Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
bowfish

M.O.C. #3733
shower

NEED HELP
SHOWER DOOR ENCLOSURE PULLING AWAY FROM WALL. NEED TO NO THE BEST WAY TO FIX. OPEN FOR ANY AND ALL HELP. 2001--3280RL MONTANA

bowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Bowfish,
I assume you are talking about the shower enclosure rather than the door? I would start by calling Keystone customer service and go from there. Perhaps visit with a dealer for information. Someone probably will be along with experience soon Good luck!

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have to wonder if this is a symptom of the flex problem with the overhang area like some of us have had. If so, Keystone is fixing those. I'd definitely recommend calling Keystone about this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
On my 2001 the 2 glass sidewalls are not anchored into the brass plated channel that is secured to the wall. The glass enclosure slips into the channel after the channel is attached to the wall. Once in awhile the door hangs when you try to open it. I just push the top toward the channel end and it works fine. I thought about putting some small screws through the channels near the top to hold the side walls but decided they may need to flex some in transit or the glass may get stressed and crack. However, thinking it through further. If I just anchor the glass sidewall on the interior wall channel (the door hinge side)and leave the outside wall channel free to flex it might work just fine.

Anyone notice this or have other suggestions? Do others have screws in the wall channels?

Bowfish may be having problems with the actual channel coming loose from the wall? Is your glass loose in the channel or does it have screws through the channel into the actual glass panel frame.

Does any of this make sense to anyone?
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Our shower enclosure wall pulled away from the RV walls shortly after we got the 2003 2955 2 years ago. I just took about a foot of double-sticky carpet tape (the kind with foam in the middle), pulled the enclosure out at the top slightly, attached the tape at the top of the enclosure in the middle, and pushed the enclosure and tape into the wall. It has been fine since then.

Jim Crockett
2003 2955RL
2003 Duramax 2500HD
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
bowfish

M.O.C. #3733
The door channel is pulling the shower enclosure away from the interior wall. Thanks for all of the info. We will start with Keystone first and go from there.

2001 3280RL
2003 Dodge Cummins
bowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drhowell

On my 2001 the 2 glass sidewalls are not anchored into the brass plated channel that is secured to the wall. The glass enclosure slips into the channel after the channel is attached to the wall. Once in awhile the door hangs when you try to open it. I just push the top toward the channel end and it works fine. I thought about putting some small screws through the channels near the top to hold the side walls but decided they may need to flex some in transit or the glass may get stressed and crack. However, thinking it through further. If I just anchor the glass sidewall on the interior wall channel (the door hinge side)and leave the outside wall channel free to flex it might work just fine.

Anyone notice this or have other suggestions? Do others have screws in the wall channels?

Bowfish may be having problems with the actual channel coming loose from the wall? Is your glass loose in the channel or does it have screws through the channel into the actual glass panel frame.

Does any of this make sense to anyone?
Don, this is a short in the dark but our shower door used to occasionally hang up and lifting it up would allow it to close. It turned out the magnet along the edge of the door had slipped down just a little and was catching on the door threshhold. A spot of marine glue under the bottom half inch of the magnet solved the problem. This isn't likely happening to you but, just in case....
Old 08-14-2005, 06:25 AM   #8
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Thanks Steve
No ours is moving in the wall channel. Is yours screwed through the channel or does it slip in the channel if you push the hinged side of the door away from the door opening?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, I just walked upstairs and looked at ours but I'm not sure I'm connecting with what you are saying. I opened the door and pushed on it, pushing it directly towards the stationary glass wall on the door hinge side. There is no movement. The channel has screws in it which I assume are holding one side of the door hinge. The channel next to the wall that holds that end of the stationary wall has one screw near the top and one near the bottom. These screws are both parallel to the white shower wall and perpendicular to the glass wall. The upper screw goes through the horizontal channel along the top of the glass and I assume through the vertical channel that fits inside it. I also assume there's a lip there on the white shower wall that holds the channel to the shower wall.

I can take a couple of pictures and post them if you tell me what to take pictures of. We have no movement in the walls at all.

By the way, I haven't looked to see if it is this thread or another but saw some comments about the bottom of the white shower walls not being caulked. DO NOT caulk those areas. I learned that the hard way. On our first Montana we noticed that and the dealer caulked them for us. We then developed delamination bubbles on the outside fibreglass (filon, not high gloss). Keystone fixed those bubbles under warranty. On the next (the current) Montana we noticed the walls not caulked and asked the dealer to caulk them. Different dealer than the first one. This one told us NOT to caulk those. They are intended to allow the moisture that gets between the shower wall and the wall behind it a place to drain or allow air to evaporate it (not sure which). If it's caulked that moisture has to find another way out. Thus our delamination and bubbles on the first Montana. I'm just relating what this dealer told me but it sure made sense to me. He was not aware of the delamination problem in the first Montana because of the caulking.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:57 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Thanks Steve. Your explaination makes sense to me. "The channel next to the wall that holds that end of the stationary wall has one screw near the top and one near the bottom. These screws are both parallel to the white shower wall and perpendicular to the glass wall. The upper screw goes through the horizontal channel along the top of the glass and I assume through the vertical channel that fits inside it."

The screw that is missing on mine is the one at the top. I was concerned that it was made to flex there and that I should not install one. Apparently there isn't enough flex to cause a problem in that area. Do you have one on the opposite wall of the glass enclosure also? Not the hinge side but the latch side.