Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Duramax fuel filter

Just read an article released from GM about the new fuel filter requirements for the Duramax. I am sure than many of you already got the recall notice on the fuel filter. GM has changed the replacement mileage interval, they now claim 10,000-15,000 miles. You do not want to run 18,000 as the previous filter claims. This new fuel filter from GM is supposed to trap more particles in the fuel and protects the injectors much better. GM claims the previous filter is the leading cause of the injector failure. Just thought I would pass this info along.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
About a year ago we were camped in our Montana out at Tyler State Park. We drove our Chevrolet Duramax into town for a visit with friends. In the early evening when we started to leave, the pickup would NOT start. Battery was strong, but engine did not even pretend to fire up.

Long story much shorter: called AAA, hours later they were still not there, at 10:00 pm I tried once more -- STARTED! Next day started and pulled RV down to Austin, Texas. No problem. Monday morning tried to start to go to University == NO START. ... (no need for detail, finally started) Called my dealer and stopped by on way home. His report: you need to change your fuel filter. Did so, and then...

Just at the right time I got that recall notice with the offer to replace the fuel filter to the new model, ONE TIME without cost. All has been well since.

My experience says this is important.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:31 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have already received the notice. As I just changed the filter I will wait until we get home from Tx. to use the free install.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:32 AM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I have an 05 GMC but have not receive a recall letter, would this recall cover my truck?

I'm now in the process of installing a prefilter to the truck because of what you have stated about the injectors problems. The parts are in the mail has I speak, will have in on next warm spell.

Montana Sky did the letter state certain years for the trucks in the recall? Thanks
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I did not pay close attention to the recall specifics other than it was for the fuel filter. I had mine done back in October before I went to Tennessee. The biggest thing GM pointed out with the new filter is the mileage interval for replacing it. I am going to put mine on the 10,000 mile replacement plan, GM stats 10-15,000 miles on the updated filter.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have the '06 Duramax. The DIC has a display of fuel filter life just like the engine oil life. I only have 1400 miles on it but looks like zero life is around 15000 miles.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
You are killing me!!! More great info on the DIC then what was already there. I am trying so hard not to trade in for the new LBZ Duramax. Every time I read another post from you about your 06 Duramax it gets me thinking again about buying a new truck. Oh how I must not give in to peer pressure. =)
Old 02-24-2006, 03:07 AM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Sky,
Don't go too fast. They took a whole bunch of stuff off the DIC. The new trip odometers are just "a" and "b". They no longer allow you to gater miles in segments nore do they allow seperate mileage checks. I used to use the "business" and " pleasure" odometers to segment towing and non towing mileage and performance.

Also, the driver I and 2 passenger seat settings are no longer in the DIC. I have mixed emotions about this as I used to get crushed against the steering wheel when I turned on the ignition if Vikki had used her key fob to unlock.

We just got back from Mexico so I have to report on the trip and impressions of the new truck. Maybe later today.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
I do look forward to your report on the trip. Glad to hear that they have made some changes, which are not for the better. =) Between that and my accountant who contiues to remind me that if I ever want to "fulltime" by the time I am 55, I need to drive my current truck for another 4-5 yrs at least. Something to look forward to I guess.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #10
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Montana Sky I have found out that the recall is for the 2001-2004 year models which leaves me out. I'll have to change my own out. I'll do that anyway when I add the pre-filter to the truck.

I did have the computer reflashed with the newest update (2-23) and with the reflash on the DIC now shows the filter change life %. Maybe you would be able to get this with a reflash? See-YA
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Illini Trekker,
Thanks for the tip on the reflash update. I will be in touch with my dealership on Monday to see if I could get this as well. Thanks again, Dave
Old 02-25-2006, 02:35 AM   #12
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Let us all know if they reflash your 2004 for the fuel filter life.

Happy Camping
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote