Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Golf cart rack on Mountaineer 348RLS

I saw it, but still don't believe it. He took off the stock rear sliding bike rack. He then welded to the frame a setup that he fabricated himself which looked like a triple receiver class 3 hitch with 3 removable 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" extensions that hold a portable platform of 2x12's. They were hinged for a ramp to drive his cart up on. He says he's towed it from W. Pa to Myrtle Beach and back, and locally several times w/o any problems. I didn't have a camera with me and he was loading up to leave. He said he had a little more tail bounce than he was comfortable with so he's going to rebuild it with 2 swivel wheels to improve ride and support. I'm still trying to figure out how to reinforce the stock rack on my 348RLS. I don't trust those skimpy brackets that bend too easy. I almost bought a Glacier Bay last month. Their pull out bike rack is twice as strong and on ball bearing glides. This guy has reservations at my seasonal CG for labor day and says he'll have his new set up in place. I'm going to try to photo and post if he agrees and I can figure out how to do it.

ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Ok,,now let me get this straight..he has his frame ridged to the cart hauler, and now he is going to put swivel wheels on the back edge? What happens when you hit a dip in the road? Something has to give..probably his 5th wheel frame I would imagine. There is a solution to his problem which I have. Go to www.swivelwheel.com and you will find swivelwheel trailers just for the back of 5th wheel trailers. I have a single wheel trailer for my Harley. It works great, and I can back up without jacknife. A simple solution for carrying 4 wheelers, cycles, or golfcarts.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
He said he's he's going to rebuild it and add swivel wheels, rather than pay them for a whole trailer. He tried to explain it to me, but it was way over my non mechanical mind. However, you're reply helps me understand why he has to rebuild it. He still has what amounts to a class 3 hitch welded to the frame.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 AM   #4
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
There is not a lot to those swivel wheel trailers, but they are expensive. They are reluctant to sell you just a wheel, because I was going to build one myself also. They claimed there was lots of engineering involved to make it track correctly, and not have the wheel shimmy...like grocery carts can do. I finally bought one because I do full time, and don't have the time to build. I also workcamp full time at different RV parks so don't have access to all the tools I need. I bought everything including the ramps and tiedowns and it came to almost $1800.00. Ouch!!
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote