Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Possible propane leak

MY wife has been smelling gas coming from the front trunk on our 2005 2955. We have had it to the dealer twice but I don't think they were able to find the front trunk because they certainly did not fix the smell. I noticed that the gas pipe runs across the top of the trunk area coming from the left tank through a cutout across the trunk and through another cutout to join the right tank. The pipe seems to be rubbing against the cutout so we have shut the tanks off and will do a leak test around the cutout areas. Question, will a regular gas repair company be able and/or willing to service a camping trailer? I know for sure that this 5r will never go back to that dealer if I have to take it to another state for service.

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
I dont know if a regular LP gas company will work on your RV, however they have the tools to find the leak. They had a hand held thing that gave off a load beebing/sound at the point of the leak. Which was at a conection, and then they put a wrench on it and no more leak. I filled up the empty tank which I had on board, and they did not charge me for the leak test or repair. Only took a couple minutes, and they said have a good day. I thanked them and have not had any LP smell since.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We had a smell of propane at the front of the Monty. I bought some stuff from Camping World and tested each side and found that on the passenger side the rubber hose which joins the metal bar which goes through to the other side of the 5er there was a very small leak. There did not seem anything we could do so we turned that tank off, no more smell. Our Dealer is going to look after it when we take the Monty in at the end of the month to have a few repairs done. This is when they put our new convection oven in, they already have the new one. Our other one stopped working 2 days before the end of our 7 week trip. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We're taking ours to the dealer in the morning to have it checked for a gas leak. Looks like it may be the curbside one also.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Peter-
The RV dealer should have a leak detector that will find the leak. It works the same as the techs use to find freon leaks on A/C systems only this one is designed to detect LP. You might be able to find it yourself by using a soapy-water solution in a spray bottle and soak all the connections in the area, if leaking the solution will bubble, may take a few seconds for the bubbles to appear.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Propane leaks have happened to me twice. Each time is was the regulator. Good idea to check this out while the dealer is checking things. Replaced the regulators each time and the smell was gone.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:36 AM   #7
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Most major propane companys that have service people are more than happy to check your rv system for leaks. They will often do it free of charge but hope to sell you some propane in the process. Normally if it is just a loose connection they will fix it for free also.

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #8
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Ours had a very bad propane leak so we took it to our dealer for repair and they found it and fixed it, except once they found the leak the failed to continue to check for others and guess what.

We still have a small leak and I have been told to mix a solution of 1/3 dish soap and 2/3 water in a spray bottle and go after each joint and you should see bubbles. We used this method when check for leaks in tanks when I was in the steel fabrication industry.

Would a match work?

Dick and Jackie Driver
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote