Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Open Ground - Now and Then?

Had a strange experience. Arrived at site plugged in using 50a extension and 50a to 30a converter...both brand new. All ok overnight and in the morning. Once it got warmer, neighbors turned on their fans and some AC. My hardwired power system started shutting off and turning on power signalling an open ground. Happened over and over. Eventually turned breaker off. Turned back on around 530 and same thing. Waited until 7 730 then all was fine again...
I had virtually no power draw. Power center showed I was pulling 2 amps. I didnt have lights or AC on at all.

Thought maybe my extension cord or converter pigtail was the cause but wouldn't it happen all the time?

Am assuming it was an issue at the CG pedestal but wouldnt that happen all the time too if there was CG power issue? Can an open ground occur in CG wiring only when the load increases?

Any thoughts?

chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Sounds like there is a loose connection upstream in the park, and when more load is placed on the circuit, that loose connection starts arcing/burning and that is what your power center is seeing. The only way that will be fixed is, the park will have to have someone open up every pedestal and check/tighten every connection, and when they find the burnt connection, that will have to be repaired or replaced. Just be glad you spent the money on that power center, because it is working.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Chris-- What campground are you in so we all know and can be alert to the problems if we should stay there!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Warwick Woods CG in St Peter's PA. Off of Rt 23 outside Pottstown PA

UPDATE:
I want to get to the bottom of this issue. Is it my new 5er? The shore power cord? The extension cord? The 50a to 30a pigtail? The pedestal? The CG Wiring?

While doing research on this I ran across a gentleman, Mike Sokol, who seems to be well known as an expert in RV power. He runs a website www.noshockzone.org I went to his site, saw his email address on a post and took a shot at emailing him with this issue. Well, he responded within 12 hrs!! His response is noted below. I emailed the CG immediately. I still picked up a multimeter at Lowe's last night and am going to check my shore cord, extension cord, and pigtail cord (all of which are brand new).

Mike Sokol's response:
I believe you’re experiencing an interesting phenomenon I’ve named a reflected hot skin condition. This occurs at a campground where there’s the loss of a EGC Ground Connection between one of the pedestals and the service entrance box ground bonding point. If any other RV in that loops has any ground leakage from a line-to-chassis fault, then their own RV as well as ALL other RVs in that loop will have their own ground voltages elevated as well. The dangerous thing is that this hot-skin voltage can go all the way to 120 volts with potentially deadly currents that can electrocute anyone who touches the RV and the ground at the same time. So the campground needs to immediately have all their pedestals checked for ground continuity using something called a Ground Impedance Tester, such as an Amprobe INSP-3 or Ideal SureTest Analyzer. Please have the campground contact me for details before someone gets injured or killed.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Latest update: CG discovered and corrected a loose ground.

I'll likely use that CG and site again soon and can confirm whether all is OK. This is a good CG with very good owners. I expect all is OK now.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Chris on the update and glad to see the campground owners actually listened to one of their campers on a problem that was taking place. Keep us informed on your next camping outing there and if the problem has truly been taken care of! Have fun this season and if you're ever in the Omaha area give us a holler and we'll show you some Nebraska hospitality!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote