Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2014, 04:01 AM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Video on slide maintenance

Rvtravel.com's newsletter for yesterday: http://www.rvtravel.com/?q=daily-rv-tips-issue3229496 had a video at the bottom on slide maintenance. I thought I'd mention this for the new folks and SOB owners since it addresses all different types of slides. As is usually the case I learned something myself about cable slides. It was mentioned that the cable should be lubricated on a regular basis with a silicone lube. It was probably a new idea to me since I don't have those type of slides, but if we ever buy a new rig those slides will be in our future.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Here is an additional thought about slide lube. This concerns the slide seals rather than the cables though. I finally got around to getting some of the slide seal lubricant this spring. After I used it, I looked at it to see what the active ingredient was. On this particular can, the main ingredient was simple mineral oil which is outrageously cheap when bought by the jar in the store. Can others respond with their thoughts? My thought was, buying mineral oil out of a jar in the store would last for years? Only down side to this is, using the aerosol can is much quicker than wiping down the seals with mineral oil on a rag. On the upside though, wiping it on won’t cause it to run down the sides and drip all over and make a mess.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:32 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Saw and watched the same video you're talking about and posted. It's a good video and a good reminder to all of us about our slides and what to do and watch for. Thanks Dick for posting it!

Today's main article of RV Travel is on sanitizing your water system. Only problem is they say to pour the bleach solution into the tank and that's kind of impossible for us with the newer units and no access to filling the fresh water tank except through the "convenient center"! A spare "all house water filter" takes care of that however!

RVtravel.com is well worth the read and it comes out daily with new articles and suggestions we all can use no matter what type of rig we have!

Jim-- I personally use 303 for my gasket lubing(which reminds me, I have to do that again) and it works great and no oily substance on the slides then to collect dirt, dust or any other nasty stuff that may scratch or gunk up the gasket or slide itself.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:38 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
And here I've got about 3/4 gallon of mineral oil sitting in my garage. Found it was cheaper to buy a gallon than a quart quite a few years ago. Now I've finally got another use for it!
Old 10-23-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Don't forget to wipe both sides of slide seals. The video only showed him wiping the outside part. IMO the video was very incomplete in regards to taking the time to show each process. Could be hard for a newbie to fully grasp the whole issue. For our seasoned vets, it's a good reminder not to forget these things.

Thanks Dick for posting.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote