Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Assateque state park

Has anyone ever stayed here. Howed you like it?

mrtgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
It has been three years since we were there. The State park is much better than the National park which is rustic.
The State park has one loop with electric with dump station on exit. The ponies do roam the park as well as deer. Do not leave Ice chest out. They know how to unlock and steal from them LOL.
NO PETS in State Park.
Yes I would stay there again.

These photos do not do the park justice because they were taken early April after major rain.
Black top pads (ignore water)
Electric loop "H" I think Bath house in background
Looking at dunes towards water - last trip before upgrading to Montana
Looking at dunes towards water
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
When are you planning on going. We around the area and know it well. Mosquitos are a real problem so pack bug spray. Also 1 x a year (June or July) they have a pony round up and acution and people come for miles around. It is a big deal. Not sure if you want to go that time or not. It is a definite something to see. They round them up and swim them across the ocean. It is the way they keep the numbers in control. You can google pony roundup and it tells all about it.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Im planning on going down there this month around the 28 thru april 4th or so. You cant get a spot there over the summer , everything is booked solid, but you can go now on a first come first serve bases. Hopefully theyll be some spots available and no bugs.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
If your going this month bugs would not be a problem. Hit end of May June through the summer months the mosquitos are hudge with teeth that kill!! They spray daily if that tells you anything. I love the horses but the bugs and bug spray I can not take. There is so much marsh area around that they thrive. Same it is a beautiful place.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Thats pretty amazing, cause like I said theres not an available site in the whole place for the entire summer.I HATE BUGS!! so they can keep em. Also Planning a trip to Gettysburg in June and/or Blue ridge Mts or Nova Scotia in August.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
I think people know the area accept the issue and prepare with off My sister in law has a RV site in that area. Her grandkids looked like they had chicken pox from bug bites. I am not willing to deal with that either. She said if they spray daily they are not an issue. I do not like the thought of bug spray in the air daily. I choose to stay at Rehobeth Beach DE which is also a state park (Delaware Seashore). It has no trees or shade but you can walk to the ocean from the campground. We go there often. They are doing construction on the bridge which is done but they are taking the old one down. We like it there because it is centrally located between Rehobeth and Bethany Beach. Its no frills but $34.00 a night. You many want to check it out sometime. It is almost impossible to get a site after school lets out to after Labor day. You have to book 7 months prior for June to Sept.