Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Galley Tank Repair

Took the Montana in for the third time for the Galley Tank after the first time it leaked the first time we filled it. After they fixed the same thing this time I got them to put braces under the tank. Again the first time we filled it the same thing. This time they put a piece of plywood under the tank and a new tank. We got the bill this time and there was no charge.

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Hopefully the third time is the last time
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:09 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
At least they treated you right after all you went thru.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Why isn't Keystone being held responsible for these problems on the galley tanks. The tank manufacture says that their tanks are supposed to supported when installed. It is their fault when these tanks fail because it is faulty installation. There should be a class action suit against Keystone for all these failed tanks due to improper installation. Why do we have to put up with this?
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is nothing new and they well know about it. We may be the king of failed tanks 6 on our 06 3400 and 4 already on this 13 3402.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

Why isn't Keystone being held responsible for these problems on the galley tanks. The tank manufacture says that their tanks are supposed to supported when installed. It is their fault when these tanks fail because it is faulty installation. There should be a class action suit against Keystone for all these failed tanks due to improper installation. Why do we have to put up with this?
Why? the RV industry sold roughly 350,000 units last year and only a very very small number experienced tank failures, and they will sell even more this year. So they have a take it or buy a tent attitude. More importantly no body gets hurt or dies because of it so there is no real money in it for a lawyer. I took the under belly off over the winter and the fresh water tank was strapped every 12 inches. why? because people including me travel with water in the tank it`s a very common thing. Keystone assumes you`ll dump your waste tanks before moving any real distance, (I do every time) so why strap it. I know this does the boon dockers no good. I called the manufacture of my waste tanks and they said supposed to be strapped @ 16 inch intervals. So I did an experiment, filled both of the large, black and gray to completely full, you would not believe how far they swelled downward and outward so think about it if they strapped the tanks on the bottom the swelling would have to go up and it doesn't have to maxed out for this to happen. I don't know about your Montana but all the plumbing to my tanks is ridge so it would pushing on the ridged connects every time you filled them to max or near that, guaranteed to break the pipe flange connections loose in time, way more warranty claims on a whole lot more campers than what we are reading about today, yes I know a slip joint fitting would solve that issue but at what cost. Remember meeting that price point the trailer guys always talk about. And strapping would probably solve problem of the tanks splitting on the seams. Note, I have 2 2" inch u channel beams that run across the bottom of the colorplast at the deepest part of the tanks both were bent down from the weight of the full tanks I`m sure. So this spring, yes it`s here, I will put strapping on the 3 remaining tanks and I found bellows type pvc couplings for the pipes to eliminate the ridged connections. I really don't want my black tank leaking on a nice concrete pad at the campground that I will be responsible for cleaning up. What else should we not have to put up with? weak tires, I put on G rated tires and sold the Towmax to a farmer, bouncing trailers, I put on 4 shocks, twisting-cracking frames at the shackle connections because of tight turns, I put on the Xfactor cross braces, worn out in 10 miles spring bushings, I put on wet bolts with brass bushings with the 1/2" thick straps,collapsing pin box frame failures, I put on an expensive air ride pin box and will pray, Thetford toilet flush valve leaking problem, I replaced the toilet with a better one, leaking cheap plastic anti siphon valve for the black tank rinse(what a mess that was) replace with an American made brass one. Fading front cap, had it repainted at Keystones expense( very lucky) Oh there is plenty more but you get the picture. They don't care because you`ll buy the camper anyway and they know it.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Wow...Just wow!! And I am thinking of buying a Montana? Why? I have heard this before, and I know it to be a fact. But what is one to do if you want a nice looking rig, that is priced in my range? Oh yea.......that's where they got us!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:30 AM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

Wow...Just wow!! And I am thinking of buying a Montana? Why? I have heard this before, and I know it to be a fact. But what is one to do if you want a nice looking rig, that is priced in my range? Oh yea.......that's where they got us!

Dave
I know my previous post ( see above )or more of a rant could be me just complaining, it is, but after my camper came with the factory direct at no additional charge axle 1/2" out of alignment option I was a little teed off, I put on the Correct Track to fix this so I would not ruin my new G rated tires (forgot to add this mod to previous post) I don`t want anybody think I`m bashing Montanas, there all the same no matter what brand you buy. My wife and I love our Montana and would buy it again, perfect floor plan, great out side color, inside colors and appointments right on the money, have had good dealer relationship, price was reasonable for what we bought, and go camping with it at every opportunity. Other than painting the front cap I have paid for and installed all the other improvements. So buy a Montana it`s as good or better than most. and there is something to said about the big Decal that says MONTANA going down the highway.
Just remembered camper came with a single motor landing gear set up, failed the second time out, I replaced it with a dual high speed motor set up. Now it goes up and down like a rocket. Should we we have to put up with this....... YEP
Old 04-26-2015, 03:48 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Agree. When you think you have problems with a Montana, spend some time in the park on your next trip talking to SOB owners.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:36 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Very good post bshqto and you are correct.. There are many folks on the forum that do not want to hear that kind of stuff here. We also know about the s trapping from talking to the tank vendor and the flex input piping we are having both done to the failed tanks we are having replaced. at our expense if necessary..

We pretty much do not post our problems any more as we are tired of hearing how we are doing something wrong or having bad luck or it does not happen to anyone else///I guess you are into that category also.

We can take care of ourselves and since I am having rare problems why report them. Interesting about the fresh water tank being strapped.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
captl27
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16077
I have had 2 forest river 5 wheels before buying my Montana from what I have seen and I have had my Montana for less then a year I think they are building a better unit the what is out there. I had many problems with my forest river products and that is why I now own a Montana and I am hoping that's this is the end of constant issues. Only time will tell but from what I see I think I have made the right move.
captl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Just depends on how deep your pockets are.Like you said, they aren't going to change and I definately won't recommend to anyone about buying Montana products unless you can afford all the extra repairs you will MOST likely need in the future. There won't be another Montana or SOB brand in the future. Just hope I can get my extended warranty to step up and do the repairs needed.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #13
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
[quote]Originally posted by captl27

I have had 2 forest river 5 wheels before buying my Montana from what I have seen and I have had my Montana for less then a year I think they are building a better unit the what is out there. I had many problems with my forest river products and that is why I now own a Montana and I am hoping that's this is the end of constant issues. Only time will tell but from what I see I think I have made the right move.
[/quote

This almost to funny the camper I traded in was a Rockwood ( forest river ) had it for 6 years and had no problems w/ tires (not one blow out) leaks, tanks, axles and components, frames, landing gear,but furnace cir. board died one year, one awning ripped from camper (my fault)did have some delame on one panel ( my fault, roof and window maintenance learning experience) but nothing that would really turn me away. We went to the Hersey RV show 2 years ago not look for a camper just to go for a day outing. we went through many many campers and low and behold when we walk into the Montana it just kind of hit me and the wife..... this just feels right, layout, colors, just long enough for elbow room but not to big and heavy the new features that we didn`t have now. We looked at each other and it was instant, silent communication "Lets buy it" and we did the next weekend, seriously that`s what happened and how it went down and I don`t regret the decision for it one minute. I`m sure you must understand my rants are not Keystone specific, it`s an industry wide problem. Like I said before they don`t care because if you don`t buy it the guy standing behind you will. I joined a W H O L E lot of forum boards and researched until I couldn`t read any more after the purchase and came to the conclusion that doesn`t matter what brand you buy they all have the same short coming's. Go on the Forest River board and it sounds just like this one, one problem after another. Remember as of now they all use the same suppliers for products and build them all basically the same way with the exception of Airstream (not my cup of tea) if I`m not mistaken Keystone-Thor just bought out Airstream so look for changes on that line. With the exception of painting the front cap and replacing the landing gear motor to a dual system and the black tank anti siphon I have had no other issues. Not bad as far as I`m concerned. All other Mods where to prevent future problems I read about from my research. Well the misaligned axle kinda got to me though, I mean 132inchs on one side and 132 1/2 on the other plus the shackle hanger was twisted a bit, "come on fells drink a cup of coffee before you start work". Like I said before I think Montana's are a bit better than most and I would buy the exact same camper if I lost it for some reason. OK I`m done.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #14
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
the answer i got about tank mounting on our montana's was, it all depends who is mounting the tank. some strap and some guys don't. my black tank failed. I'm doing the work and i can tell you its a very poor mounting design.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ben on the factory tour many, many times and never saw strapping on the gray, black, galley tanks. Just looked at pictures we took at the last rally tour of tank installation and no straps.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #16
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
From what has been posted on this subject I thought the tank manufacturer said the tanks SHOULD BE STRAPPED UP when installing. Keystone is not doing what the tank suppliers say is necessary. Total fault of Keystone. If the tanks had proper support, maybe we wouldn't be having these problems.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #17
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
At the fall rally one of the speakers told us that all of the tanks should be braced or strapped in against movement. On the tour we saw that they were just set in the available opening with no restraints. Our tour leader was questioned about it. His response was that Keystone did not restrain the tanks nor was it necessary. My gut feeling says that the unrestrained tanks may contribute to the number of failed tanks.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #18
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I tend to agree with the tanks needing strapping supports.
In my observation most of the leaks start around the top seam or where the vent or drain attach to the top of the tank, all my problems seem to be in that area, the Highways are rough and bouncy and these tanks flex and bounce when they have anything in them when underway. the ABS material is less money to manufacture than the earlier hard rubber or nylon looking tanks and a lot lighter in weight too.
I always travel with empty tanks now except for the Black Tank but I will dump it if I have the opportunity to do so at a camp park.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we have been in conversation with Keystone Owners relations about our Holding tanks .wW have two failed now and two failed last winter. That is four failed tanks on a 2013 3402 Big sky. Our concern is why do they fail and what can we, and Keystone , do to prevent further failures. After talking with the vendor and other source's the answer seems to be flex piping on the input and strapping under the tanks. We have been working with Steve Holmes and Nickolas both in owners relations who have been helpful and understanding. We are also concerned with having the repairs done in a timely manner so we can use the Montana this summer. We lost last summer due to time at the dealer. We have a positive outlook on all issues but we are monitoring progress and we are on the phone and E mail on a regular basses.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:52 AM   #20
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
My dealer finally got approval to replace bad galley tank. I am going to have them strap the tank and put the expansion joints in and hope that takes care of the galley tank problem. Haven't had any problems with other tanks except for overfilling black tank. Started to leak our flushing inlet. That may have been because I eliminated the anti-syphonig valve that was located between shower and TV wall. No access, so I used 2 shark-bite 90's and short pc of pipe to eliminate that fitting. Now I am going to dump after 10 days instead of 15. Hope this works and I am done with these tank problems. Hope your changes makes your trouble free also Rich. Good Luck. Jeff