Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Wheel Bearing Grease

getting ready to repack, I use valvoline synthetic wheel bearing grease and thinking of switching to mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease.

The auto parts guys dont travel full time we do. So what do you use and like?

Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Here is a caution statement from Dexter FAQs.
BEARINGS - What is the proper bearing adjustment procedure and recommended grease?
Please review the Dexter Service Manual for instructions and specifications relating to bearing adjustment and lubrication. WARNING: It is important NOT to mix different types of grease thickeners. The grease that Dexter Axle uses has a Lithium Complex thickener. Mixing our grease with a Barium, Calcium, Clay, or Polyurea soap based thickener agent will cause adverse affects. This may include causing the two greases to harden, separate, become acidic, or pose other hazards and damage to the bearings.

Dexter manual
lists approved greases.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Most greases I see on the market are lithium based- That being said, any popular brand will be adequate IF the old grease is removed and the bearing is "washed" in a solvent such as diesel fuel or kerosene- Dry thoroughly before repacking and you should be good to go- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Our Dealer uses the Valvoline, said it don't heat up and break down like alot of the others. I have no idea about the Mobil1.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Make sure the grease is for high temperature. It states right on the tube (if using a grease gun) High Temperature.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Mobil #1 is a very high quality product, we use it for our wheel bearings
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RonD

Mobil #1 is a very high quality product, we use it for our wheel bearings
thanks
Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jsmitfl

Our Dealer uses the Valvoline, said it don't heat up and break down like alot of the others. I have no idea about the Mobil1.
Unless your dealer is talking about Valvoline synthetic grease, he's bs'ing you. Even if he is talking about synthetic, he's only half right. Heat is generated by the bearing to bearing race contact. Grease reduces this heat by lubricity, but from what I have read, the lubricity rating of synthetic grease isn't much (if any) better than a good quality standard grease. What is different though is how the heat generated effects the grease, and synthetic grease and oil have been proven to retain their lubricity better/longer and tolerate higher temps than standard oil/grease products do.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

Unless your dealer is talking about Valvoline synthetic grease, he's bs'ing you. Even if he is talking about synthetic, he's only half right. Heat is generated by the bearing to bearing race contact. Grease reduces this heat by lubricity, but from what I have read, the lubricity rating of synthetic grease isn't much (if any) better than a good quality standard grease. What is different though is how the heat generated effects the grease, and synthetic grease and oil have been proven to retain their lubricity better/longer and tolerate higher temps than standard oil/grease products do.
i have been using valvoline seems to break down more than i like so im gonna step up an see what Mobil one does.

Thanks for the response
Old 09-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pugtracker

Quote:

Quote:

i have been using valvoline seems to break down more than i like so im gonna step up an see what Mobil one does.

Thanks for the response
I stopped using Valvoline products over 30 years ago, but that's a whole different story.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pugtracker

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the response
I stopped using Valvoline products over 30 years ago, but that's a whole different story.
Thanks TOM