Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
Montana_306

M.O.C. #306
Ladder Rack

I have a 2000 3280 5th wheel. Problem with rear ladder rack. Tried a search but cannot seem to find anyone else who has this problem.

Two of the screw/bolts that attach the ladder to the rear of the unit have rusted through and broken off. The plate that attaches to the body of the trailer is OK, but the screw that goes through the ladder and what appears to be a metal sleeve that then attaches to this plate is broken. What I can see of the screw it is badly rusted and just broke in half. I have been in contact with the dealer in Manassas Va. and his parts man is trying to get an answer as to whether he can get new attachments or I will have to buy a whole new ladder. As of this date he has not gotten an answer.

Appreciate any input anyone could provide, about ready to take a hacksaw to the screw/bolt and see what I can build from the hardware store.

Montana_306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It may not work, but I might try soaking with liquid wrench and then using an easy-out. Should that fail, you might drill out the screw and rethread. Then I would replace with stainless screws. If all fails, then the hacksaw. Hope something works for you.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ttrep, I agree with Stiles' suggestions.

I had parts of the ladder apart on our 2001 2880RL. That's been about 4 years ago so I hope my memory is good enough to help a bit. One thing that surprised me is that screws that go through the vertical tubes and into the horizontal mounting tubes do NOT go all the way to the mount on the Montana. They go only into that black section of the horizontal tubes. If it's those outer screws that are messed up I think you can remove the screws from the mounts on the Montana and you should be able to lift the ladder off. I think there's four screws per mount to get them off. I had one of them off and it was not a big deal. If I recall, once that mount was off I could access the screw that holds the horizontal tube to that mount. I was afraid if I removed the mount something would fall inside the Montana and I'd be screwed. Not so. I would think if you removed the ladder you could easily get to the piece those outer screws screw into and thus get them removed.

Before buying a new ladder I'd check with the RV salvage places to see if they have parts or an old ladder you could buy cheaply and use for parts.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out and if we can help.

Also, a couple of years ago someone on MOC pointed out the ladder tends to accumulate water inside the tubes. I'd bet this is what happened to you. At their suggestion I drilled three small holes in the bottom of the lowest step to let water drain out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
Montana_306

M.O.C. #306
sreigle THANKS for the input. I figured there must be a coupling nut or "something" inside those tube because with it rusted through I could see the trailer mounting was more like a ball joint and the screw did not go into the trailer body.

RV salvage places is something else I had nopt considered. Will let you know.

ttrep
Montana_306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #5
tbolen

M.O.C. #1103
YOU CAN BUY THE SCREWS THAT HOLD THE LADDER TO THE BODY OF THE TRAILER. I GOT SOME FROM TERRELL CAMPING CENTER 1 888 633 1007. THEY WERE VERY CHEAP
tbolen is offline   Reply With Quote