Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Replace mattress

Any suggestions replacing mattress. Have any of you replaced the Queen mattress with a King mattress? What brand have you found to be the most comfortable? We have the original mattress with a memory foam topper. I am ready to replace it with something more comfortable.

Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I would like to replace my King with a Queen! When I ordered, everything bigger is better right, wrong. I slept fine on the Queen in the old one and wish I had the space around the bed back that I used to.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Queen size sleep number bed.
BTW my number is 70
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Queen size sleep number bed.
BTW my number is 70
Ditto. My number is 60!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
the king bed is a calf king as they call it , its only 70" wide not 72" but the samr length,, we had a calf king made to our order ,,, sailer no rd corners
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Ditto to Select Comfort. I'm # 45 and Bill is #25. Just goes to show you that anybody can use them comfortably.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We went with the "bear bed" which is the equivalent of the sleep number bed. The sell factor was the built in Air pumps.Whichever brand they are great..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I would like to replace my King with a Queen! When I ordered, everything bigger is better right, wrong. I slept fine on the Queen in the old one and wish I had the space around the bed back that I used to.
My sentiments exactly!! Wish I had the queen and the extra room around the bed.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ronnelly

Any suggestions replacing mattress. Have any of you replaced the Queen mattress with a King mattress? What brand have you found to be the most comfortable? We have the original mattress with a memory foam topper. I am ready to replace it with something more comfortable.
We ordered a King and received a Queen mattress on our 3400. We bought the King that we were supposed to have from Keystone and modified the base ourselves. I don't spend a lot of time on the mirror side of the bed and we would not give up our King for anything.

You will have to go to the lumber yard and pick up a piece of 1/4 inch plywood to lay on top of, and screw into the "Queen" plywood you currently have. You need to extend about 5 inches further out each side, only on top of the section of plywood that is hinged - not necessary to support the side of the King mattress up by the headboard. Don't forget to angle cut the corners to clear when the slides come in.

We have a 4 inch memory foam on this king mattress and it is the best sleep in my 56 years.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote: From DSPRIK
We have a 4 inch memory foam on this king mattress and it is the best sleep in my 56 years.
I ditto what Dave says. We had a VERY expensive mattress in our stick home and this one is the best we have ever had. The topper hangs over a little but we aren't perfect either.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
We replaced the Monty Queen with the Tempur-Pedic Queen foam mattress about 3-4 years ago. It was one of our better investments although a bit on the expensive side. Also, it is quite a bit heavier than the original mattress. The sides are about 2 inches wider and the length is about 4 inches longer, but it fits with no interference with the slide in. Hope this helps.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I'm a 50 and Dave is a 45. Lovin' it!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We went to "The Mattress Factory" and had a custom mattress made to fit. It is better than the one in our stick house that cost 4X's as much!

Dorothy
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:29 AM   #14
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
We replaced the king bed with a queen. The king made it difficult for us to make the bed. More room around the bed with the queen. We are happy with the queen.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:59 AM   #15
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
Jolu...Did you have to do any modification after removing the king?
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 AM   #16
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
We replaced our king with a queen air bed from http://www.bearbeds.com/. Very comfortable and less expensive than sleep number. Easier to make the bed after trimming off the platform. Still plenty of room for a couple of heavy weights.
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We are use to a pillow top mattress in our stick built. We put a theraputic pad on top around 1.5 and on top of that what resembles a feather mattress pad (made of pieces of memory foam in a mattress cover). It makes the bed so much more comfortable. We got both at Boscov's for about $100.00. If you are interested in the exact name of the mattress cover pm me and I will find the name on the topper in the RV and pm back... It saved us from having to buy a mattress.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #18
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Bill M.
All I had to do was cut the plywood down about 3" on each side. Took the plywood outside and cut it down and put it back in. It had very few screws in it. You will have to detach the struts and reattach them.
The plywood now measures 58 1/4" wide.

We used a reg queen sized Visco-Elastic Memory Foam mattress and the slide closes with the mattress snug to the dresser. The foam mattress measures 60"x80".

Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
lbyoung

M.O.C. #8972
We replaced our king mattress in our 3400 in Jan. I found a great website: Overnight Mattress.com, where I bought our Visco foam queen mattress (Cool Bamboo 9" foam). It is an American made product, with a fantastic guarantee of replacement or full money back if not satisfied. It arrived by Fed Ex in 3 days. After sleeping on it for a week, we were sure we wanted to keep it. We trimmed (sawed) the edges of the platform to fit and have gained more room on the closet side of the bed. It is a heavier mattress, but we have had no problems with it and have found it to be a great mattress to sleep on.
lbyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #20
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Update on replacing our original mattress. Mattress Barn in Florida had all of their mattresses 50% off, so decided to replace it with a queen size latex memory foam. It was on Sale for 999., but since we did not need the bottom they reduced the price to 699. It is very comfortable - no springs, so the slide should not be a problem. I bought the extra deep bottom sheet, and also the protectabed mattress pad. Seems like we have more room than the original queen size, since the bed is longer and is solid so you can sleep right up to the edge of the bed. We took a suggestion from someone on the MOC to cover the platform with a vynal table cloth. Now it is so easy to move the mattress for changing your sheets. It just slides and does not take any effort to move the mattress to get the top corners when you change your sheets.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ronnelly

Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote