Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
bigrockbruce
Established Member

M.O.C. #4292
Slideout Awnings - To buy or not to buy?

Sorry I am so full of questions this morning but I am trying to get our new 3295RK ready to go. Our Monty did not come with the slideout awnings and our sales rep didn't sound to encouraging about us purchasing them. He felt that the leaves and any pitch would just stick to the top of the awning and then make more of a mess when it rolled up. We do have to take the rig back in for a repalcement counter top in a couple weeks so we could have them install the awnings at that time. I am interested in your opinion of wheather to have the slideout awnings installed or not.
Thanks,
Bruce

bigrockbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had the factory rep talk me out of them for a few reasons. One being they do tend to flap in the wind, (according to him) second, they collect water if you get a hard rain and I leave my coach at the lake for 6months a year and am not always down there to get that water off. Third was like you mentioned, if you park around trees they do collect debris from the trees, an in my case since my slides are out all the time, birds and such will nest in there and you have to get up and get rid of them before you bring in your slides. Now after saying all that, I do wish I had ordered them when I ordered the coach. They seem to help keep your coach cooler and I have to go up and sweep the slides off before I bring them in since there is a tree near my site. I get all the dead branches collecting on the coach anyways.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
They do flap in STRONG WINDS!! Can be annoying.

They do collect water, but as the water evaporates or the wind kicks up, the water disappears and the awnings, that come with a spring, tighten themselves up.

You will have to sweep off WET leaves. Otherwise, we pretty much close the slides and don't worry about it.

BUT, you don't want to be standing by the slides with toppers, IF there is water up there (ice either!), cause you just might get a bit of a surprise. (I retract the slides slow, even stopping for a moment, if there is water up there, let it drain off, then continue retracting)

We love ours, and would not have a unit without them. Personal preference, do a search here, the subject has been discussed a few times.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
When we bought our Monty we were dealing with two different dealers. One said we did not need them for the stated reasons above plus the extra cost and did not want to sell the trailer with slide covers. We bought from the other dealer, spent the money and don't regret it. So far the wind flapping has not be a problem and it does keep the trailer cooler. The positives outweigh the negitives.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We had the dealer install ours too. It is a must in my opinion. Unless you enjoy getting up on the roof to sweep the slides off every time you put your slides in. I would go for it.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
On another thread here a while ago, I got myself convinced NOT to get the awnings. My dealer also tried to talk me out of them ~ wind noise was his primary concern. So now I am convinced I DO need them! How much are we talking? Probably mentioned in another thread ~ too lazy to search... thanks for your patience!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:33 PM   #7
bigrockbruce
Established Member

M.O.C. #4292
We are so appreciative for all of you taking the time to give your input on our question of "to buy or not to buy" the slide awnings. As for the price, this quote was dated Aug 19, 2005 from our dealer.
To install 3 slide toppers:
Parts & slides $928.35
Labor $892.50
Extras $32.85 (shop supplies $17,85, freight $135.00 and a dealer discount only good for 30 days -$120.00 WOW)
Tax and oversize load fee $155.85
TOTAL $2,009.55

That's why we are still thinking about it and might check another local dealer to price compare.
Linda
bigrockbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That be a little steep for me, too, Linda... unless you find a better price. I could probably sweep a few leaves off some slides for $2,000.00.
Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have them on mine now and wouldn't go without them after having them. I worked into the price when we purchased the trailer.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:19 AM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We put them on our 3295RK last year. Three slides installed for less than $1000. That was at Kitsmiller near Lansin MI.

After having experienced with and without, I had them added to the Cambridge before we took delivery. Four slides for $1436. That was full up list. Actual was buried in the deal.

Agood place to check pricing is Camping World. Not necessarily the cheapest but a good place to start.

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:37 AM   #11
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
So it appears the slide awnings are a good investment if you can get a good price. I am a little concerned about the flapping issue. Most of our camping is near the ocean and it is normally windy to the point I do not use the main awning very often even with 6 anti flappers and heavy duty tie downs. It sounds like they could be a problem especially the one over the bed. We had a thumping noise one night at the ocean and I couldn't figure out what the wind was moving. Next morning I discovered about 3" of the main awning pull strap with the loop end was slapping the side and left black marks. So it doesn't take much to create enough noise to keep me awake. Kinda nervous anyway since we were under a tsunamy watch and the fog horn was blasting all night. Still enjoy the ocean and it was only one out of 10 nights there.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:47 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Farmer Don

You will have to decide if the noise vs the other positive issues out weigh each other. We have spent 2 partial winters in the Rio Grande, it is windy there. We have not used our large awning there a lot cause of the wind. The flapping of the slide toppers was annoying after about 36 hours of straight high winds/flapping. Luckily, we only experience the severe flapping a few times during our visits there.

For us, there is no question, the flapping for a few days is OK, considering what we feel are the benefits of having the slide toppers.

Good luck in your decision.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:01 AM   #13
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We have them on ours. Wouldn't buy one without them. Can Be noisy in high winds.The water and leaves will roll off most of the time.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:06 AM   #14
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Thanks for the feedback. Will keep them in mind but hold off for now. We aren't full timing so they are probably not on our most important list at this time. BUT, if we buy new in a few years we will definately add them to our must have list.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:23 AM   #15
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I just asked my wife as she is a very light sleeper. Niether of us has ever even heard the slide awnings flapping. Most noises come from the regular awning. We regularly camp in big wind areas like Drunnond Island in the east end of the UP and on beaches in Mexico.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #16
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Well I guess I will put in my 2 cents worth. We did not get them right away thought I would just clean off the slides every time, well that sounds great until it is pouring or cold or you forget. We never had a problem but I thought what would happen if some Pine Cones got left up there, it would be my luck not only to destroy the seal but bend or break the outer edge of the slide. I called Campingworld and they had a sale and we had all 3 installed for a total cost of just undsr $1000. and we could not be happier. I clean them when I clean the trailer and in most cases they clean easily.
Just another thought.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:17 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
All I can tell you is our situation. First, we would not be without the slide awnings. We've had them on both Montanas.

We don't sweep anything off ours. Ever. Keep in mind when the slide retracts the roller for the awning is on the OUTSIDE far edge of the slide. Anything on the awning just slides off the awning. Possible exception is wet leaves. Everything else slides off. Ice, water, dry leaves, twigs, everything. If there are wet leaves we just let them roll up in the awning. Next time we extend the slides they'll dry out and will blow off with the wind or will roll off when we retract the slides again. We may have some stains up there but who is to see them?

Water. Yes, water will pool on the awnings and even cause them to sag in the middle when there's water on it. Not a big deal. It's just pulling more material off the roller. The wind will blow off some of the water. The rest will come off when you retract the slides (stand back, by the way). If you're there for awhile it will evaporate. We've had ten inches of snow on ours. We've had sheet ice on there. It all just slides off when we retract the slides. And we don't do that until ready to leave. We've stayed in one place as long as two months. I just don't worry about the slide awnings.

They do flap a little in the wind but ours are not that obtrusive. What we do hear we've gotten used to.

Awnings or not? Personal preference. We won't be without them but others feel exactly the opposite. Both are right. You should go with what you think is best for you, in my opinion.

For our 2001 Montana we had them dealer installed. For the 2003 we ordered from the factory. In each case it was under $1000.

Don, we have the same flapping awning strap hook. I solved that by cutting a small piece of that foam pipe insulation and sticking that awning loop to the inside of the foarm, where the glue is to stick to the pipe. It lasted 2 years and I recently lost it somewhere so have to build another one. It's a five minute job and it cushions the strap so it doesn't make the banging noise.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:21 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had already decided to get the awnings when ordering the new Montana and the discussion on this topic has convinced us we are doing the right thing..This forum is Soooo helpful to us
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #19
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
A bit of Johnny Come Lately here--but for those who are still sitting on the fence we will add our vote for the slide toppers. Two summers w/ the Montana, last summer on a cross country trip and this summer living in it for 8 weeks have convinced us that they are extremely useful. Agree with all of Steve R.'s comments.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:26 AM   #20
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
OK You have me convinced! When we replace the 2001 we will order it with the toppers.

Thanks Steve for the idea about the strap! I usually just tuck it up under the awning (when I remember) with the awning rod. But I have noticed it does flap a bit going down the highway also and usually won't stay tucked. I think the problem is the rubber loop thingy sewn inside the strap to keep the end open to make it easier to hook. It leaves the black marks on the sidewall and is hard enough to make the slapping noise in the wind.