as the Diesel but mpg will drop on the new diesel motors and diesel fuel. Just in my opinion if this truck was my daily driver it would be a diesel no matter what. The MPG on my V-10 not towing is 12.5 to 13.5 MPG the diesel will do much better..Being completely objective the diesel is a all around better motor(i drive one every day, school bus) My criteria for diesel no diesel was..will I keep the truck 5 years or more, will I do 25/30K miles or more a year..will I tow a heavy camper in the mountains on a regular basis..if yes ..diesel.. Buy the Gas or Diesel because it will meet your towing and driving needs..not because you don't like it.. Ex..The diesel stinks and is noisy I do not care for them nor does the wife..but..we will buy one if we need one..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:35 AM   #14
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
At this point, it appears, once we got the appropriate TV, we would only be towing the RV perhaps 4,000 miles a year at most(guesstimating and assuming nothing changes in our current work situation). I doubt husband would keep the truck for more than five years. Also, as I mentioned, the truck would be used as my husband's daily transportation and he drives approximately 60 miles a day to work RT. Taking all this into consideration, would any of your recommendations change?

TIA.

Sandi
Old 08-24-2006, 03:26 AM   #15
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I love my V10 for towing but I sure would not want to do a 60 mile commute with this engine.

I get about the same mileage as Rich above and at 1.16 per litre (4.40 per US gal ) a commute like that would cost me 22 bucks a day. We have an 02 Honda Accord I drive to work with.

My V10 is strictly a tow toy and would be a very expensive daily driver but then even a big pickup with a diesel is still an expensive daily driver. Better than the V10 but still big $$$$$

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:48 AM   #16
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
I hear ya with the gas prices. Husband only gets about 15 mpg with his new 150 as it is! It is not cheap for driving back and forth to work. I only get about 20 mpg with my car and I drive about 50 miles a day.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:42 AM   #17
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The gas vs diesel has been pretty well covered. I have a diesel on order, due any day...that's what they have been saying for three weeks. Anyway, your big decision is 3/4 vs 1 ton. The V10 or the diesel will pull any Montana fine. The problem with Montanas is pin weight. Your 3295RK shows a brochure pin weight of 2485 (unloaded). That weight, when combined with passengers, weight of the hitch, fuel, cargo, etc will exceed the cargo capacity of virtually all 3/4 ton trucks. When the cargo capacity is exceeded, the GVWR is exceeded. Having said that, lots of good folks tow with 3/4s, and choose to ignore the weight situation...that's up to you.

When searching for a new truck...DO NOT listen to the salesmen, they are very uneducated when it comes to a subject upon which they should be experts. Here's how to find the cargo capacity for a particular truck: Check the sticker on the left rear door or pillar of the drivers side of the truck. The sticker, entitled "Tire and Loading Information," will have a section that says, "The combined weight of cargo and occupants should never exceed ____ pounds." That's all you can carry and stay within GVWR.

I did an extensive study on this subject before ordering my truck, PM me if you'd like more exact numbers or specifics...and my on order truck...2007 Silverado, diesel, DRW, CC.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We used to tow this Montana with the V10. It did a good job, including over Vail Pass in Colorado on I-70 to something over 11,000 feet. Average mileage towing was 8.2. Solo was close to what Rich reports but mine was a bit less. 11 in town and 12 to 13 on the highway. The engine did a fine job of towing, however.

We tow with an F250 that has higher ratings, including GVWR, than most of the one tons single rear wheel trucks on the road. The F350 has a higher payload. My research disclosed they have the same axle, bearings, brakes, etc. The difference is the F350 has an overload leaf on the rear springs and a rear stabilizer bar. Both of those are available on the F250 as part of the Camper Package, the one intended for slidein campers. Ours doesn't have that package so since the only difference is in the suspension I added the Firestone airbags to provide the additional lift. So far, 63k miles, it's been fine. It is over GVWR but within tow ratings and GCWR. The airbags make a big difference in making it ride level.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #19
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
I may be late to the party here, BUT, I see no mention of the 2007 Diesel fuel issues in this thread. You can only use 50 PPM Sulphur fuel in 2007 year diesels and most stations are equipped with 500 PPM fuels. I do not know if fuel availability will be an issue, but I see warning signs on all the pumps around here. This issue will probably hurt diesel sales in 2007 model year and may drive prices for vehicles down. The fuel will cost more and that may alter your calculations.

For a 60 mile /day round trip to work, I suggest getting a "beater" I had a 1994 Buick Park Avenue with 135 K miles on it and used it for work - got up to 30 MPG on the freeway with ol' Bob and hated to see it go. It saved the TV for camping!

John & Betsy Boltik
2003 Ram Quad Cab-'jus barkin'
2003 3295 RK
maggie and penny
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #20
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Actually, ya know, husband finally brought up the subject of buying an older, good gas mileage car for driving aback and forth to work. I suggested that years ago but, no offense guys, you know men and their trucks. With the price of gas the way it is, and I am quite certain it is not going to get better, I think it makes only common sense to be driving daily in something more fuel efficient. Even I wish I would have purchased a small, economy car, perhaps even a hybrid, when I made my last purchase. I know that will be tops on my list when/if I buy another new car especially when I usually am the only one in the car! My car is dual fuel but they don't have the alternative fuel available around us as we do not live in/near a major city.

Sandi & John & 3 Shih Tzu from Michigan (2 adult sons, 1 DIL)
Considering selling stick house, purchasing a Montana, living in it full-time locally so we can continue to live near my elderly father. Continuing to work full-time. Dreaming of the day we can head south for winter!