Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Power Upgrade to 30 Amp Mountanineer TT

Our coach came with a 30 Amp Shore Power connection. This is generally not a problem when limiting your power usage to only two high amperage draw appliances, i.e. air conditioner, water heater, hair dryer, microwave, electric space heater, etc. This was only a problem for us when using two space heaters when camping in cold weather. It is easy to forget and turn on the microwave.

I have noted that several people on various forums recommended using a separate drop cord out to the 20 Amp plug found on 99% of power pedestals. This adds an additional 20 Amps of power for use in the coach to power your space heater or whatever.

With this in mind, I decided to make this a more permanent addition. Instead of using a drop cord, I added a 20 Amp male twist/lock connector with a cover to the side of the coach and added permanent GFCI protected outlets to the bathroom and washer/dryer compartment to more safely use this additional power.

Here is a link to the installation. http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...0_Amp_upg.html

While we don't have the 100 Amps of power that a 50 Amp rig has, we now have 50 Amps of power which is adequate for our needs.

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Pretty smart cookie there, Lamar.
I added a 20 amp line to my old TT, makes it lots more livable.
Good job, and a nice install.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Great looking install, Lamar. This could come in handy for alot of applications. I use the separate outlet for a refrigerator I carry with me. I have considered doing the same to my unit.
When is a good time to bring my unit by your place for a custom install?
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Very nice install.
I did the low impact version of the second line to our counter in the kitchen. Put a 20 amp ground fault outlet with the line going out the same outlet cover as our 30 amp cord. It only runs a toaster or coffee pot, but is on a separate circuit.
I like what you did in the bath for a plug, our bath is on the same circuit as the kitchen (why did they do that??), so a separate circuit for a space heater (or?)there would be an awesome addition. I have to use the bedroom as a power source for that space heater.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Another solution would be to add a second 30 amp service. Had a boat wired like that...the marina did not have 50 amp service at our dock, so everybody with two A/Cs had two 30 amp service.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Have you run into a situation where the 20 amp service on the pedestal was tied to the 30 amp breaker as well? Was at a Corps of Engineers park last weekend and when I shut off the 30 amp breaker both the 20 and 30 amp outlets went dark. Not good if your total power availability if 30 amps no matter how you are configured.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Guys,
Thanks for the kind comments. I thought I would pass this along for others that have a 30 Amp coach and have problems with running multile high draw appliances. Seeing all of Ozz's mods inspires me to do some myself.

Steve,
I have seen power pedestals that do not have the additional 20 Amp circuit and have seen pedestals where the 20 Amp circuit is tied into the 30 Amp circuit. In those cases you have to get by with 30 Amps.

CAT320,

I am giving some thought to making an adapter that would connect to a 50 Amp service that would have both a 30 Amp and 20 Amp plug that I could use when the pedestal has a 50 Amp and 30 Amp circuit, but no 20 Amp service. I have only seen this scenario a couple of times. A couple of weeks ago the site we stayed on in Pigeon Forge had a 50 Amp and a 30 Amp, but no 20Amp circuit.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote