Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2005, 03:52 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Gas Oven Question

Last night I had a large group (10) over for dinner and wanted to use the gas oven. Bill tried for 20 min. to get the pilet light lit but couldn't. We got it going before but it took a long time. Top burners work great and we did bleed it like the directions said. Does anyone else have this much trouble or know what might be wrong?

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:18 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Helen,

Long shot?? Spiders in the pilot light area of oven?? They love propane.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:40 AM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Not sure about yours but ours is now in the shop because when I did try to use it IT LIT ALRIGHT! Almost burnt my head up. When the service guy tried to light it the front burner lit to the tune of a flame about 7 inches high. Not blue but a bright yellow. He said it really needed to be fixed. DUH!!!
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:36 AM   #4
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Last night I had a large group (10) over for dinner and wanted to use the gas oven. Bill tried for 20 min. to get the pilet light lit but couldn't. We got it going before but it took a long time. Top burners work great and we did bleed it like the directions said. Does anyone else have this much trouble or know what might be wrong?

Helen
I had a hard time with ours until I read the manual.
I wasn't pushing "IN" on the knob while trying to light it. As soon as I did it lit right up.

HTH,

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We had the same problem, Colin could not light ours until I read the instructions, then we got it lit. The main problem with the 3400 is that if you are tall like Colin is there is very little room to light the pilot.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:30 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
A lot of people who have not used gas or propane forget that there are special safety features built into the lighting process. First the pilot light knob has to be depressed when trying to light the pilot light. It has to be continued to be depressed until the pilot light is burning for at least 30 sec. There is a thermal coupler attached to the pilot light. That has to warm up to a certain temp before the pilot light will stay on. It is not a 1-2-3 step process, everything has to work together to get it to work. I know its hard to see the pilot light if your tall like me, but it can be done. Happy camping..
Ken and Velda
(MOC 345)
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC crew cab duramax with edge
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Helen:
Although we have rarely had occasion to test our oven-lighting skills, the few times we have tried it we have not found it to be an easy process. The last time I tried, I almost gave up. Then I found that no matter how hard I pressed on the knob I was unable to push it in far enough to activate the pilot. [As you know, you are supposed to press on the oven knob while attempting to find and hold a flame to the pilot area -- at best a job for two or more people or for a contortionist.]

I finally realized that by pulling the knob off, I could press in the knob shaft enough to allow the lighting of the pilot. It seems that the shaft was too short, the hole in the knob was too deep, or something was out of ajustment such that the knob would "bottom out" on the face plate before the shaft would be depressed enough to allow lighting, if that makes any sense. I will say that pressing on the shaft was somewhat rough on the fingertip, but it worked for me.

I had plans of finding a small item about the size of a BB pellet or something to put into the shaft-hole in the knob in hopes of allowing the knob to fully depress the shaft, but I have yet found the motivation to see what might work in that way. As I say, oven use has not been a frequent need of ours, to date.

I don't know if your issue might be the same, but you might consider that possibility.

Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:08 PM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thank you all for your excellent responses. We tried them all. Roman 4 yours worked. Who would have thought, We resorted to lighting a candle about the right size and put it under the pilot while holding the switch in (without knob) Now that we know we will put this on our start up every week or so along with running our generator. One of the things I am noted for is my cooking so gotta have my oven, micro, crock pot, electric fry pan, grill and dutch oven. Now if someone will tell me how to get the Vikings game tonight on our Direct TV while we are in Packer country I will get down on my knees and kiss your hand.

Thanks again
Helen (Bill sure thanks you too)
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Now the idea of lighting a candle about the right size and putting it under the pilot is genious. Thanks for the tip.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Lighting the dang oven is one of the few times Pat is happy to be short.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:22 PM   #11
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
One of the many things I don't understand about RV design & engineering is that our stove-top burners, which are easily-accessible and easily-visible, have an electronic igniter. The oven burner, which can only be accessed through extensive contortion, must be lit with a match.

I'm sure there is a logical reason for that difference. I assume it involves economics. "User-Friendliness" must not be a high priority.
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #12
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
The stovetop and oven in our Montana is essentially the same stovetop and oven that we had in our 1985 Wilderness. Apparently, Suburban (the company that made our stove/oven) does not feel the need to spend any time or money updating this particular product and bringing it into the 21st century!

Obviously, a lot of the folks who use their Montanas for weekends and vacations don't really care about the archaic nature of this appliance. But why not have a "new and improved" model (i.e., easy to light) available for full-timers and those who would prefer an oven that doesn't require the ability to tie oneself in a knot in order to light it?

Maybe Keystone could lead the way in starting this appliance revolution!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:32 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also couldn't get it lit until Vicki told me I have to depress the knob. After that it's just like lighting a water heater in a stick home, as others described. Once the pilot is lit you can reduce the stooping and just watch the reflection of the flame on the bottom pan until ready to release the knob.

I don't know how Vicki does it but she can light this pilot without the serious stooping. She knows just where to hold the lighter and does it without looking. I keep telling her she's gonna blow us up if she gets the lighter in the wrong place and the oven fills with gas but she gets it lit quickly every time. So far... Next time that sonic boom you thought you heard might just be us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We too had a hard time with this ...usually dh will have the match and I will be depressing the knob...so far it has worked great like this.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote