Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2005, 05:55 AM   #1
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Send a message via AIM to Chad Brooks
Wiring to use generator in bed of truck

I started researching this last year and just gave up. It seems my dealer, as well as others, is not much help indetermining what it will take to do what I want. Here is the scenerio:
I want to put 2 Honda Eu2000's in the bed of my truck (or maybe something a little bigger) and I want to be able to run them there. My question is, what will this take? From what I have gathered it will take a transfer switch and a powercable? I am really unsure exactly what needs to be done to do this, and the costs involved in doing so. I want to do it like this for several reasons #1, I don't like sleeping on top of a running engine #2, I can use the generators for other purposes, #3 I can gas them up easier and not have to worry about spillage #4 I can leave them at home the times they will not be needed on a trip and #4 I want them operable in the bed so I can fire them up and run my a/c while going down the road. I like it cool when I get where I am going.

Opinions?? Ideas?? Instructions??

I want to have this implemented by early summer of next year when I take my extended Yellowstone, grand canyon trip. To be able to stop and get in the RV without unloading and loading generators and cords will be great!!

thanks in advance

Chad Brooks

Chad Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:32 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Don't see why you couldn't do it. As long as the generator has a 50AMP to plug into you should be able to use your shoreline from the trailer.

But running down the interstate with the shoreline connected is going to be a different story.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:42 AM   #3
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chad Brooks

Opinions?? Ideas?? Instructions??
Another option might be an onan mirco-quiet 4000 with an under mount kit. You can tie the gas to your truck tank and exhaust to the truck exhaust. Means you lose the space for your spare tire... just a thought.
http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...CID=301&SID=28
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:36 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Take a look at Camping World Item #26906 Parallel Power Kit for Honda EU2000. I think that is all you would need.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #5
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
You could mount a second twist-lock connector to the front of the Montana, run cable from that to the Inverter.

Mount another 50AMP receptical in the bed of the truck.

For saftey you could mount a switch to select which connector your using but i don't see the need.

I have also seen truck tool boxes that are made for mounting a genny in that lock, muffle the noise.

The dealer shy'd away since if he created he would have to support you on it if there were problems. So many people/businesses have been sued that most shy away from being creative, to me that's why we have forums!!
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
OntMont is correct CW has an adapter made by Honda can also get them at Northern Tool for a set of parrell leads. this adapter has a 30 amp plug on end just add a dog bone plug to that and run you power cord from there. to really make it a neat job do as drifus said and mount a another plug up front close to front storage area, run power cord through coach to the converter and tap into that. this way you can use plug from either end, really not big of a deal to do what you want to do.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Thanks for the replies. I am really not sure what I want to do. I tossed the idea around for about a year when I had my Holiday Rambler and never did anything. I am just not sure I want a built in generator, hence the idea to do a bed mounted setup. I have until next summer to get it all sorted out so I have some time. I just want to weigh the good and the bad with the setup like I plan to run vs a built in. One thing that worries me, is the ability of the two small Honda's being able to run my A/C consistantly. I have read that it will, but I want to be 110% sure. Do any of you have any experience with the Honda EV6010? If I decide to go with more generator than the two EU2000's, a built in will be the best choice it appears. I couldn't imagine loading and unloadind a 200-300lb generator out of the bed of the truck Then again, I don't know how well I would sleep with a combustion engine running below me. All I would think about is fires and C02 fumes. Not to mention the smell I will have once I spill some gas
Old 10-18-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Well, as long as you don't expect a full 50 amps, the two Honda EU 2000's should work just fine, but if you want A/C + Mirowave + water heater + etc. then you would be short of power. We boodock quite comfortably with a Generac 4000XL in the back of the truck. Gypsy has some sort of Yamaha(?) in the back of hers. (Where are you Gypsy?). Personally, I think the two 2000EU's would be a very nice set-up. If you go bigger, you are going to get quite a bit heavier. (I guess it goes without saying, but make sure that they are fastened down really well so that can't walk away, either on their own, of with some human assistance).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:53 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Chad, you also have to watch additional wt you are adding to that F250. How much does that 6010 weigh?

Also, I have a question also... which is better/quieter/less exp to run between gasoline vs LPG gens of same watts? Seems LPGs cost more?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Why not go with propane? No fumes, no spills, quiet. We have the Onan 4500 and can hardly hear it when we are starting it up from inside the bedroom. Best thing we ever did. We have had all the others and they don't even compare to the Onan. Paul
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Kathi, could you give an approx fuel usage on you 4500? Probably a "half load" approx figure?
Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:04 AM   #12
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
They also make tool boxes with bulit in gen sets in them for just this reason. You can see them in Tralier Life magazine back in the ad section. I think tool boxs inc makes them not sure.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:32 AM   #13
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I'm here, OntMont. I have the Yamaha 3000iseb which sits in my truck bed. I connect it with a 30A cable to a 50A-to-30A converter cable plugged into the coach. I only do this while parked. I never thought about running the ac while rolling down the road. It never seems to get so hot inside that I can't cool it off pretty fast by running the ac on high blowing straight down on my head. And it doesn't get too hot for my cats who ride in the 5th wheel. I would be nervous about running the generator while on the road, and it would also burn up lots of gasoline.

One thing I do want to investigate is how to modify the Yamaha to add a remote starter. It's now an option when you buy a new one, but it wasn't a year ago when I bought mines. I know it will have to have an automatic choke added, but not sure what else I'll have to do.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:30 AM   #14
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Well, I have done some more research, and I think I am leaning more towards the Honda EV6010 and have it built in the coach. This will allow me to boondock without worries of someone taking my generator and without having to load and unload anything. The main boon docking I am talking about it Wal-Mart stops and roadside lunches. The EV6010 weighs ~200lbs and it will require me to install a seperate fuel cell.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:19 AM   #15
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Over the years I have used most of the options discussed so far. From factory coach installed to bed of the truck systems. Have not had the Honda 2000 setup yet, although it does have some potential that appears to have some merit.

The factory installed system seemed to be the least troublesome. I installed a Generac in my previous 5er and it was a fairly straight forward installation. The wiring was the least of the problem issues. The most difficult was the mounting of the generator itself and the handling of the exhaust and fuel systems. Generators need lots of circulating air for proper cooling. Most modern gen sets have overheat protection built in and shut down when the engine gets too hot. Modification of the compartment doors and floors for proper cooling is very important. Vibration and noise isolators are critical to reducing noise levels. However the most difficult issue is a fuel source. I went with gasoline as it was the cheapest Generator. Mistake! Finding an approved fuel tank, dealing with fill spout issues, ventilation and etc was very challenging. I ended up with a marine fuel tank and wired in a fuel gauge which used 12 volts. I had to set up a switch in the circuit to prevent the draw on the battery unless reading the gauge. The location of the tank ended up taking up valuable storage space. Even though the Gen had an electric fuel pump, a check valve was needed to prevent the fuel drain back into the tank (which was below the pump) when shut down.

I would suggest the propane generator would be much easier to install and setup. I was never comfortable with the gasoline fuel tank in the forward storage right under the bed. The noise was never an issue although adequate cooling did present a problem.

I have used a Honda 4500 generator in the back of the pickup and it worked but had some draw backs. First the pickup has to be within reach of the power cord even with an appropriate extension. Second the noise of the generator seemed to echo in the bed of the pickup. And of course unless you have a remote start you need to access the panel on the gen to start and stop it.

I have been around other RV's that have the Honda 2000 systems and they seem to be very promising. With one gen running it is extremely quiet. The gen setting on the ground tends to isolate most of the noise and the mufflers are very efficient. The size and weight of the Gen makes storage and handling reasonable. The ability to add a second gen when needed to run the AC is also a plus.

So I am weighing the options of installing a propane gen set in the Montana or getting the 2 Honda's. In the mean time I will use my Honda 4500 in the bed of the truck.

As to my leaning? Probably the two Honda's make the most sense and are the least expensive even after adding the remote start options etc. But I am not in a big hurry to make that decision right now. Will be reading and learning from others experiences.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #16
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drhowell

Over the years I have used most of the options discussed so far. From factory coach installed to bed of the truck systems. Have not had the Honda 2000 setup yet, although it does have some potential that appears to have some merit.

The factory installed system seemed to be the least troublesome. I installed a Generac in my previous 5er and it was a fairly straight forward installation. The wiring was the least of the problem issues. The most difficult was the mounting of the generator itself and the handling of the exhaust and fuel systems. Generators need lots of circulating air for proper cooling. Most modern gen sets have overheat protection built in and shut down when the engine gets too hot. Modification of the compartment doors and floors for proper cooling is very important. Vibration and noise isolators are critical to reducing noise levels. However the most difficult issue is a fuel source. I went with gasoline as it was the cheapest Generator. Mistake! Finding an approved fuel tank, dealing with fill spout issues, ventilation and etc was very challenging. I ended up with a marine fuel tank and wired in a fuel gauge which used 12 volts. I had to set up a switch in the circuit to prevent the draw on the battery unless reading the gauge. The location of the tank ended up taking up valuable storage space. Even though the Gen had an electric fuel pump, a check valve was needed to prevent the fuel drain back into the tank (which was below the pump) when shut down.

I would suggest the propane generator would be much easier to install and setup. I was never comfortable with the gasoline fuel tank in the forward storage right under the bed. The noise was never an issue although adequate cooling did present a problem.

I have used a Honda 4500 generator in the back of the pickup and it worked but had some draw backs. First the pickup has to be within reach of the power cord even with an appropriate extension. Second the noise of the generator seemed to echo in the bed of the pickup. And of course unless you have a remote start you need to access the panel on the gen to start and stop it.

I have been around other RV's that have the Honda 2000 systems and they seem to be very promising. With one gen running it is extremely quiet. The gen setting on the ground tends to isolate most of the noise and the mufflers are very efficient. The size and weight of the Gen makes storage and handling reasonable. The ability to add a second gen when needed to run the AC is also a plus.

So I am weighing the options of installing a propane gen set in the Montana or getting the 2 Honda's. In the mean time I will use my Honda 4500 in the bed of the truck.

As to my leaning? Probably the two Honda's make the most sense and are the least expensive even after adding the remote start options etc. But I am not in a big hurry to make that decision right now. Will be reading and learning from others experiences.
Very informative! Thanks

The 2 Honda Eu2000's do seem to be the simplest answer. I am just not sure if 4000 watts will be suffiecient to run a 15K btu a/c for an extended period. I would like to run my lights, a/c and hopefully my television.

I talked to SunCoast RV about doing the propane, and as I figured, they said they had changed tons of the propane gens back to gasoline. Propane is obviously not as available as gasoline and presents a challenge to find in some instances.

From what I have gathered, I will spend ~$4000 to get the EV6010 and have it installed. With the 2 EU2000's I would be looking more like $2500.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:49 PM   #17
Shane01638
Established Member

M.O.C. #4613
What I was thinking was installing a reciever hitch on the back of the monty and hooking up one of those reciever mount racks. You could put the generators on that plus have room for whatever else. That will be right by the plug, get plenty of air, and is pretty far from the bedroom. That's what I was thinking about for the trip down the Alcan. Even though I won't be running them while driving. I would find some way to secure them so they wouldn't get stolen. Just my 2 cents.
Shane01638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:49 AM   #18
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Whoa, Shane01638! Talk with Lippert people before you hang that weight off the back end of the frame.

Dale, are you there?
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:17 PM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have the same setup as Gypsy. We have the generator secured to the hitch frame with a Kryptonite cable and covered with a rubbermaid plastic tub that is held down with a good bungee cord. It rode there all the way to Alaska and back and worked great in the bed of the truck. It's in the corner right behind the driver.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:50 AM   #20
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Well, as an update, running a generator in the bed is now out of the question. I purchased a rds toolbox/fuel tank yesterday and I am going to install it today. It holds 60 extra gallons and will be hooked to the stock tank with one of RDS's gravity feed kits. That will give me 90 gallons of fuel total

Since doing some research on the built in units, Guardian Quietpack seems like the best bang for the buck. $2400 shipped for a 6500watt generator with a 3 year warranty. No more than I will be using it, I think that will work perfectly and the price is not bad either. Do any of you have and experience with this generator? The biggest drawback to me is the weight of it. I think it weighs at or near 300 lbs. The search for more info continues!